Higher Physics Question - HELP!! Watch

nat_1606
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hi,

Can anyone explain how you are supposed to do Q14 in the multiple choice part of the 2006 Higher Physics paper?

Thanks!
boromir9111
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
What's the question???
nat_1606
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
There's a diagram to go with it that I can't copy in. Theres a source of light and its reflecting off a bit of metal and also going straight on and the two beams meet to produce a maxima (it doesn't tell you what order). It tells you the distance from the source of light to the maxima directly, and asks you to calculate what the indirect distance (via the surface reflecting the light) is.
boromir9111
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
interesting question, would be great if i could see actually..... if not then i am sorry, you're gonna have to wait for someone who does this paper!!
teachercol
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Genral rule is to look at the path differecne

This sounds like a variation on Lloyds mirror. (look it up) There is a 90 degree phase change on reflection

so you get maxima when the path diff is (n + 0.5) x wavelength

Cant do much more without the question!
roar558
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by nat_1606)
Hi,

Can anyone explain how you are supposed to do Q14 in the multiple choice part of the 2006 Higher Physics paper?

Thanks!
As constructive interference occurs, the path difference must be (400+28n)mm, the only answer which fits this is D at (400+28x2)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (953)
79.88%
Leave (240)
20.12%

Watched Threads