Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey friends, I need some current advice on Edinburgh's postgraduate accommodation options. There's a wonderful in-depth thread on undergraduate accommodation started by nearlyheadlessian, and a thread from last year on postgrad accommodation that pretty much only deals with Mylne's Court and Richmond Place.

I get the idea that for postgraduates, Mylne's Court and Richmond Place are the top two choices, but I can't find anything about the other postgrad options, such as Morgan Court, Blackwood Crescent, and South Bridge. Does anyone know anything about all the best postgrad accommodation spots? What about a private flat? Is there any advantage to getting a private flat on your own versus University accommodation?

I'm doing a 1-year MSc in English Language (i.e. linguistics) and coming from the US, so I'm really looking forward to experiencing Edinburgh as much as possible, while still being able to get enough quiet for reading and sleeping when it's needed

Thanks for any advice you can give!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi

If you are still looking for accommodation, how about iQ? iQ has a number of self-contained studio apartments available to let for the next academic year - all our accommodation is brand new, rents are fully inclusive and Edinburgh Uni (George Square campus) is just a short walk away.

We've got quite a few postgrad students moving in come September, and even have a dedicated postgrad lounge for you all to use when you aren't studying!

Have a wee look at http://www.iq-student-accommodation....tion/edinburgh

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I have the same problem, and I'm not sure about what to do. The accomodation services send me an e-mail telling me that I am on the waiting list...
    Anyway, what is your course? Mine is MSc in The City.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by odnanref)
    Hi! I have the same problem, and I'm not sure about what to do. The accomodation services send me an e-mail telling me that I am on the waiting list...
    Anyway, what is your course? Mine is MSc in The City.
    I'm going to check out private accommodation, I've heard from a number of people that it's a better deal. The best places to look seem to be EUSA and Gumtree.

I'm doing the MSc in English Language. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    don't forget to check the EUSA forum while you're on the EUSA website too.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm going to start an MSc in Edinburgh in September this year and am a bit worried about accomodation. I applied for university accomodation, but was told I'm on a waiting list. Does anyone know how long they usually take to offer accomodation to us europeans?

I'm not sure how to start going about finding private accomodation. All the places I've seen recommend viewing before renting a place, but I won't arrive in Edinburgh until the 11th September.

Does anyone have any advice? Perhaps it is better to wait patiently for the university? They updated their website saying that this year they'll be able to offer much more accomodation.

As far as I know, my MSc will be based in the Little France campus. Anyone else going to be studying there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crisara)
    Does anyone have any advice? Perhaps it is better to wait patiently for the university? They updated their website saying that this year they'll be able to offer much more accomodation.
    Yes, they've made at least two places normally available to first year undergraduates into postgraduate accommodation for the next year meaning there will be a couple of hundred extra rooms available, but obviously, whether you'll be allocated one or not is another matter.

However, you may find that going privately is better (and cheaper) for you in the long run. If you're willing to stay in a hostel etc for the first week or so of being in Edinburgh you'd quite easily be able to find a spare room somewhere and be able to move in pretty much immediately. Look at the accommodation thread first two posts for more information on renting privately in Edinburgh.

The university accommodation is very expensive and they're bad landlords. They know that people are moving from outside of Edinburgh and need somewhere to live and take advantage of it - trying to get anything repaired is a big problem. Its good for 18 year olds living away from home for the first time but as a postgraduate I can't really envisage it being much fun as you'll have been living/renting your own place for awhile now. Although they provide everything you need, the bedrooms are rather small and only have single beds, plus the kitchen as a social area but there isn't a separate lounge area with sofas etc. I'm a postgraduate student and I certainly wouldn't want to live in the university accommodation unless I really had to - I'd much rather have my own place which saves me money as well, and I get something nicer for it. Edinburgh flats are really pretty and its just so much more convenient to live in a private flat than suddenly have some of your "adulthood" taken away from you

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I'm starting the MSc in Financial Maths in September, a course that is split between University of Edinburgh and Heriott Watt.

I have an offer for Warrender Park Crescent which I have 5 days left to consider, but I am thinking that it is quite expensive for what it is. I have a friend from home doing the same course, and we are both looking for accomodation, are we better off getting a 2 bed flat privately?

If so, what areas would suit that would be somewhat central between the two campuses?

I'll be on my bike the whole year, so trying to keep the distances down to less than 6/7km would be great.

Also, for anyone who has lived in Edinburgh before, what kind of costs are we looking at for Utilities bills? Appreciate the help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmet10)
    Hi all,

I'm starting the MSc in Financial Maths in September, a course that is split between University of Edinburgh and Heriott Watt.

I have an offer for Warrender Park Crescent which I have 5 days left to consider, but I am thinking that it is quite expensive for what it is. I have a friend from home doing the same course, and we are both looking for accomodation, are we better off getting a 2 bed flat privately?

If so, what areas would suit that would be somewhat central between the two campuses?

I'll be on my bike the whole year, so trying to keep the distances down to less than 6/7km would be great.

Also, for anyone who has lived in Edinburgh before, what kind of costs are we looking at for Utilities bills? Appreciate the help!
    A two bedroom flat is certainly doable, though I'm not sure how much WPC costs, so I don't know if prices would be comparable. Marchmont and Newington are two areas that would be between both campuses. The distance between KB and GS is only about 3.5km, I believe, so you shouldn't have any problems on that front.

Utility bills will vary based on whether you've a gas or electric stove, how your water is heated, and so on and so forth. I believe my flat (three people) currently pays about...£20 a month or so on electricity, and probably similar on water? I'm not sure about gas. For a two person flat, you could probably expect to pay between £30 and £50 in utilities, I should think, though possibly less.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainfaery)
    A two bedroom flat is certainly doable, though I'm not sure how much WPC costs, so I don't know if prices would be comparable. Marchmont and Newington are two areas that would be between both campuses. The distance between KB and GS is only about 3.5km, I believe, so you shouldn't have any problems on that front.
    Between Heriot Watt and Edinburgh Uni I would suggest being further West than Newington.

Assuming you want to stick to centralish studentish areas and not complete surburbia maybe Morningside or Bruntsfield or Polwarth.
    It depends how you plan on travelling around. I would look up the bus routes to Heriot Watt though and Kings Buildings if that is where maths is. (I'm not sure)

Edit: I can't read either- If you are thinking of cycling then I suggest Bruntsfield/Tollcross/Fountainbridge/Viewforth - i.e. very near the union canal - which is a nice cycle path that I believe leads you in the right direction for Heriot Watt and still central.

And having looked at the prices of Edinburgh uni accommodation I think renting privately is usually the cheaper option.

ReputationRep:
    Appreciate the help guys, but from a couple of hours browsing a few of the flat search sites, it seems that the Uni res may be better value than I originally thought!

Also, the fact that we don't know anyone else in the University means that by staying in the Accom provided, we'll at least have to meet 4/5 people.

Apologies for taking your time for a fruitless exercise!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmet10)
    Appreciate the help guys, but from a couple of hours browsing a few of the flat search sites, it seems that the Uni res may be better value than I originally thought!
    It's not that bad at all (factor in that you're paying a slight premium for just being able to turn and move in with very little hassle). Hope WPC is good to you.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm tempted to apply for a twin room since they're so much cheaper... anyone know if it's really that awful?

Poll
Do you have a role model?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.