Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eeyore)
    It sounds like a play on the words "i do" which you say at a wedding... I thought that was intentional!
    sorry, was a bit slow on the uptake - lack of sleep

ReputationRep:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zaf1986
    I do.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Soapysudds1
    i do
    Genius!

ReputationRep:
    Argh! :eek:
    Am I the only one here who doesnt believe in marriage?
    Legalisation doesnt mean a proof of comitment, fidelity, or any other factor that will make a long-term relationship work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FlyingIsis)
    Legalisation doesnt mean a proof of comitment, fidelity, or any other factor that will make a long-term relationship work.
    No one is saying it does, but it a nice way of showing your love to one another, being totally comitted and sharing your love and happiness with those who are closest to you.

ReputationRep:
    So what if you WERE the only one here who didn't believe in marriage. That's your belief. That's your right. That's as is should be.

Although I believe in the principle of (non-religious) marriage - I totally agree with your reasoning against legislation.

ReputationRep:
    My parents had their 34th wedding anniversary last week
    I still believe in it - but would only want to do it with one person myself.

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting married in June, so I'd better believe in it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThePants999)
    I'm getting married in June, so I'd better believe in it...
    Congratulations!

ReputationRep:
    You're not. I completely agree

ReputationRep:
    This is just something I thought as I read your post; marriage isnt a 'long-term relationship'. I mean it it is....but more lifetime relationship. When I think long term relationship I dont know why but I feel its a relationship that will come to an end eventually.

Oh never mind ignore me and my 'we need marriage' ramblings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mangomaz)
    This is just something I thought as I read your post; marriage isnt a 'long-term relationship'. I mean it it is....but more lifetime relationship. When I think long term relationship I dont know why but I feel its a relationship that will come to an end eventually.

Oh never mind ignore me and my 'we need marriage' ramblings.
    I understand what you mean....
    i just find the idea of "forever" in marital terms rather unnerving

ReputationRep:
    How many of us still believe in marriage?
    Bearing in mind the current divorce rate is now 1:3
    I believe in marriage, but I still think people can be deeply in love and never need to marry.

I don't think I want to get married for a verrrry long time though - if my family is anything to go by, then, well... don't bother.

And if your girlfriend ever starts talking about marriage, then think verry hard.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, of course I believe in marriage. The most important thing to me in life is to get married and have a family.

I'm a little hesitant of it now though because I've lost trust in girls to commit properly. When I fall in love I do it for life. I don't mean I still love them now, but I won't be the one to end it because I'll always keep trying and working things out with them, otherwise I wouldn't have fallen in love in the first place.

After a couple of people that you would commit to spending your life with give up and stop trying, you start to wonder what the chances are of falling in love with someone that can actually make it work.

I guess, as some people have already said, it all comes down to who you're with.

ReputationRep:
    My great uncle was married to someone and living in a flat with another couple, and they ended up divorcing and "swapping" partners, but by complete coincidence, they all had the same surname, so even though they didn't marry again, everyone probably thinks they are anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fleur-de-lis)
    I very strongly believe in marriage. The secret lies in finding the person who shares your values...
    yep, totally agree with you.

marriage is more about sharing your life with the right person in holy matrimony. well i cant think of the reasons why people should marry but you will certainly b e blessed.

a marriage made in heaven will surely last here on earth. hehe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicbloke)
    I don't think I'd ever get married. If I wanted to spend my life with someone and they wanted to spend their life with me then we would not need the state or a religious institution to declare it.

MB
    wont you want her to be called your wife. partner sounds kinda pathetic to me. no offence but it does

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andyj72)
    wont you want her to be called your wife. partner sounds kinda pathetic to me. no offence but it does
    I agree, partner sounds like a business partner or something! "Other half" is quite nice though

ReputationRep:
    i hve only read the first page and think that some people think marriage is so insignificant and irrelevant these days. it clearly isnt. marriage is a commitment that both to uphold values, that is to stay together thru think and thin, to love and cherish each other to death do they part. it is a promise taken before God and man. the reason why people come is to witness the wedding as it taking place and to know they took such steps.

marriage is not an easy ride. many people think marriage is wot is shown on tv like couples always happy and no problems. but the reality is that these things do happen and its up to both to sort these problems out. it may take time but if you do love each other you will sort the problem out.

as i said earlier if your wife loves you or your partner(i will so hate to call the person i wont to spend my life this ie partner) you will wont her to be called mrs (your lastname/surname)

dont you guys think so. a poll should be set up also.

i think people today are overseeing some important things and regard them as insignificant and irrelevant

ReputationRep:
    I agree, partner sounds like a business partner or something! "Other half" is quite nice though
    totally agree with you. that sounds good to and more respectable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andyj72)
    totally agree with you. that sounds good to and more respectable
    I much prefer to use the term "other half" because I don't find the word "boyfriend" particularly appropriate, particularly given the fact that my other half is much older than me, but at school people would give me funny looks and whisper among themselves when I used the term. I don't know why, and I found it rather upsetting.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 1, 2005
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.