Supermassive Black Hole/Schwartzchild Radius Watch

The Randy Panda
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I do not have a good understanding of black holes or any equations to do with them really, but I saw that an equation called the Schwartzchild Radius can be used to calculate the radius an object needs to be compressed to if it were to be made into a black hole. The equation was Rs=2GM/c^2 and I wondered whether one could use this equation along with the radius of the supermassive black hole at the center of our galaxy to approximate the mass of the object that created/was the predecessor to the black hole. As mentioned before I dont have a clue about black holes and this may be nonsense but I was just curious. Sorry this is so long, Thanks
Fungrus
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yes, but it will give you the mass of the SMBH now and not the mass of the thing that created it. The Schwartzchild radius tells you the event horizon of a black hole.
The Randy Panda
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Ah, ok thanks
BWalker
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

Did i hear Supermassive Black Hole?
Bslforever
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yeah, the SR tells you the distance an object travelling at the speed of light has to be from a black hole to escape it.
big-boss-91
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by BWalker)

Did i hear Supermassive Black Hole?
i was thinking about this song too!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (138)
46.15%
Pro-humanity (161)
53.85%