Turn on thread page Beta

How many of us still believe in marriage? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by red_roadkill)
    I definitely believe in marriage, it can work for some people. I just find it dispicable that people feel the need to make prenuptial agreements [although these are not legally binding]. Talk about giving up on a marriage before it's even started. Jeez.
    I think it's actually quite a sensible thing to do. They are simply acknowledging reality and preparing for the worst, while hoping that it will not come to that. Better than getting married thinking that everything will be rosy for the rest of their lives only to end up divorcing anyway and squabbling over who gets the TV.

ReputationRep:
    I really agree in marriage - i think that it is a binding of two people together.

ReputationRep:
    Yay for marriage!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by red_roadkill)
    I definitely believe in marriage, it can work for some people. I just find it dispicable that people feel the need to make prenuptial agreements [although these are not legally binding]. Talk about giving up on a marriage before it's even started. Jeez.

I so hope I settle down with someone I love for life. I can't wait
    I don't like pre-nups either. It is as if you are quite aware that something will go wrong.

ReputationRep:
    premptive

ReputationRep:
    sel, u actually WANT to get divorced lol ! views on marriage indeed! Unless...uve actually gone crazy and decided to finally marry Marco. If this is the case....I AM YOUR ONE AND ONLY BRIDESMAID! UNDERSTOOD?! Well, maybe Dawn too, but thats cos she's ur sis n she's cool. :P neways. I'll b the maid of honour. WOOO! FLYING ISIS IS CONSIDERING MARRIAGE! Big thing for someone who actually wants to get divorced at least twice and get a Doctor name tag

ReputationRep:
    I don't feel marriage has been cheapened by the Britney Spears stunt of marrying in jeans looking like a chav and then divorcing the next day stunt, she's just total tw*t anyway.

I hope I settle down. I'll be eternally disappointed if I don't.

Do people think gay marriage should be allowed AND if so is it cheapening the value of marriage, which is originally a religious institution?

ReputationRep:
    I've lost faith in marriage because all my relatives have divorced, and my parents are in such bad terms that they would have ages ago if it wasn't for me and my brothers. I used to fantasise getting married all the time...but the older i got and the more i realise how much my parents despise each other, the less faith i have over marriage. And then I found out my dad has had an affair for a long time already, and my mom sank into chronic depression (like my aunt did when she had her divorce and had to stay in a mental institute for a yea). I just no longer believe in marriage anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eurasianfeline)
    I've lost faith in marriage because all my relatives have divorced, and my parents are in such bad terms that they would have ages ago if it wasn't for me and my brothers. I used to fantasise getting married all the time...but the older i got and the more i realise how much my parents despise each other, the less faith i have over marriage. And then I found out my dad has had an affair for a long time already, and my mom sank into chronic depression (like my aunt did when she had her divorce and had to stay in a mental institute for a yea). I just no longer believe in marriage anymore.
    i know what you mean but what happened to your family and relatives to happen to you may not necessarily happen to you. its all about choosing the right person. it may require patience but once you find a soul mate that has all you want then it may work. if you rush into it then maybe it wont work

marriage isnt rosy anyway. there are ups and downs, it all depends on how you deal with them

ReputationRep:
    thank God for divorce

ReputationRep:
    God didnt make divorce. we did. ok thats it

i'm making a poll

ReputationRep:
    hey people, this morning on BBC news, there was a report on how many people living in the UK that are married and living with their children and single parent families and the gap was huge. there were more single parent families who had children from different men which is absolute disgraceful.

it seems that grown mature people have lost some sort of shame. i personally think so. how on earth can 3 children in a family bare different surnames, also from different men. it doesnt sound nice.

so i just wanted to know how many people still believe in marriage and those that dont. and what are your views on children from a family having different surnames because they are from different men.

ReputationRep:
    Um... Depends what you mean by that. If I did get married, of course I'd work to make it last.

But I'd do the same if we didn't dress up and have a party.

ReputationRep:
    do what exactly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andyj72)
    do what exactly?

...work to make it last. Like I said in my original post.

Marriage is certainly something I wouldn't enter into lightly. But I wouldn't feel like I need to get married, I don't think. I am only young, so that could well change.

As for the kids with different fathers... Hm, well it depends entirely on the situation. Some parents are just, well, ****gy about it. Others aren't. One of my friends has two sisters, both by different fathers, but each of them were born into long term relationships/a marriage with a good amount of time between the births, and then something unforseen happened. These situations are rarely black and white.

ReputationRep:
    i can understand and have nothing against the people who genuinely thought that their marriage would last, who waited at least 5 or so years before they got married, were mature about thier decision etc. but because of circumstances beyond their control divorced. Sometimes it just doesnt work and you couldnt have done anything to prevent it.

However, i think it is stupid when people have only known each other for a year get married cos they are caught up in a romantic whirlwind, or if they marry someone thinking that they will change their ways once they r married. It is people like that that tarnish marriage.

I still believe that i will have a one true love and i will marry him and it will all be lovely, and we cna grow old together :O

ReputationRep:
    Maybe its the experiences I've had, I don't believe in marriage. A few of my friends are married or engaged and I look at them and think are they really happy on the inside because most of them seem so sad. My parents are also separated which I know has affected my outlook on marriage.

ReputationRep:
    yea several factors influence our decisions on marriage but we are individuals, so we should make up our own decisions independently without always dwelling on the fact that stuff happened to tom, **** and harry.

i still think having severl surnames is a bit off slighly

ReputationRep:
    I believe that one's views on marriage change as one gets older. When I was around the age of 10 I was intrigued by marriage and there were many questions about it that I couldn't answer. Nevertheless I lived with my grandparents and they had a very stable relationship within their marriage. This made me view marriage in a positive light for a while, despite the fact that my parents got divorced when I was 3. However as I grew up and my hormones started taking control of my body, I began questioning "How could I ever limit myself to one woman?" It took me quite a while to fully appreciate what love really meant. However, that only lasted a few days because so far my grandparent's marriage is the only truly successful one that I have witnessed. I guess I am too afraid. I don't want to marry a woman who I will be happy with and would love only during the first few years. What then? I don't want to feel unhappy for the rest of my life because I can't get the fact that I might have chosen the wrong person out of my head. Also I'm quite an individual and I really look forward to a successful career. I find it hard to believe that I will succeed in 1 let alone 2 tasks that require my full concentration. I was considering marriage after I have created a career for myself. But perhaps my views will change drastically in the next couple of years.
    For now, I am a non- believer.

ReputationRep:
    Many people are irresponsible, it's that simple. I hate when people go on about gay marriage in the States and how wrong it is. I think it's wrong that there are so many single parent homes, and there are no laws against that. I don't mean homes where the couple was married or together for a long time and then broke up. I mean children whose parents were never in a serious relationship or even dating each other! If the mom says "My life is fine with three kids from three random men" then her kids might follow her example. If she says "getting pregnant from random men was the worst mistake of my life" the kids will feel that the mom wishes they had never been born. You see the problem!

If you're immature and not ready for commitment, don't have kids and don't get married. Period. The divorce rate has nothing to do with the institution of marriage. It has to do with the views of Western culture about relationships.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 1, 2005
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.