Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    but MB - you're forgetting the most important thing about marraige - the presents
    They're not marriage presents, they're wedding presents Wedding's are wonderful, but who needs the contract?

*plans anti-marriage*

ReputationRep:
    Don't underestimate finance. My parents considered getting divorced to make it easier to pay for university...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drogue)
    You can promise to stay with someone, but you can't promise to love someone.
    Well my nan and grandad are the most in love people i know! And they promise all those years ago 'til death us do part', and they're still together and happy.
    I understand where your coming from, but I hope when the time comes for me to marry someone (if it does!) id want to be sure that I could promise to love them til I die.
    I really believe love is something you can both work at, and if you are both committed then surely they can love someone years after the wedding?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoecb)
    Don't underestimate finance. My parents considered getting divorced to make it easier to pay for university...
    How does that work?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoecb)
    Really? i guess its true, people I know whose parents are divorced are getting a better loan than me! Even though my parents dont earn as much as their parents in total... i wish my parents got divorced lol :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe in marriage in the traditional sense. The divorce rate is an utter disgrace to this so-called 'sanctity of marriage' that non-religious people seem to quote against the legalisation of single sex marriages/unions.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see marriage as a contract- that sounds as if it is some kind of a legal work in which you are forced to sign, but you would rather not.

ReputationRep:
    Marriage will bring back true values and morals.

I was always brought up to respect my elders no matter the decision, and coming from a married couple sounded so convincing and so right.

Marriage should not be treated in such disregard by the modern society of nowadays (celebrities do not help). It is a vowel that you shall take your person to be their lawful wedded wife or husband.

Divorces should be made harder for the general public. No matter the frustration, people can be civil and can work on their relationship. The happiest people in the world are always the couple who have been married for 60 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poptart86)
    Well my nan and grandad are the most in love people i know! And they promise all those years ago 'til death us do part', and they're still together and happy.
    I understand where your coming from, but I hope when the time comes for me to marry someone (if it does!) id want to be sure that I could promise to love them til I die.
    I really believe love is something you can both work at, and if you are both committed then surely they can love someone years after the wedding?
    Oh yes, people can love someone for their lifetimes. It happens quite often. What I'm saying is that when they got married, they didn't know they'd love them for their whole lives, because you can't know how you'll feel in the future. You might think you will, and you'll probably believe you will, but you can't know the future.

Many people do fall in love forever, but as the divorce statistic shows, for many people the emotion doesn't last. My point is that at the time they got married, you couldn't tell which was which. To sign something to say you'll love someone - not that you'd stay with them and be faithful, but that you'll actually still have that emotion for them - until you die is dishonest, as you can never *know* how you'll feel in the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by walshie)
    [Marriage] is a vowel that you shall take your person to be their lawful wedded wife or husband.

I'm sorry, I just had this wonderful image of a two people handing Es and As to each other on their wedding day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drogue)

I'm sorry, I just had this wonderful image of a two people handing Es and As to each other on their wedding day

Maybe you can do that- give A, E, I, O, U.... brings it to 2 1/2 marriages... hmmm. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    If/when we decide to have children, my partner and I will marry. If not I don't see the point, I'm not religious and it's a lot of hastle for a small tax break!
    But then you are just getting married for the sake of it and not because you want to. Why do it for the children? If you don't want to get married without children, then surely you mustn't REALLY want to marry with children, and therefore if it ends i divorce it will be worse for the children in the long run anyway.. You might as well stay unmarried if it's not what you both truly want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lynseyweth)
    But then you are just getting married for the sake of it and not because you want to. Why do it for the children? If you don't want to get married without children, then surely you mustn't REALLY want to marry with children, and therefore if it ends i divorce it will be worse for the children in the long run anyway.. You might as well stay unmarried if it's not what you both truly want.
    But that's not for the sake of it, that's to ensure the children have a stable environment to grow up in I guess. And there's all the legal advantages which should be considered once children are in the equation. It doesn't have to be about flowers and romance for everyone..

Cxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ciara)
    But that's not for the sake of it, that's to ensure the children have a stable environment to grow up in I guess. And there's all the legal advantages which should be considered once children are in the equation. It doesn't have to be about flowers and romance for everyone..

Cxx
    But they don't want to get married! If they get married once they have children they are doing it for other people and not themselves.
    As many people keep pointing out a lot of marriages end in divorce and so therefore it won't be a stable environment for the children! I personally think if you don't get married because you want to then you might not be as happy as you would be if you stayed unmarried.

But that's just my opinion. I think only get married if you want to, and for yourselves, not for anyone else.

ReputationRep:
    I do.

ReputationRep:
    definitey believe in marriage.
    not at a young age tho, i believe i need to have lived my life and worked etc and found the right guy, probably around the age 27/28 would be good.

ReputationRep:
    i do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zaf1986)
    I do.
    (Original post by Soapysudds1)
    i do
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    ^
    whats so funny :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zaf1986)
    ^
    whats so funny :confused:
    It sounds like a play on the words "i do" which you say at a wedding... I thought that was intentional!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 1, 2005
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.