The underground- I have NO idea... Watch

Billy's Willy
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Well, soft of.

A few of us are going to London next Tuesday- None of us really know London.

When I've been before I'm given my ticket by my parents and they tell me the lines that we're going on- they effectively hold my hand :cool:

We'll be getting into Euston around 10-ish and won't be on the tube till after 6.

We're only after zone 1. Is there a ticket you can but for unlimited travel in this zone for a set time period on a day???
Magnum Opus
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
you can buy a travelcard but it will be valid for the entire day, no specific timing, but tbh it will be better for you all to get an oyster card each (sometimes there are vending machines for them, but you might have to ask for one at the ticket office). The oyster card will cap at around £5 per day, so that's the maximum you will ever spend with it per day. Are you planning on using the tube much?
Billy's Willy
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by Magnum Opus)
you can buy a travelcard but it will be valid for the entire day, no specific timing, but tbh it will be better for you all to get an oyster card each (sometimes there are vending machines for them, but you might have to ask for one at the ticket office). The oyster card will cap at around £5 per day, so that's the maximum you will ever spend with it per day. Are you planning on using the tube much?

When you say 'Are you planning on using the tube much?':

-Do you mean in the future?- It depends, an Oyster card of course will always useful. But... Meh... I don't know the next time I'll be going to London. For the other guys then maybe...

-I think on the day we'll be using it quite a lot. We don't want to stuck somewhere with the card being invalid. As that would not be good at all :eek:
Magnum Opus
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Billy's Willy)
When you say 'Are you planning on using the tube much?':

-Do you mean in the future?- It depends, an Oyster card of course will always useful. But... Meh... I don't know the next time I'll be going to London. For the other guys then maybe...

-I think on the day we'll be using it quite a lot. We don't want to stuck somewhere with the card being invalid. As that would not be good at all :eek:
I meant on the day, but yeah the oyster card will be something you can use when you visit in the future too :yes:
StudentLingerie
Report 8 years ago
Get yourself an oyster card, you can use it on the buses as well. if ya put like £5 on it you'll be fine, and its easy. Look at the map, find where you are currently, then work out if you need to go north, east, south or west and get onto a platform in that direction (signs are same colour as on the map as well).
thefish_uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by StudentLingerie)
Get yourself an oyster card, you can use it on the buses as well. if ya put like £5 on it you'll be fine, and its easy. Look at the map, find where you are currently, then work out if you need to go north, east, south or west and get onto a platform in that direction (signs are same colour as on the map as well).
And don't make the mistake one of the times I went to London, which was to assume the tube map bears much resemblance to actual geography...

BTW, if you're only going for one day you can sometimes buy the travelcard as part of the rail ticket - e.g. when I went the other week I got a single ticket that said "From: Cambridge, To: Zones 1-5 return" or similar and covered my outward journey, everything around London and my return. I seem to remember considering buying a normal rail ticket and a Z1-2 travelcard by cash, and realising that the combined option would be significantly cheaper. Also I think that if you get one of these "travelcard" ones any railcard discount you get will also apply.

A look at the TFL website (here?) suggests there is no discount for buying a day travelcard in cash compared to with Oyster... BUT if you are making less than 4 journeys on Oyster it will be cheaper than buying a travelcard as three Oyster singles cost less than a travelcard. (Remember a journey counts as the time between you going into the underground and coming out of it, so even if you switch between lines on the way it still counts as one journey).

Disclaimer: I do not live in London, and I don't go there much either, I am just someone who when I do go likes to work out the best option for my specific situation at the time...
MDEH8176
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Billy's Willy)
Well, soft of.

A few of us are going to London next Tuesday- None of us really know London.

When I've been before I'm given my ticket by my parents and they tell me the lines that we're going on- they effectively hold my hand :cool:
I was a bit worried about traveling on the tube lines for the first time too. When you see the map it looks pretty overwhelming at first, but seriously it's so easy to use! Once you've done a few journeys you'll be a pro.

I had never used the tube before until I went to look around King's. Me and my Mum (who is hopeless with maps/directions etc) used an unlimited daily travel card for traveling as far out as Hampstead (zone 4). Considering how terrible we both are at this sort of thing everything went smoothly. Well, apart from the rush hour when my Mum freaked out about claustrophobic it was. Avoid early mornings and 5pm-7pm if you can.

Also, if you're only planning on using the tube in zone 1 is it really necessary? I've found that I can easily walk around most of central London just as quickly sometimes. You just need a decent plan of action before you leave to get all of the sites in.
Jay™
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The Tube Map app on my blackberry is very useful, thats if you have a blackberry i guess, an app is probably obtainable for the iPhone aswell, if you have neither well, grab yourself a good old map
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (140)
46.51%
Pro-humanity (161)
53.49%

Watched Threads