Turn on thread page Beta

Got a "cool" job now everyone's changing watch

Announcements

Right this is probably going to sound a little bit odd. Basically i've just finished my degree and to be honest i've landed a pretty sweet job. I can't say what it is because it'll give me away, but basically to get an idea i'll be working with some quite famous people.

Ive never been particularly popular, though thats quite a bit my own choice - I like having couple of close friends rather than a friendship group. I also like having lots of time just chilling out on my own. But i've found out that one of my so called "friends" has been making nasty comments about me. Saying what a loner I am, and how unpopular I am - he said he felt sorry for me which is why he talks to me.

I've tried not taking it to heart. I know he reeeaally wanted a job like I have, and my other friends have assured me its the jealousy talking. I still feel hurt though, as I was bullied in school for precisely this reason. Someone taking a dislike to me and gradually turning everyone against me.

On the complete opposite, I also have people who never talked to me coming up to me to say hi, and doing me favors. I'm not stupid, and I know they only want to be associated with me because i am now "cool". I hate the attention and find it sickening in a way, how shallow some people are. But I can feel i'm getting sucked in, it does feel good that people want to know me, but then again I know its for all the wrong reasons.

so yeah, how do I deal with all of this, i'm not used to being the centre of attention! And do I confront my friend? He's hardly talked to me in the last month, and uni finishes soon so it feels a bit pointless, but then i'm also gutted i've lost someone I really thought I got on with

ReputationRep:
    tell us the job

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    On the complete opposite, I also have people who never talked to me coming up to me to say hi, and doing me favors. I'm not stupid, and I know they only want to be associated with me because i am now "cool".
    Have proof of this? how do you know they arent being kind? i do that to people, people do it to me, doesnt mean they want something.

ReputationRep:
    David Cameron? Is that you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheLeprachaun)
    WIN! +rep

ReputationRep:
    tell us the job

ReputationRep:
    You make sure you don't forget the people who were actually there for you, before you got the job (and who didnt say nasty things), while you make new friends.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't sound like he's worth it to be honest. Thankfully you're not in school anymore, so you won't have to worry about your real friends 'turning against you'.

I guess people will work out they're not going to get anything out of you and things will go back to normal.

ReputationRep:
    LMAO :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    hahahahahah

:laugh: :laugh: that has made my day! Reading back through it fits so well!

Thanks for the advice everyone

ReputationRep:
    Forget about your 'friend' and get on with your life.

ReputationRep:
    David Cameron is tha...

Damn...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Right this is probably going to sound a little bit odd. Basically i've just finished my degree and to be honest i've landed a pretty sweet job. I can't say what it is because it'll give me away, but basically to get an idea i'll be working with some quite famous people.

Ive never been particularly popular, though thats quite a bit my own choice - I like having couple of close friends rather than a friendship group. I also like having lots of time just chilling out on my own. But i've found out that one of my so called "friends" has been making nasty comments about me. Saying what a loner I am, and how unpopular I am - he said he felt sorry for me which is why he talks to me.

I've tried not taking it to heart. I know he reeeaally wanted a job like I have, and my other friends have assured me its the jealousy talking. I still feel hurt though, as I was bullied in school for precisely this reason. Someone taking a dislike to me and gradually turning everyone against me.

On the complete opposite, I also have people who never talked to me coming up to me to say hi, and doing me favors. I'm not stupid, and I know they only want to be associated with me because i am now "cool". I hate the attention and find it sickening in a way, how shallow some people are. But I can feel i'm getting sucked in, it does feel good that people want to know me, but then again I know its for all the wrong reasons.

so yeah, how do I deal with all of this, i'm not used to being the centre of attention! And do I confront my friend? He's hardly talked to me in the last month, and uni finishes soon so it feels a bit pointless, but then i'm also gutted i've lost someone I really thought I got on with
    You live and learn, you get better at knowing which people are your friends for YOU, and which people are (or not) your friends for something else.

ReputationRep:
    LMAO XD

ReputationRep:
    Be nice to people on your way up, because you'll damn straight see them on your way down, my friend.

ReputationRep:

the coolest reply ever on TSR
    u deserve a medal for sho, that has made my day

ReputationRep:
    Haha, definitely +rep for that one! Really made me chuckle.

Back on topic. It seems you have it good OP, whats the problem? I mean, the friend can go suck if he just disregarded your friendship simply because he was jealous, he obviously wasn't friend material. If I was jealous of a friend I would do what I've done before and just look them in the eye and say "Mate, I am jealous! You have it good". You don't need to be a little schoolgirl about it.

I am intrigued by this job. The attention would be appealing in my opinion, but I would keep any leachers or backstabbers at a good distance. You can sense a hardcore "groupie" as soon as they start talking! You know what I mean.

ReputationRep:
    Ohmygod, I love you :')

And OP firstly don't let that pillock whoever he is let you down! You know its jealousy, and you shouldn't let him calling you a loner bother you at all as you're now the opposite to that I guess. :p: I know it's horrible when a 'friend' behaves like that, but you've just got to try and get over it. You're going to make some great friends now, and in a short while you'll see who inconsequential that little ant was in your life. (:
    And secondly, yes, some people will be all brown-nosey now that you're 'cool' but as long as you remember who you are and you're genuine friends are, I guess you can use it to your advantage. :sly:
    Enjoy this new job and focus on the positives!

Now, tell us the job :cookie:

ReputationRep:
    Nicely done.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.