Users who have sold on Amazon: Come in Watch

This discussion is closed.
swifty
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Hi I want to sell some books on amazon but I'm not really sure how the fees work.

On Amazon it says:

"Individuals selling at Marketplace pay a £0.86 per item completion fee, plus a closing fee of 17.25% of the sales price (11.5% for Electronics & Photo items) for each item sold."

If I put a book on a price such as £10, how much do I actually profit?

As well I know that Postage and Packaging is £2.75.

So does Amazon actually get £0.86 + 17.25% of £12.75?
Mrs_F
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Hmm I sold a book last week on Amazon for £9.99 and I got £9.99 in my bank account. It said that they paid the postage and packaging but I haven't received any money for that so I'm a bit unsure about it really!
saiyamanadingdongbanana
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by swifty)
Hi I want to sell some books on amazon but I'm not really sure how the fees work.

On Amazon it says:

"Individuals selling at Marketplace pay a £0.86 per item completion fee, plus a closing fee of 17.25% of the sales price (11.5% for Electronics & Photo items) for each item sold."

If I put a book on a price such as £10, how much do I actually profit?

As well I know that Postage and Packaging is £2.75.

So does Amazon actually get £0.86 + 17.25% of £12.75?
i think they get 17.25% of £10

or about £2 by the looks of things..
kikzen
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
sometimes i get less back than the buyer pays which is a bit dumb.

p&p is paid together with the book so alll the money uyou get is 'charged'
Kura1984
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Postage and packaging should be paid for seperately but I don't know if this is included in the VAT... it shouldn't be, you shouldn't be getting charged VAT on P + P.

I really couldn't make it clearer for you... the only time I ever 'sold' on Amazon got completely messed up by Amazon themselves who didn't send me the payer's address and so I got a bad rating and no money!

However, when I did 'nearly' sell that item on Amazon, the p + p was added on AFTER the price of the item itself. So I would have the money for the item and then the money for the p + p. But, that was over a year ago.

Hope that helps.
Stick Man
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Hi

On a £10 book Amazon take 17.25% (£1.73) plus 86p (£2.59). They will charge the buyer the £10 plus £2.75 for p&p, and give you £2.26 out of that p&p charge, with which to post the item.

Total profit to you = £10 sale - £2.59 fees + £2.26 p+p supplement = £9.67, minus whatever the post office charge you.

Edit: profit to Amazon = £2.59 seller fees + £2.75 p+p charge - £2.26 given to you = £3.08
drawmeamonkey
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
they sure know what they're doing, bet they make more profit from a marketplace trader selling the book than they do if they sell it themselves!

ebay and paypal are also raking it in with their fees - paypal is owned by ebay, so why do i get charged by ebay, and then by paypal aswell?? shocking! :eek:
classy_bird
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I know - the Ebay thing is shocking (but then we're a captive market so they can call the shots really can't they!)

I was thinking about selling a few books on Amazon because I hear you get a better price than you do on Ebay (I'd be a bit miffed parting with a £14.99 book that I've never read for 75p or something on Ebay). Didn't realise it was so complicated tho....might save that for a rainy day at uni
Stick Man
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
they sure know what they're doing, bet they make more profit from a marketplace trader selling the book than they do if they sell it themselves!
Thats why they allow people to sell their stuff on Amazon.
ebay and paypal are also raking it in with their fees - paypal is owned by ebay, so why do i get charged by ebay, and then by paypal aswell?? shocking!
Yes, but as there are few alternatives, they can charge whatever the hell they want.

Edit: ( Many thanks to whoever repped me on this thread :party: )
psychic_satori
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
The fees suck, but, if you think about it, if you aren't going to be using the item, you get more for it than you would from re-selling it in another form. I actually use the Amazon marketplace to sell my textbooks when I'm done with them, and I get a much nicer profit than I would selling them back to the university book store.

Edit: I also bought most of my textbooks on the Amazon Marketplace and I saved over $300, which is always handy!
swifty
Rep:
?
It seems like I'm going to make losses than profits it I'm trying to sell my books on amazon ..................
psychic_satori
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
well, it depends on the value of what you're trying to see. I always work out the math and make sure that I'd be making enough profit for it to be worthwhile.
Stick Man
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by swifty)
It seems like I'm going to make losses than profits it I'm trying to sell my books on amazon ..................
Possibly. But at least with Amazon you get to sell at a fixed price without risk of your item going for 75p. And there's no charge if your item doesn't sell.

Stick it on at the price you want (for free) and forget it. If you get the email saying "its sold", hooray. Otherwise, you can just stick it on again at a lower price.
swifty
Rep:
?
If i bought a book for 18.77 pounds altogther and I would like to sell it, what would be the minimum I need to charge to have no lost at all?

Can you show me how to do it someone please?
psychic_satori
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
x - (2.59 + .1725x) = 18.77

x = 25.81
Stick Man
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
1) £18.77 * 0.1725 (17.25%) = £3.24 << you must add £3.24 >>

2) Completion fee = 86p << you must add 86p >>

3) Amazon postage credit given to you = £2.26 << you must subtract £2.26 >>

TOTAL: £18.77 + £3.24 + £0.86 - £2.26 = You must charge £20.61 plus what it costs to post the item, you can look this up at royalmail.com
swifty
Rep:
?
You are all so brilliant!

Thanks
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (16)
30.77%
No - I got the required grades (29)
55.77%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (7)
13.46%

Watched Threads