Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'd really REALLY prefer self-catered cause:
    -I want to save $$$
    -I'm sure I'd hate the catered food, I'm very picky

but people are saying that dental students would be too busy to prepare or buy their own food, and it's much better to go self catered. What do you think?

The only self-catered place relatively near to campus at Bristol is Clifton Hill, and it has no en-suites

Help?

ReputationRep:
    Well I can tell you're not coming to Manc bu I can tell you that here I'd rather die than eat the **** they serve you in catered accommodation. I imagine it's similar elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    self catered all the way

you're the one that wants to do dentistry i presume, so surely you know you will be working hard anyway?

ReputationRep:
    yeah, that's what I thought the food would be like
    and true, alexsheppard11, that came across my mind too, if i go catered, I only enjoy the convenience for on year - I'll have to cook for the rest of the 4 years anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwertie126)
    -I want to save $$$
    -I'm sure I'd hate the catered food, I'm very p

but people are saying that dental students would be too busy to prepare or buy their own food, and it's much better to go self catered. What do you think?

The only self-catered place relatively near to campus at Bristol is Clifton Hill, and it has no en-suites

Help?
    If you stay in Stoke Bishop go for catered as there aren't too many shops nearby. If you get Clifton then its easy too cater. The catered is not bad at all - lots of salads and other stuff if you are picky. You do have to work really hard in first year so catered is better.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, that's what I thought the food would be like
    and true, alexsheppard11, that came across my mind too, if i go catered, I only enjoy the convenience for on year - I'll have to cook for the rest of the 4 years anyway
    replace 4 years with life

ReputationRep:
    Another thought, if you go catered and are ill so can't walk to the food hall you won't get any food.

My boyfriends catered (not at Bristol) and he only gets breakfast and dinner, no lunch, and his flat doesn't have a kitchen to make lunch or snacks which is a huge pain in the arse.

I don't know how busy dentistry is, or if the shifts you have to do are awkward, but if you make big batches of food on days off and freeze it in indivual portions it'll help for the days when you've not got much time to cook.

ReputationRep:
    -I want to save $$$

Help?
    there is richmond terrace and a few other student houses which are all self catered, en-suite and in Clifton so near the city centre...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    -I want to save $$$

Help?
    As a bristol self-catered dental student, I can tell you that you will have plenty of time to cook your own food! If you're picky and want to save some money, it's definitely the way to go.

En-suite is convenient, but not that big of a deal. I'm pretty sure CHH is catered? I think Goldney and Manor Hall are pretty close and self-catered. (double check that though!)

Being near to campus is useful though, stoke bishop is about a 45 minute walk down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cocomango)
    As a bristol self-catered dental student, I can tell you that you will have plenty of time to cook your own food! If you're picky and want to save some money, it's definitely the way to go.

En-suite is convenient, but not that big of a deal. I'm pretty sure CHH is catered? I think Goldney and Manor Hall are pretty close and self-catered. (double check that though!)

Being near to campus is useful though, stoke bishop is about a 45 minute walk down.
    35:p:

ReputationRep:
    I live in Richmond Terrace (self catered, ensuite and in Clifton) and one of my flatmates is a dentist and he prepares EVERYTHING from scratch, so he certianly has time to cook! He even has days off which surprised me as he's doing a coruse that I presumed would have them in 9-5 everyday.

Clifton Hill House is catered so I'm not sure why you've put that there? Goldney (some have ensuite) and Manor Hall are the only halls in Clifton owned by the Uni, or there are plenty of student houses, some with ensuites (Richmond, Winkworth and Hawthorns), all of which are self-catered.

You may find it mroe useufl as well to put this in the Bristol accommodation thread
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by alexsheppard11)
    35:p:
    Depends where you're going I suppose. To woodland road, then yeah, 35 minutes. He'll be having lectures in the SMS (amongst lots of other places) which are more like 40 minutes. (Or you can cycle and it's quick)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angel_night)
    I live in Richmond Terrace (self catered, ensuite and in Clifton) and one of my flatmates is a dentist and he prepares EVERYTHING from scratch, so he certianly has time to cook! He even has days off which surprised me as he's doing a coruse that I presumed would have them in 9-5 everyday.

Clifton Hill House is catered so I'm not sure why you've put that there? Goldney (some have ensuite) and Manor Hall are the only halls in Clifton owned by the Uni, or there are plenty of student houses, some with ensuites (Richmond, Winkworth and Hawthorns), all of which are self-catered.

You may find it mroe useufl as well to put this in the Bristol accommodation thread
    ooh Richmond Terrace is on my shortlist!!! what is it like there? it looks quite pretty i have a friend in winkworth and she says she has a tiny airplane toilet. are the rooms and bathrooms in richmond decently sized? oh, and how long does your flatmate take to get to classes?

ReputationRep:
    ooh Richmond Terrace is on my shortlist!!! what is it like there? it looks quite pretty i have a friend in winkworth and she says she has a tiny airplane toilet. are the rooms and bathrooms in richmond decently sized? oh, and how long does your flatmate take to get to classes?
    richmond terrace is lovely :yep: even the small rooms are much bigger than the average uni room. everything is beautifully furnished, plus we have lovely ensuites, some of which are massive :eek3: . my dentist flatmate in 1st year is based in the main rpecinct i believe, so it's only a 10 minute walk from here nice and easy!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 28, 2010

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.