Does anyone have seriously unreliable friends? Watch

Pinkaddiction23
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I do! And it's so flaming annoying. It's gotten to the point where I won't bother making plans with them because I know their that unreliable, the chances of them being followed through are very slim. Pisses me right off to be honest!

One of my mate has made plans with me, and 3 times in a row cancelled, for reasons which just aren't valid.

And yesterday, a few weeks ago, my Friend agreed to come see a movie with me at midnight when it came out, so I thought yeah, great. Tickets were coming on sale last night at midnight. My mate knew I was wanting to book tickets as soon as they were available.

So.....

AFTERNOON TIME
"I ask her yesterday? You defo on for that movie? I'm booking tickets tonight."
"Dunno, i'll let you know later"
"Ok"

9PM.
"You made your mind up yet?"
"About what?"
"That film"
"Oh, no I haven't. I'll let you know before midnight though"
"Any particular reason you can't tell me now?"
"No, no reason at all"
"Ok"

So I text her at 11:30PM saying you know, it's almost midnight, what you going to do? NO REPLY.

I'm seriously irritated, if she wasn't planning on carrying plans through, she shouldn't of made them. More importantly, if there was no reason to wait to tell me, why didn't she just tell me then? Sounds a tad fishy to me. Finally, if she didn't wanna go, she could of just told me. Jeeeez - though I would of still argued, if you didn't want to go, you shouldn't have made plans. I'm convinced she was keeping me hanging on because she may have been waiting for a response from other people. Either way, i'm really irritated right now. I booked without her anyway :p: as I said I would.

Do you guys have any friends that really take the piss with cancelling all the time? How you's handle it?
Ludwig Wittgenstein
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
sounds like you don't really have friends to be honest :ninja:
zjs
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Just because people make a plan and originally feel they're going to carry it through doesn't mean they have some sort of moral obligation to do just that. Obviously, they should notify you if they can't make it, out of common courteousy. Beyond that though, if they feel the need to cancel plans, there isn't much that offends me about that. If the same person keeps cancelling on me for reasons unknown, or simply because they can't be arsed, I'd either rethink what I was proposing to do, or ask them if anything was up.
Pinkaddiction23
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ludwig Wittgenstein)
sounds like you don't really have friends to be honest :ninja:
Oh I know. Which is what irritates me, because they expect me to bend over backwards to help them. Maybe it's time I made some changes. Agreed? :confused:
fourdigit
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Pinkaddiction23)
I do! And it's so flaming annoying. It's gotten to the point where I won't bother making plans with them because I know their that unreliable, the chances of them being followed through are very slim. Pisses me right off to be honest!

One of my mate has made plans with me, and 3 times in a row cancelled, for reasons which just aren't valid.

And yesterday, a few weeks ago, my Friend agreed to come see a movie with me at midnight when it came out, so I thought yeah, great. Tickets were coming on sale last night at midnight. My mate knew I was wanting to book tickets as soon as they were available.

So.....

AFTERNOON TIME
"I ask her yesterday? You defo on for that movie? I'm booking tickets tonight."
"Dunno, i'll let you know later"
"Ok"

9PM.
"You made your mind up yet?"
"About what?"
"That film"
"Oh, no I haven't. I'll let you know before midnight though"
"Any particular reason you can't tell me now?"
"No, no reason at all"
"Ok"

So I text her at 11:30PM saying you know, it's almost midnight, what you going to do? NO REPLY.

I'm seriously irritated, if she wasn't planning on carrying plans through, she shouldn't of made them. More importantly, if there was no reason to wait to tell me, why didn't she just tell me then? Sounds a tad fishy to me. Finally, if she didn't wanna go, she could of just told me. Jeeeez - though I would of still argued, if you didn't want to go, you shouldn't have made plans. I'm convinced she was keeping me hanging on because she may have been waiting for a response from other people. Either way, i'm really irritated right now. I booked without her anyway :p: as I said I would.

Do you guys have any friends that really take the piss with cancelling all the time? How you's handle it?
Seriously unrealiable friends = means there are not your friends. You know when friends make an effort and don't make an effort or just can't be bothered letting you know straight whether they can go or not.

I organised a rugby session, all in the name of fun, about 10 people turned up, 5 couldn't make it but i felt the 3 guys were probably at the stage of SAD.
Ribbits
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Meeh.
Out of my group of friends often only a few/half of the people who say they are going to be there actually turn up but it's never been a problem. A few of my friends sometimes get annoyed about it but as long as I see all of them at some point eventually I'm not too irked.

My two closest friends were consistantly at least 20 minutes and maximum 2 hours (mean average about 45 minutes) late every time they met up with me for years though. Often the three of us would meet before going on to meet other friends so altogether I've probably spent days standing at the station on my own. Sometimes I'd take issue with it if they had been a whole hour + but we just get along so well and have so much fun I'd often forget how annoying it is as soon as they arrive and not even mention it.
Recently they have started just always being on time anyway, thank goodness. : D
jumpingjesusholycow
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I guess if they were so unrealiable in your case OP, they were probably not great people to make plans with; either they didn't want to go in the first place or they're just so uncaring of your time/attention that they weren't worth the effort anyway.

In my case, unreliable friends have come in the form of girls who can't keep a secret/keep things to themselves. By the next day, they'll have told someone my news/personal story and they'll have told someone else etc. etc. It's absolutely disgraceful and that's why I generally choose to keep things like that to myself apart from my best mate whom I can trust irrespective or my girlfriend.

What a shame people are so flaky/unreliable though, really is.
Pinkaddiction23
Rep:
?
I kind of see the perspective of you guys. But I dont think I am overreacting. It's gotten to the point now where I don't even makes for occasions like my birthday because I know they'll let me down.

Some plans I don't mind like fair enough if they can't afford it. But for stuff like this, she knew perfectly well that I was planning on booking tickets, therefore a simple yes or no would have been good enough. Of course all alone I knew she wasn't going to go, or reply to my message, but I thought i'd see anyway to see if my predictions came true.

Seriously can't wait to get away to uni to make proper friends!
Michael Locke
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
No, I learned to stop bothering with everyone who does that. I just can't be bothered if they can't.
Pinkaddiction23
Rep:
?
(Original post by Michael Locke)
No, I learned to stop bothering with everyone who does that. I just can't be bothered if they can't.
I seriously would do that. But that would leave me with no one........my most reliable friend is moving 500 mile away next week

The rest, friend 1, 2 and 3, are useless at keeping plans! :mad:
Ludwig Wittgenstein
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Oh I know. Which is what irritates me, because they expect me to bend over backwards to help them. Maybe it's time I made some changes. Agreed? http://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/i...s/confused.gif
Just get a boyfriend, he will only ask you to bend over forwards.
Michael Locke
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I seriously would do that. But that would leave me with no one........my most reliable friend is moving 500 mile away next week

The rest, friend 1, 2 and 3, are useless at keeping plans! :mad:
No seriously, **** them. Or start turning up at their homes whenever you feel like it, and being like "Hey man, don't be a pussy, let's go and do something!"
OhNoZo
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I have had a few friends like that in the past, I have just learnt not to run around after them any more. I am a reliable person, if I am asked to be somewhere at a certain time I will be there, I cant understand how people have the ignorance to let people down like that.
I think you shouldnt run around after them, dont put up with it.. If i have a friend who is messing about changing their mind I just put it straight.. are you coming or not I need an answer now.
haithere
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I dunno, sometimes we have plans like a night out and in the end it just fizzles out with people one by one saying 'meh, don't think I can be bothered' but that tends to only be if there was only 4 ish of us going out, and no one can be bothered making the effort for such a small group.

I've never had any issues like that though.. one on one, last minute things.
rawwwwr!
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Heh one of them is like that, but only ever when its a big group of people so them not coming doesnt really make any difference :mute:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (101)
19.65%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (210)
40.86%
Nope, not that interesting (203)
39.49%

Watched Threads