1/2 + 1/2 = whole
blissy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Eeyore)
1/2 + 1/2 = whole
yeah but I'm not a half, I'm a whole in myself. Two wholes put together, not two halves that can't function without each other.
But then that's just me.
fleur-de-lis
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Slightly off-topic: 'Partner' & 'other half' is better than saying 'girlfriend' or 'boyfriend' (in the case of individuals over 50).
Agrippina
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by blissy)
yeah but I'm not a half, I'm a whole in myself. Two wholes put together, not two halves that can't function without each other.
But then that's just me.
Fair enough
andyj72
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Eeyore)
I much prefer to use the term "other half" because I don't find the word "boyfriend" particularly appropriate, particularly given the fact that my other half is much older than me, but at school people would give me funny looks and whisper among themselves when I used the term. I don't know why, and I found it rather upsetting.
ah i get you. also i dont think much older people than us say who are in their 30 or 40's still are in a partnership and refer to thewir other half as my boyfriend or girlfriend. eg kylie an her bf
andyj72
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
But then that's just me.
ur a half in genes and stuff. the biologists can elaborate but u need another to form a full :p:
Socrates
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
But then that's just me.
if you were old fashioned, you could say that both depend on each other for various things, hence they make up the 'whole' together, especially its the two "halves" that make up the "whole" child
yo-less
Report 13 years ago
start a poll,someone!
yo-less
Report 13 years ago
But then that's just me.
makes sense
killerbee
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i believe in marriage - especially to josh holloway

which means i also believe in him getting a divorce first
KenzoKenzo
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yeah i beleive in it - im a catholic so boiiiii lol - but on a serious note, its all about finding the one who is gonna keep u on your toes, if anything, be so in love with ur girl so much that your a bit blind - for me that's the only way to stay faithful otherwise, its gonna be divorce after 2 years.
sugarwhirl89
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I believe in marriage, but you shouldn't just dive in for it. My half sister and her husband (I still can't get over the fact they married last october ><) have been dating for longer than I have been alive before they decided to get married, and they're very happy together. I think that you just have to meet someone that you love and he/she cares for you in the same way and be willing to live with them for the rest of your life. There's no such thing as a perfect person, therefore I don't believe in a perfect marriage either, there will be ups and downs.
SamTheMan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by FlyingIsis)
How many of us still believe in marriage?
Bearing in mind the current divorce rate is now 1:3
Was there anything to believe in? If you mean whether couples in love still feel the need to marry... well love rarely comes into the equation of a marriage. More couples get married because of the security (financial, emotional, sexual) than because they're in love and it's always been that way. Already, not that many couples are in love but are together for mutual benefit, so forget about the married ones :rolleyes:

We can still hope that we'll be one of the lucky ones who are open to falling in love and will find someone special...
FlyingIsis
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
(Original post by SamTheMan)
Was there anything to believe in? If you mean whether couples in love still feel the need to marry... well love rarely comes into the equation of a marriage. More couples get married because of the security (financial, emotional, sexual) than because they're in love and it's always been that way. Already, not that many couples are in love but are together for mutual benefit, so forget about the married ones :rolleyes:

We can still hope that we'll be one of the lucky ones who are open to falling in love and will find someone special...
absolutely agree....its rather tragic whne you think of the marital future of our generation
eurasianfeline
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I don't believe in marriage.

It would be nice though if someone can change my opinion towards it...but for now...I can't see myself getting married. ever.
TKR
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think I beleive in marriage or *pukes* civil partnership anyways. I can see myself settling down when I'm older and one of my main goals in life is ot find someone that I genuinel want to share and spend the rest of my life with.

as for terms of endearment - whats wrong with lover?
FlyingIsis
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
what about same-sex marriages?
eurasianfeline
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by FlyingIsis)
what about same-sex marriages?
I don't see why same sex or not should influence the success of a marriage.

I'm pro gay rights.

but i'm still cynical about marriage...whatever sex marriage.
Lush Law
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I definitely believe in marriage, it can work for some people. I just find it dispicable that people feel the need to make prenuptial agreements [although these are not legally binding]. Talk about giving up on a marriage before it's even started. Jeez.

I so hope I settle down with someone I love for life. I can't wait
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (199)
27.95%
No (513)
72.05%

Watched Threads