Turn on thread page Beta

Choosing an RAF trade, help please. watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, just looking for a little useful advice if possible.

The other day I sat the RAF AST, with the hope of scoring well enough for WSOP, unfortunately I just missed out by a few marks in one section, I am so disappointed, very disappointed, I have always wanted to join a service and for some time now I have wanted to fly.

Unfortunately I am unable to re-sit the AST in 6 months time because this is the second one I have taken as I am currently a serving reservist and had to take AST1 in order to join, in hind sight if I had known this would prevent me having 2 attempts at the AST in the future, I may well not have joined the reserves firstly.

Anyway, I can't change that now, I need to look for my next best option, I still want to join, I have scored for all other trades including some commissioned ones, bar some of the eng/techie ones.

Are there any trade recommendations, I would like to look at applying from within the ranks to NCA once I am in a ground trade, but is this hard to do.... ? if it is achievable what is a good trade to take me forward to aircrew, maybe medic? the last trade I would go for would be a indoors/computer screen based one, I would rather be a MTD!

Any advice would gratefully be received, my only other options are army/navy but I understand the aptitude tests are the same for a flying role, so there is not much hope with that route?

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I can't answer all of your questions but it got me thinking. A while back I was looking at the medic role and in the RAF (I believe) you have to be trained in medicine already. However to be a medic/nursing role in Navy I believe you can start from scratch and they train you... But you will have to check that on the websites. Have you been to uni etc?

ReputationRep:
    Ah right, as far as I am aware, to be a medic in the RAF you just need the set educational requirements.... some GCSE's I think, then to score high enough on the AST... no other formal qualifications are required.

ReputationRep:
    Forgot to say, I have 11 GCSE's all C and above, some AS levels and BTEC national diploma, triple distinction, which with 18 units gives me 300 odd UCAS points. The Sergeant at the AFCO said that equates to the qualifications needed for the commissioned trades I have scored for, but I don't really want to be an officer.

ReputationRep:
    You can't join a trade and then transfer over to another trade, I'm afraid it doesn't work like that. You would have to do that trade for a good few years before you could rejoin in a different trade.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I stand corrected. What did you do your AS's in and your BTEC Diploma?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies, AS's were in geography and business studies. And diploma in Uniformed Public Services.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    As said, don't enter one job as a view to another. You need to leap into one assuming you'll be in it forever. The chance to move will be there, but not guaranteed, and you can't count on it; so don't discount it, but don't plan on it either!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    As said, don't enter one job as a view to another. You need to leap into one assuming you'll be in it forever. The chance to move will be there, but not guaranteed, and you can't count on it; so don't discount it, but don't plan on it either!
    Bingo! Once again sound advice from the Wzz!

ReputationRep:
    Ok thank you, so can anyone guide me as to what would be my best options to be able to fly... any service, or at least to get hands on with the air craft... not as a mechanic or technician though.

On the other hand, what do people think of the RAF Police, general thoughts? Thanks for your help.

ReputationRep:
    You can always try Navy if you absolutely want to be on an aircraft.

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.