Turn on thread page Beta

What don't young people go to the theatre?? watch

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering about that... apart from the obvious, which is the price, why do you think young people don't go to the theatre a lot, apart when going with school?

ReputationRep:
    The price is pretty much the only thing. And probably the fact that you can hardly nip down to your local theatre.

We definitely should go to the theatre more. Far better than cinema imo.

ReputationRep:
    Because of the price, obviously?

ReputationRep:
    Do you really think the price is the only thing? I mean, when you really look at it, it's not that expensive: you can even go see some productions for free when you're under 26! When I say to my mates that I can't go out with them because I'm going to the theatre, they look at me like I'm crazy...

ReputationRep:
    because it's crap

ReputationRep:
    its so much cheaper to go with schools, and you don't have to organise it yourself.
    Also theres the problem (if you live near london like me) of going to the west end at night without adults

ReputationRep:
    Well a lot of theatres, especially in London, offer cheap tickets for students so there's no excuse. I guess a lot of young people are either anti-intellectual or can't be bothered when they can watch something on the TV at home or play computer games. It's a shame because the theatre is the superior medium - you can never communicate art through a screen in quite the way you can face-to-face. It's the difference between looking at art on the internet and going to a gallery to see the real thing. I guess a lot of people either don't care or don't see the difference.

That said, things like Andrew Lloyd-Webber's musical x-factor things have got some interest going and people have always enjoyed going to see musicals. The National Theatre is also doing better than ever before. So I'd challenge your assumption that the vast majority of young people don't want to go.

ReputationRep:
    There's enough time to do old-people-stuff when you're old anyway...

ReputationRep:
    I think it's ok. I have been to various theatres numerous times; with the school of course . But, basically I don't love the theatre enough to waste 15 quid on.
    Also none of my friends or family feign interest.

ReputationRep:
    its not expensive, and its actually awesome.

ReputationRep:
    I think partly it's because there's a misconception about the kind of person who should be going to the theatre and related activites, it's bull, you get a wide variety, as you should

ReputationRep:
    because I don't have enough money.

ReputationRep:
    cuz it's boring :curious:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DougieG)
    Well a lot of theatres, especially in London, offer cheap tickets for students so there's no excuse. I guess a lot of young people are either anti-intellectual or can't be bothered when they can watch something on the TV at home or play computer games. It's a shame because the theatre is the superior medium - you can never communicate art through a screen in quite the way you can face-to-face. It's the difference between looking at art on the internet and going to a gallery to see the real thing. I guess a lot of people either don't care or don't see the difference.

That said, things like Andrew Lloyd-Webber's musical x-factor things have got some interest going and people have always enjoyed going to see musicals. The National Theatre is also doing better than ever before. So I'd challenge your assumption that the vast majority of young people don't want to go.
    And still, theatres are trying very hard to get more young people to come in and see plays. Last time I was in London, I went to the Donmar and it was full of old folks, although it was a Mark Haddon play, a writer young people enjoy.
    There is something that really strikes me: from my experience, musicals are so much expensive than most subsidised theatres, and yet, they are more popular among young people... I agree with you when you say price is an excuse not to go. What I'm interested in is understanding why they really don't go...

ReputationRep:
    Other than the fact its extortionately expensive?

Because its often extremely boring. I fell asleep during "the king and I" once.

ReputationRep:
    Price can't be the only thing. Recently, (although it wasn't advertised so I didn't go) at a local community/youth centre, there was a one-man show. Sounds lame but it was a version of The Odyssey which got really high reviews at the Edinburgh Fringe. It's been touring the country and suddenly I find out that it was done a short walk from my house for free. The point of that though was that you're right: loads of free theatre opportunities. I don't go often outside of school cause I live in the middle of nowhere but I can't wait to be living in central London this sept. It's gonna be awesome! So much theatre
    I think a lot of young people might see it as like...a chore. Interesting but like, studying. And you can see why-most kids only ever go with school so even if they enjoy it, it's still like work for them and they have to over-analyse it at school the next day probably. Plus I imagine films are a lot more accessible for a lot of young people. Obviously making generalisations here, I know loads of people who love the theatre.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know. It's so sad.
    I want to go to the theatre. But it seems so romantic and classy that I can't really can't see myself going there in the same way that I would go the cinema. Maybe on a classy girly night out or a date.

ReputationRep:
    Not everyone likes the "all singing all dancing" shows.

ReputationRep:
    It's really the cost - enormously expensive, and yes there are cheaper and even free productions but its not always easy to find out about these.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's expensive :dontknow:

I live near York and the Theatre Royal there does tickets for £5 for any performance for under 25s, so me and my friends go pretty often I think most people just never bother to try it - their parents never took them so it's never occurred to them to go. If I say that I'm going to the theatre a lot of people say it's 'posh' as well, so people are judgemental towards it. I think it's brilliant though, more young people should go

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 30, 2010
Poll
Do you have a role model?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.