Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi!
    I really really really want to get into dentistry. It really means a lot to me and i really do want to try my best to get it.
    I live in scotland, im doing 5 highers (maths, chemistry, physics, biology and modern studies) Im predicted to get 5 As (please god!! i really need those As) Next year, Ill be doing Higher english, advanced chemistry, biology and maths ( i know its A LOT but i really do want this course) Im going to do 2 weeks work experience (everything from local to private, ortho, etc) Ive done volunteering work in Childrens first (charity shop) for a month. Im about to do about another month, (by month meaning, once a week so basically four times), im going to do whole 5 days at an eldery home and going to volunteer in a library for 2 whole weeks. Im doing everything i can in 6th year (eg peer support, buddying, lunch time duty.., etc) both of my two elder sisters are dentists and they are the onse who encouraged me soo much to do it.
    i personally think everything im doing is quite well however i do feel that i need to do more volunteering so any suggestions???

However, i know 2 people who did what im about to do but they got rejected. Ive been hearing so many people are getting rejected and that it is SOOOOOOO competitive now and it shows because im already competing with 2 people in my year! a person i know is basically a package to them. EVEn a professor at uni told my sister he should get in no doubt however he didnt.....
    The thing is i feel that they are looking for something so specific that not everyone is delivering, evem my sisters arent sure what it is...
    and io really do want to get it. Ive been praying for agessssss to get in this course but im soo worried.
    im just wondering does anyone have a clue of what they are really looking for now
    so sorry about the longgg message hahah
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    You'll be fine. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unicef)
    You'll be fine. Good luck.
    aw thanks

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking at this as well. Your work experience is very good!

I've been told that UKCAT is one of the most foremost things. If you get over 650 or even over 700; your university interviewers will be very impressed. There is also a 'cut-off' point at like 600-and something odd UKCAT points so you should buy a manual. UKCAT is vital.

Manual Dexterity is additionally, a thing which is greatly looked for.
    This means skilled with the hands.
    For this, people may play an instrument, sew or other related things.

You would have the right grades, and I've heard many people with very good grades who didn't get in. So I can see where we agree on the 'extra' details here.

Good luck to you!

Luke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sugardust17)
    hi!
    I really really really want to get into dentistry. It really means a lot to me and i really do want to try my best to get it.
    I live in scotland, im doing 5 highers (maths, chemistry, physics, biology and modern studies) Im predicted to get 5 As (please god!! i really need those As) Next year, Ill be doing Higher english, advanced chemistry, biology and maths ( i know its A LOT but i really do want this course) Im going to do 2 weeks work experience (everything from local to private, ortho, etc) Ive done volunteering work in Childrens first (charity shop) for a month. Im about to do about another month, (by month meaning, once a week so basically four times), im going to do whole 5 days at an eldery home and going to volunteer in a library for 2 whole weeks. Im doing everything i can in 6th year (eg peer support, buddying, lunch time duty.., etc) both of my two elder sisters are dentists and they are the onse who encouraged me soo much to do it.
    i personally think everything im doing is quite well however i do feel that i need to do more volunteering so any suggestions???

However, i know 2 people who did what im about to do but they got rejected. Ive been hearing so many people are getting rejected and that it is SOOOOOOO competitive now and it shows because im already competing with 2 people in my year! a person i know is basically a package to them. EVEn a professor at uni told my sister he should get in no doubt however he didnt.....
    The thing is i feel that they are looking for something so specific that not everyone is delivering, evem my sisters arent sure what it is...
    and io really do want to get it. Ive been praying for agessssss to get in this course but im soo worried.
    im just wondering does anyone have a clue of what they are really looking for now
    so sorry about the longgg message hahah
    thanks
    I think its your personal statement that counts. I didn't get a high UK cat 620 - and still got all Unis. This thread helps because if you do get a low uk cat then don't apply for the unis that put emphasis on it like Sheffield and Barts. Cardiff and Kings have been fine with low uk cats and Bristol and Leeds dont care.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aeneas745)
    I think its your personal statement that counts. I didn't get a high UK cat 620 - and still got all Unis. This thread helps because if you do get a low uk cat then don't apply for the unis that put emphasis on it like Sheffield and Barts. Cardiff and Kings have been fine with low uk cats and Bristol and Leeds dont care.
    this is very correct, but just to add the unis that dont look at it as heavily often look very heavily at GCSE grades e.g. kings, most succesfull applicants have atleast 6/7 a*s!

ReputationRep:
    In my experience manual dexterity, PS and the interview are the key aspects to get an offer. I have got an offer from glasgow uni so if u need any help PM me.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=sugardust17]
    that it is SOOOOOOO competitive now and it shows because im already competing with 2 people in my year!

you think dentistry competition is tough in your year. try medicine where im competiting with more than 10 people.

anyways, i can really see your passion about this course and i hope hope you get to do it. more volunteeing wouldn't do any harm but make sure you can also devote more time on your studies.
    dude- you've done everything else i wanted to suggest, but really just try and excel in your studies as competition will get even more fierce since the tories are making hude cuts(i think)

also having good GCSE grades is beneficial since they also look at that to separate two very similar candidates

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drummermean)
    I'm looking at this as well. Your work experience is very good!

I've been told that UKCAT is one of the most foremost things. If you get over 650 or even over 700; your university interviewers will be very impressed. There is also a 'cut-off' point at like 600-and something odd UKCAT points so you should buy a manual. UKCAT is vital.

Manual Dexterity is additionally, a thing which is greatly looked for.
    This means skilled with the hands.
    For this, people may play an instrument, sew or other related things.

You would have the right grades, and I've heard many people with very good grades who didn't get in. So I can see where we agree on the 'extra' details here.

Good luck to you!

Luke.
    well i did art at standard grade and got a 1 and i do collage in my spare time (hardly have any spare time now lol) im also wanting to learn how to sew so that should be okay??
    tbh, i think that most people that are applying do have the grades, personality, experience but like you said its the extra details that decide whether or not a person gets in. but im just wondering what other extra details are there to do??

And about the UKcat test, is it something that u would look over ( i mean like are there certain stuff to look at) or is it a general test like an IQ test??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aeneas745)
    Can i ask, im really wanting to move down to either manchester or london. what are their views about the UKcat test and how well a person answers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sharoon123)
    In my experience manual dexterity, PS and the interview are the key aspects to get an offer. I have got an offer from glasgow uni so if u need any help PM me.
    luckyy luckyy
    so are u off to do dentistry then if u get the grades they want?
    and thank you soo much for ur help
    ps ill be PMing u 24/7 now abut this subject hahahah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J_P)
    this is very correct, but just to add the unis that dont look at it as heavily often look very heavily at GCSE grades e.g. kings, most succesfull applicants have atleast 6/7 a*s!
    yea like i said since i live in scotland so we do standard grades not GCSEs (they are both similar though) and i did get eight 1s ( one being the highest award) for all my subjects including english, maths, chemistry, biology, art, computing studies, modern studies, spanish

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sugardust17)
    Can i ask, im really wanting to move down to either manchester or london. what are their views about the UKcat test and how well a person answers?
    Well a couple of my friends got into Manchester and Kings with UK cats of 600 - in fact the Kings chap had an uk cat below 600.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I'd say good grades are a given. There are plenty of people out there getting straight As.
    Good PS, work exp and possibly manual dexterity would be required to get an interview. This is where I imagine it gets tricky!

ReputationRep:
    Theyre looking for people who have done their research into dentistry. They want to see if you know what you're getting yourself into. Absorb yourself into the politics, latest techniques etc!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 16, 2010

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.