A guy tried to scam me on eBay...so I responded Watch

tkwan196
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Right so I was selling my iPod touch on eBay and a guy bought it. He then preceeded to ask me if there was anything wrong with it (yes after he bought it). I knew something was wrong but proceeded to ask him to pay by paypal. He then sent a fake email (trying to pretend it was from paypal) telling me to send the buyer the item (to NIGERIA!) before I can receive the money. Then I was sure it was a scam. I tried to be nice and asked him to cancel the transaction because I stated I do not post outside UK. But he then sent me a fake email from eBay saying that I was given an "Unpost Item Strike" and that my account was suspended. Now I was pissed, no, not because he was trying to scam me (he's just trying to make a living, I understand), but because the fake emails he sent were so grammatically incorrect, I felt like he was dissing me. So I responded to him:

Hi,

Thank you for providing me with such a joyful experience. At first I thought that eBay may not be safe because of the high skill of scammers pretending to be eBay or Paypal so sellers will be tricked into these scams very easily. But after this, I can safely use eBay from now on knowing that this is the best that you can do. At some level I feel offended that you can't even be bothered to use a program such as Microsoft Word to check your grammar once in a while.

I have to say I am very disappointed in the quality of your scams but on the other hand I actually feel sorry that you have not had much education in the English language, therefore, I want to help you. Attached is a grammatically correct version of the scam email you sent to me pretending to be eBay. I have highlighted the changes in red for you just incase you have trouble realising what I have changed. Even though the email may now look more convincing, I want to tell you that eBay does not have " Unpost Item Strikes " and furthermore (You see what I did there? I used the long word that you used trying to sound like someone from eBay which btw, you also spelt incorrectly) "unpost" is not even a word (Seriously how hard is it to use a dictionary?? at least find a word that exists such as " unsent " ). Anyways back to what I was saying, You should really study what I have edited in your email as I think you can learn a lot from it. And also change the notice to something different, I mean, at least to something that does exist.

Also, the first message you sent to me through eBay, you really made it much much (MUCH!) easier for me to identify you as a scam. Just a side note, no one buys an item AND THEN ask if it's in working condition. Seriously, you took half of the fun out of it from there. And the email that was sent to me from eBay "confirming that the buyer is genuine"...WTF?!?! As if they would send a personal message to me confirming that you are a genuine buyer. I mean if you were a power seller or a very regular buyer then ...maybe... but you're newly registered(!). Seriously dude, have you ever heard of the phrase "Think like the enemy"? I really think you should read up on that as it would help you in your future scams very much.

Regards

tkwan0115

p.s. I nearly forgot, I was always meaning to ask why are all of these scams from Nigeria? I know there are some from the Netherlands aswel but I've never come across them before... anyways, good luck in your future scams and I hope you manage to successfully scam someone properly then I might give you some respect.
spikeymike
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Cool story bro? :curious:
Genocidal
Badges: 16
Report 8 years ago
And what did you want to accomplish by sending that?
PrivatiseThis
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Good job bro
Marshmallowize
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Ahhhaaaaaa :L This is pure gold, really. I hope this guy attempts a reply back!
tkwan196
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
he was really pissing me off. plus i was bored...
Dez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by tkwan196)
he was really pissing me off. plus i was bored...
Next time, do a jigsaw puzzle or something. Why bother with something like this?
Wonder-Woman
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Looooooooool
Noodlzzz
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Power to the geeks. When in crisis, correct grammar
mrluvaluva
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
lol respect
SuperStarr1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Lmao!

419 ahaha.. The amount of times they want me to "claim gifts" :rolleyes:
asdalol
Report 8 years ago
pointless response. pointless op.
Sephiroth
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
So basically, you just told him how to successfully scam you when you post the item back on eBay? Great idea!
Super_Hans
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
cool
Jingers
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You do realise that your grammar was pretty terrible in that, right?
lareneg
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
There is a whole community online who reply to scam emails, and string scammers along. People make the scammers go to great lengths to see how far they can take it. They've made scammers fill in fake forms from Western Union, they've given incorrect money collection details so the scammers go to the WU office in Nigeria only to find they don't get the money etc. They've also made the scammers go on what they call Safaris - where they make the scammer travel great distances to 'meet' them and collect the money in person.

However, what they DO discourage is for people to correct scammers on their spelling, and grammar etc., as it helps them improve their emails. This makes it easier for them to scam people, because as you pointed out the poor spelling and grammar is a dead giveaway. So yeah, it's generally bad to criticise them on their spelling.

For more information on scambaiting, go to 419eater.com. I've had great fun doing it - I got a Pay as You Go SIM card, and gave the number of it to loads of scammers. I told them that before I sent them any money, I would require them to call the number and leave a message following a script I sent them so I could be sure it was really them and they weren't trying to scam me (I know it doesn't make sense, but they bought it!)

I used the name of "Mike Hock". Much hilarity ensued - I got two messages. I'm not entirely sure what the guy's saying in the first one, but the second one followed the script:

"Hello, this is (NAME) looking for Mike Hock. It's a bit small. Now, would the real (NAME) please stand up. I got pwned."

The recordings of the messages: http://drop.io/solaoni/

//EDIT: Many of the scams come from Nigeria due to the large amount of corruption in the system, and the lack or real law enforcement against it. I've seen more come from the Ivory Coast nowadays though.
0201Bean
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I love the good, old 'correct grammer and spelling' comeback.
RyanT
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Jingers)
You do realise that your grammar was pretty terrible in that, right?
My thoughts exactly.
meloncoly
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by tkwan196)
Right so I was selling my iPod touch on eBay and a guy bought it. He then preceeded to ask me if there was anything wrong with it (yes after he bought it). I knew something was wrong but proceeded to ask him to pay by paypal. He then sent a fake email (trying to pretend it was from paypal) telling me to send the buyer the item (to NIGERIA!) before I can receive the money. Then I was sure it was a scam. I tried to be nice and asked him to cancel the transaction because I stated I do not post outside UK. But he then sent me a fake email from eBay saying that I was given an "Unpost Item Strike" and that my account was suspended. Now I was pissed, no, not because he was trying to scam me (he's just trying to make a living, I understand), but because the fake emails he sent were so grammatically incorrect, I felt like he was dissing me. So I responded to him:

Hi,

Thank you for providing me with such a joyful experience. At first I thought that eBay may not be safe because of the high skill of scammers pretending to be eBay or Paypal so sellers will be tricked into these scams very easily. But after this, I can safely use eBay from now on knowing that this is the best that you can do. At some level I feel offended that you can't even be bothered to use a program such as Microsoft Word to check your grammar once in a while.

I have to say I am very disappointed in the quality of your scams but on the other hand I actually feel sorry that you have not had much education in the English language, therefore, I want to help you. Attached is a grammatically correct version of the scam email you sent to me pretending to be eBay. I have highlighted the changes in red for you just incase you have trouble realising what I have changed. Even though the email may now look more convincing, I want to tell you that eBay does not have " Unpost Item Strikes " and furthermore (You see what I did there? I used the long word that you used trying to sound like someone from eBay which btw, you also spelt incorrectly) "unpost" is not even a word (Seriously how hard is it to use a dictionary?? at least find a word that exists such as " unsent " ). Anyways back to what I was saying, You should really study what I have edited in your email as I think you can learn a lot from it. And also change the notice to something different, I mean, at least to something that does exist.

Also, the first message you sent to me through eBay, you really made it much much (MUCH!) easier for me to identify you as a scam. Just a side note, no one buys an item AND THEN ask if it's in working condition. Seriously, you took half of the fun out of it from there. And the email that was sent to me from eBay "confirming that the buyer is genuine"...WTF?!?! As if they would send a personal message to me confirming that you are a genuine buyer. I mean if you were a power seller or a very regular buyer then ...maybe... but you're newly registered(!). Seriously dude, have you ever heard of the phrase "Think like the enemy"? I really think you should read up on that as it would help you in your future scams very much.

Regards

tkwan0115

p.s. I nearly forgot, I was always meaning to ask why are all of these scams from Nigeria? I know there are some from the Netherlands aswel but I've never come across them before... anyways, good luck in your future scams and I hope you manage to successfully scam someone properly then I might give you some respect.
You're irresponsible for educating the scammer so he's better prepared for future potential victims, those obvious mistakes will be warning signs to others - there are countless cases of this type of thing happening and a lot of it is from West Africa.

If you want to get involved in wasting their time check out 419eater.com which mainly focuses on baiting the "i've got millions of dollars to send you if you just pay the delivery/insurance/certificate fee"

http://www.419eater.com/html/RoadToChadDarfur/ <--this is how you mess with them
atheistwithfaith
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
*pats your back* - that's what you wanted right?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (844)
80.61%
Leave (203)
19.39%

Watched Threads