This will sound stupid...but... Watch

The1truebelieber
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Does a JD or an LLM help in becoming a QC or Judge?
VarietyHorne
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by HDS)
Qualifications dont make a difference to this. you have to have proven yourself as a highly competent lawyer for a minimum of 15/20 years the only way it would help is actualy getting you a tc/pupillage in the firstplace and this would only be if the undergrad, ecs, work expereince and interview performance are up to scratch.
jjarvis
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by HDS)
A JD is a first degree in law in the United States, not a doctorate. Unless you wish to practise law in the US, it would be a colossal waste of money. I would expect having a JD to be entirely irrelevant. By the time you might be becoming a QC, you would probably have at least fifteen years' call, and for a judge substantially more than that. I don't think your LLM would matter by that time either. There is some scepticism about whether an LLM even helps you get a pupillage or tenancy; I think its importance would decrease after that. You are more likely to be judged on what you do in practise, than what you did in university twenty or thirty years earlier.
The1truebelieber
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by jjarvis)
A JD is a first degree in law in the United States, not a doctorate. Unless you wish to practise law in the US, it would be a colossal waste of money. I would expect having a JD to be entirely irrelevant. By the time you might be becoming a QC, you would probably have at least fifteen years' call, and for a judge substantially more than that. I don't think your LLM would matter by that time either. There is some scepticism about whether an LLM even helps you get a pupillage or tenancy; I think its importance would decrease after that. You are more likely to be judged on what you do in practise, than what you did in university twenty or thirty years earlier.

Naw, I plan on staying in the uk:yep:

Also - many thanks and oooooooo! see you next year!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (105)
19.52%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (221)
41.08%
Nope, not that interesting (212)
39.41%

Watched Threads