?
Report 13 years ago
Is engineering a vocational subject?
black_mamba
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I would've thought that engineering wasn't vocational compared to something like a bricklaying course.
Comp_Genius
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
it is, and so is medicine, dentistry, vetmed...
black_mamba
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
By vocational don't you mean providing specific work-related skills, rather than general theoretical/analytical knowledge? So its a bit vague as to whats vocational and whats not, but traditionally hasn't it pointed towards courses such as; flowering arranging, carpentry and bricklaying? (as opposed to their bigger badder counterparts; horticulture, engineering and architecture? )
ChemistBoy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by darkenergy)
I'm not so sure that engineering is as "vocational" as the above.
Comp_Genius
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
what about civil engineering?
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yes, those degrees are vocational, but they're things you can't really 'learn on the job' the way you can with other things. If you're learning to be a bricklayer, for example, you can watch experienced workers without getting in their way and if you mess up a wall, it doesn't really matter. If you're hovering around a doctor or a dentist all day, you'll just be hindering them, and it will matter a hell of a lot if you try to treat a patient and screw up! That's not very clear, but all I was saying is that for vocations that require a lot of learning and a lot of skill, such as medicine, you need to go to university. I don't think anyone can really argue that you 'need' a Surf Studies degree for any job!
ChemistBoy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Possibly, but look at how many researching academics there are in the field of engineering...
Cazzi
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I just wish to object about Media and film are not mickey mouse subjects.

Many people i know were studying English and Media as two of their subjects. (in a level) And almost all said that media studies was just as hard as A level english. I dont understand how it can be called a mickey mouse subject when you have to write 3000 word essays on different types of media, having to remember many different terms and so on....how is that easy? Film studies is more or less the same, essays and scripts have to be written! They are both as equally as hard as other subjects. Even when i took photography i stuggled to keep remembering the differenet techniques etc used.

they are just as equal as any other 'academic' subject!

and now i will be taking documentary film and Tv in university...which is certanally not going to be easy!!!!
ChemistBoy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Cazzi_Bear)
In the eyes of whom?

and now i will be taking documentary film and Tv in university...which is certanally not going to be easy!!!!
But will it get you a job?
nas7232
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by kellywood_5)
Yes, those degrees are vocational, but they're things you can't really 'learn on the job' the way you can with other things. If you're learning to be a bricklayer, for example, you can watch experienced workers without getting in their way and if you mess up a wall, it doesn't really matter. If you're hovering around a doctor or a dentist all day, you'll just be hindering them, and it will matter a hell of a lot if you try to treat a patient and screw up! That's not very clear, but all I was saying is that for vocations that require a lot of learning and a lot of skill, such as medicine, you need to go to university. I don't think anyone can really argue that you 'need' a Surf Studies degree for any job!
Exactly my point too.

These new degrees are just an excuse to increase the number of students going into university to 50%. Well if people want to waste alot of money going to university when they could of did a few weeks trainning course then it's up to them.
nikk
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Cazzi_Bear)
I just wish to object about Media and film are not mickey mouse subjects.

Many people i know were studying English and Media as two of their subjects. (in a level) And almost all said that media studies was just as hard as A level english. I dont understand how it can be called a mickey mouse subject when you have to write 3000 word essays on different types of media, having to remember many different terms and so on....how is that easy? Film studies is more or less the same, essays and scripts have to be written! They are both as equally as hard as other subjects. Even when i took photography i stuggled to keep remembering the differenet techniques etc used.

With regard to Media Studies, I have heard many people say that it is a difficult subject that requires a lot of effort etc. On the other side of the coin, I have also seen many posts from people that did the Media Studies A-level and they said it was a waste of time and easier than General Studies.

I am not commenting either way, but you can see where the confusion comes from.
shady lane
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Have you seen these courses for the BA(Hons) at the Swansea Institute for Leisure, Tourism and Sport?

Film & TV & Leisure
Spa & Health Issues
Outdoor Adventure Management
Hospitality Studies
Cultural Tourism

Do you really need to go to uni for three years to learn this stuff?
nas7232
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
My cousin did a "mickey mouse" degree i think it was something about adventure/tourism. He said he only did it so he can get free flights abroad and have a laugh.
nikk
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I would not have a problem with some 'mickey mouse' courses if the students were made to pay the full costs of running the course. Then the government (and hence the taxpayer) would not be wasting money on educating people in useless subjects. I am referring to courses such as David Beckham Studies.
shady lane
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
You can also get an MA in "Glass" at the Swansea Institute. That's it...MA Glass.
Arminius
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i don't see how engineering could be regarded as "vocational". As far as i know a vocational course focuses on teaching you the practical skills, for example how to use a saw or make such an such a joint in carpentry, etc

In engineering you learn mostly theory, but back up this theory with practical experiment. Just like say, physics. Theres a little bit of things like surveying, but surely thats analogous with being taught how to use a calculator properly in maths.
ancientone
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
So, here we go again with people commenting about the status of subjects when their only knowledge is the title. Hardly an in depth analysis-I hope you don't expect to get a 2.1 or a first with such a superficial analysis of facts.
nikk
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ancientone)
So, here we go again with people commenting about the status of subjects when their only knowledge is the title. Hardly an in depth analysis-I hope you don't expect to get a 2.1 or a first with such a superficial analysis of facts.
I think I am pretty safe in saying that David Beckham studies is not a very well respected degree to have.
ancientone
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
My point is that I can't comment really on what is a mickey mouse degree because I don't know the content of the course, standards, employability, final destinations of graduates or any other indicators. Without that knowledge I'm not going to condemn a degree course, or fellow students on it, as mickey mouse. I don't have enough knowledge - all I have is a name. That's not enough to make a valid assesssment of a course.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (280)
27.56%
No (736)
72.44%

Watched Threads