Freedom of Scotland Travelpass is it worth getting it? Watch

drbluebox
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Works out about £80 with my railcard for a years entitlement unless I am reading it wrong.

I plan to move back to Scotland for a year and then restart uni so for the next month plan to do about 2-4 trips between Carlisle and Ayr which normally on a SPT train is about £15 single or on a Virgin Trains between £5-£15 single but takes half the time(and I think the travelpass works on it)

Also plan to do about 8 journeys between Carisle and Dumfries over the next month so will cost about £3.35 a journey.

Once I am in Ayr I plan to visit Glasgow a few times which costs about £5 return.

So it may work out cheap to do it this way?
nearlyheadlessian
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by drbluebox)
Works out about £80 with my railcard for a years entitlement unless I am reading it wrong.
I think you must have misunderstood what the freedom of scotland pass offers - there are only two types available; either 4 days travel spread over 8 days, or 8 days spread over 15 days. £80 for unlimited travel through Scotland seems a bit unlikely, which should have been a giveaway. Take a look at Scotrail's site for more information: http://www.scotrail.co.uk/content/fe...ravelpass.html
drbluebox
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by nearlyheadlessian)
I think you must have misunderstood what the freedom of scotland pass offers - there are only two types available; either 4 days travel spread over 8 days, or 8 days spread over 15 days. £80 for unlimited travel through Scotland seems a bit unlikely, which should have been a giveaway. Take a look at Scotrail's site for more information: http://www.scotrail.co.uk/content/fe...ravelpass.html
The only thing that confuses me over that is the 4 days over 8 days thing, as in does that mean 4 days in a row than 4 days I cant use it or 1 day then not at all.

It seems to apply to all the services I want i.e Carlisle to Glasgow, Glasgow to Ayr since I am using Scotrail and Virgin Trains.

The only thing as I say I am confused about is the start of the 4 out of 8 days thing, as does it mean I have to use set days as in ie s it set over the yaer exact dates or if I dont use it for a while does those 4 days start from when I use it next.
nearlyheadlessian
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by drbluebox)
The only thing that confuses me over that is the 4 days over 8 days thing, as in does that mean 4 days in a row than 4 days I cant use it or 1 day then not at all.
Basically it means that if you buy the ticket to commence tomorrow, Monday 24th, then the ticket will be valid from the beginning of 24/5 till the end of 31/5. Within that time period you can use the ticket to travel on 4 different days. So you could travel on Monday, Thursday, Saturday and Monday. But if you travelled on more days than that then the ticket would no longer be valid. You HAVE to use it over consecutive days (hence the use of the word "consecutive" on the Scotrail site). So yes, it does seem to fit your need in terms of the travel you're going to do, but judging by your op you're going to do this over a period of at least a month, if not more so a week (or fortnight) isn't sufficient. Like I said, £80 for unlimited travel in Scotland for a year sounds too good to be true because it is!
hermaphrodite
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Above poster,

to cut a long story short if you wanted to travel 4 consecutive days in Scotland it would cost £80.00; which works out at £20.00 per day on average.

It's valid on any train operator, within scotland.

Can you use a YPR in conjunction (thus getting a third off the £80.00) or not?
nearlyheadlessian
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by hermaphrodite)
Above poster,

to cut a long story short if you wanted to travel 4 consecutive days in Scotland it would cost £80.00; which works out at £20.00 per day on average.
Well yeah, I can divide by four too. But the important point is travel does not have to occur on 4 consecutive days. You can travel on 4 different days in a period of 8 consecutive days, or 8 days out of 15.

(Original post by hermaphrodite)
It's valid on any train operator, within scotland.

Can you use a YPR in conjunction (thus getting a third off the £80.00) or not?
The fact that it's valid on services with any operator in Scotland was never in doubt - in fact you can use it on all scheduled CalMac services and on a bunch of coaches and buses. The important issue is that the OP appeared to believe they could use the pass to travel at any point in a month or year, which is not the case.

The full price of the 4 in 8 days ticket is £114 and with a railcard it is £75.25.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1619)
79.13%
Leave (427)
20.87%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed