Easily one of the most chilled out halls I've read about

Who's with me?
vsvtovmv
Badges: 0
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by darksicilian)
Easily one of the most chilled out halls I've read about

Who's with me?
I am! but still not sure if i'll get in LSE...
gonna get the IB results in July

i wanna know more about the hall though!!
darksicilian
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
******* wicked hall bro.

See you there. Whats your offer?
lizzierocks
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
someone keeps on pooing either on the floor or on the toilet seat...

mmm hot.
darksicilian
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
damn. well, see you there liz
oakbluffs
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Just got my offer for Carr-Saunders now!

I hope they've stopped pooing on the floor by septembr :\
jimmyraven
Report 8 years ago
me i guess, although i kinda like the look of bankside now. i'm sure its pretty awesome though, do yall think the location is good?
oakbluffs
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by jimmyraven)
me i guess, although i kinda like the look of bankside now. i'm sure its pretty awesome though, do yall think the location is good?
Seems like the surrounding area is pretty quiet, but I guess that could be a good thing, considering it's within walking distance of everything more or less!

As long as there's a half decent pub nearby I'm sorted :yep:
ChubbyChutton
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Meeeeeeeeee
jimmyraven
Report 8 years ago
should we be glad we've got in here? i mean, its real cheap right, and pretty damn central. what could go wrong?
oakbluffs
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
should we be glad we've got in here? i mean, its real cheap right, and pretty damn central. what could go wrong?
Well I read on the wiki that they had a cockroach problem at one point..but I'm staying positive!
lizzierocks
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
just to put your minds at rest, there have been no cockroaches in the two years ive been here. the wiki was written by a prolific saunders member a year before i arrived, when there were cockroaches.

basically the only problems you are likely to encounter are misleading claims about building work. if your room faces in on the "courtyard" (youll understand better when you arrive) then it can be just as noisy as facing the street, and you get woken up by the bin lorry revving its engines on certain days at very unsociable hours... anyway, building work... they claimed for this year that we would have construction work up until november 2009.. its now june 2010 and its still going on right outside my window. hopefully this shouldnt be a problem for new saunderites though (but you never know). i was woken up this morning to a circular saw whizzing around cutting crap. me no happy.

kitchens are basic, ie no ovens but youll know about that already. seem to get along fine with what we are given seeing as most people eat out/upstairs, though beware, upstairs has got into the habit of recycling food recently. yum. ive never had to wait for a hob/the microwave. dont be afraid to throw out someone elses food if its off... kitchen monitors are rubbish and people have a dreadful habit of refusing to cover any of their food which stinks the fridge out and makes everything go off.

area is good, near regents park, oxford st etc etc, good transport links everywhere... yadayadayada. not really any problem with crime, though we did have one mugging on the doorstep a month or so back. once in two years isnt bad!

there is no bar anymore, but the committee use it for massive events and sell cheap booze anyway, so we dont notice a difference really, seeing as people dont see the benefit of a bar selling something double the cost of sainsburys when youre looking to get lashed before a big night out

basically thats it. everyone knows everyone here which is awesome, nice and tight knit.

i havent heard of poo on the seats/floor recently. thank god. the culprit probably left.
jimmyraven
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by lizzierocks)
just to put your minds at rest, there have been no cockroaches in the two years ive been here. the wiki was written by a prolific saunders member a year before i arrived, when there were cockroaches.

basically the only problems you are likely to encounter are misleading claims about building work. if your room faces in on the "courtyard" (youll understand better when you arrive) then it can be just as noisy as facing the street, and you get woken up by the bin lorry revving its engines on certain days at very unsociable hours... anyway, building work... they claimed for this year that we would have construction work up until november 2009.. its now june 2010 and its still going on right outside my window. hopefully this shouldnt be a problem for new saunderites though (but you never know). i was woken up this morning to a circular saw whizzing around cutting crap. me no happy.

kitchens are basic, ie no ovens but youll know about that already. seem to get along fine with what we are given seeing as most people eat out/upstairs, though beware, upstairs has got into the habit of recycling food recently. yum. ive never had to wait for a hob/the microwave. dont be afraid to throw out someone elses food if its off... kitchen monitors are rubbish and people have a dreadful habit of refusing to cover any of their food which stinks the fridge out and makes everything go off.

area is good, near regents park, oxford st etc etc, good transport links everywhere... yadayadayada. not really any problem with crime, though we did have one mugging on the doorstep a month or so back. once in two years isnt bad!

there is no bar anymore, but the committee use it for massive events and sell cheap booze anyway, so we dont notice a difference really, seeing as people dont see the benefit of a bar selling something double the cost of sainsburys when youre looking to get lashed before a big night out

basically thats it. everyone knows everyone here which is awesome, nice and tight knit.

i havent heard of poo on the seats/floor recently. thank god. the culprit probably left.
That is a fine reply and has put my mind at rest, thank you. To clarify, there are kitchens available for use for everyone? Obviously very basic but so that everyone in the hall can potentially bring in food to microwave or whatever? The information on the LSE site seems to omit this, I got the impression there was the restaurant and nothing else, but that sounds much better if facilities are available. The crime thing is good to hear too, its easy to worry about things like that, it being so central. The walk to LSE isn't too much of a trouble is it? It's a nice enough walk it seems. The proximity to the Tesco Metro etc is really good too, for, as you say, getting mad drunk. Kind of looked forward to having a bar on site but not a huge deal really.
lizzierocks
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
That is a fine reply and has put my mind at rest, thank you. To clarify, there are kitchens available for use for everyone? Obviously very basic but so that everyone in the hall can potentially bring in food to microwave or whatever? The information on the LSE site seems to omit this, I got the impression there was the restaurant and nothing else, but that sounds much better if facilities are available. The crime thing is good to hear too, its easy to worry about things like that, it being so central. The walk to LSE isn't too much of a trouble is it? It's a nice enough walk it seems. The proximity to the Tesco Metro etc is really good too, for, as you say, getting mad drunk. Kind of looked forward to having a bar on site but not a huge deal really.
everyone can use the kitchens. there is one on every floor with a microwave and hob, which is good enough for most things tbh. you can only access the kitchen on your floor through your keycard. also, three fridges and some floors have freezers, but good luck with that, last year the administration took out freezers because people said there was no fridge space... now you can guess what people complain about...

the walk to LSE is 20 minutes to NAB if youre in a rush and 25 to the rest of LSE. the walk, esp if you take the back route avoiding new oxford st which is always busy and lots of traffic which slows you down.

the bar is used for all the important events it would be used for anyway so all is not lost. plus, they spent heaps of money employing people and running it which was a bit crappy really. common room is bigger for you to get lashed in anywayz.
BloodyUcas
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by lizzierocks)

Hi, i was just wondering how much storage space there is for clothes? I have got LOADs of clothes and am wondering whether i should take them all.. Thanks1
closetotheedge
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hi all,

Are you allowed a small fridge in your room?

Ditto question about wardrobe space.

Thanks
Empire
Report 8 years ago
woooot finally found this thread!!

anybody set up a facebook group for all us freshers?
VinnyC
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by closetotheedge)
Hi all,

Are you allowed a small fridge in your room?

Ditto question about wardrobe space.

Thanks
When I was there two years ago, you were allowed fridges in the room, but you were charged a lump sum for the privilege- can't actually remember how much.

The wardrobe space is laughable, several girls I knew ended up with a pile of shoes in one corner of their room, and clothes racks scattered round the rest of it. If you're the sort of person who doesn't like wearing an outfit more than once a month, I'm afraid you're gonna be a little screwed.

Word of advice- two of the most invaluable things I owned were an electric fan and a george foreman, the halls are boiling in summer, and you'll be glad you've got something you can cook a steak on when you find all 4 hobs in your kitchen are being used by the same person to cook different types of rice.

All in all, Saunders was great, but because everyone knows each other, gossip travels like wildfire- try not to do anything you're not prepared to hear about for the next month or so, and carefully vet your sexual conquests to ensure teasing is kept to a minimum, and you'll have a good time
DaveParlour
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Good to hear its a tight knit little community, see you all in 3 weeks!

Oh yeah and has anyone received their welcome/freshers pack yet? As I haven't...
Empire
Report 8 years ago
anyone know if theres sinks in the rooms?

And hows the food situation? is the cafeteria any good?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (532)
80.24%
Leave (131)
19.76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed