Turn on thread page Beta

Edexcel Religious Studies - NEED HELP (Philosophy and Ethics) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have a fairly good knowledge of philosophy and ethics and if every question was 'outline' I would do pretty well, but as it's not when it comes to the examine - looking at some questions they would completely throw me and I wouldn't have a clue what the question wants.

For Example
    - Last Years Paper

1a)
    i) Examine main strengths and weakness of design argument for existence of God (fair enough could probably just about deal with that one)
    ii) The design argument show existence of God is probable, Comment on this view. (that's pretty much the same question and I would just repeat myself, so what's it actually wanting?)

Also next question
    1b)
    i) What are main strengths of Cosmological argument? (does this mean I can only write about strengths, because there is no way you can learn 21 marks on just the strengths)

Please Help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fishboy13)
    I have a fairly good knowledge of philosophy and ethics and if every question was 'outline' I would do pretty well, but as it's not when it comes to the examine - looking at some questions they would completely throw me and I wouldn't have a clue what the question wants.

For Example
    - Last Years Paper

1a)
    i) Examine main strengths and weakness of design argument for existence of God (fair enough could probably just about deal with that one)
    ii) The design argument show existence of God is probable, Comment on this view. (that's pretty much the same question and I would just repeat myself, so what's it actually wanting?)

Also next question
    1b)
    i) What are main strengths of Cosmological argument? (does this mean I can only write about strengths, because there is no way you can learn 21 marks on just the strengths)

Please Help
    Weaknesses as well. Criticisms and challenges to the criticisms. Think outside the box a bit with it is what we've been told (for OCR though)
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    If I remember from the old edexcel syllabus it differed from the OCR one in that 'thinking outside the box' i.e. adding things in that weren't relevant to the question (like weaknesses when it asked for strengths) was more likely to lose you marks from wasted time than gain you any although the syllabus change may have altered that, so maybe my advice is irrelevant there :p: but I'm pretty certain that if they differentiate between 'strengths and weaknesses' in the first question and 'strengths' in the last one this still holds true

But you're right, 21marks for: 'the Cosmological argument is good because a, b, c, d...& u reason' would be impossible, try to elaborate and use examples (who said what & why?), what advantages does it have over other arguments (you've just done a question on the strengths and weaknesses of the design argument so it should be fresh in your mind...but remember you don't need to repeat yourself and waffle unnecessarily, you should be able to work out how long you have to get each mark so don't waste that time...but thinking 'why is this argument good' will help), and use the correct terminology

As for differentiating between the first two questions they are very similar but note the difference in the way the questions are asked, it's asking you to do different things with the information

Can't find my old document with explanations of what each type of question is asking you for but Edexcel resources might help:

http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gce/gce...s/default.aspx

ReputationRep:

For Example
    - Last Years Paper

1a)

Also next question
    1b)

Please Help
    I did this paper and this question last year (I'm sure there was more to this question) but if I can remember rightly I commented on the strengths and then concluded with criticisms/weaknessess.
    Got 147/150 on that paper... Was very proud of myself:woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lilrascal19)
    Got 147/150 on that paper... Was very proud of myself:woo:
    the paper is out of 90....

ReputationRep:
    the paper is out of 90....
    The uniform mark is out of 150, unless they have changed the syllabus
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    If we're talking about the same paper in both cases then no syllabus change will make any difference, so it's likely you're right, whilst raw marks might be out of 90 it's possible ums are out of 150 to get the weightings for the various modules right

ReputationRep:
    ok cool, do you have any tips for revising the edexcel philosophy and ethics. ive made notes on the topics but feel i should do something else.

Also did you do an 'investigations' paper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skipp)
    If we're talking about the same paper in both cases then no syllabus change will make any difference, so it's likely you're right, whilst raw marks might be out of 90 it's possible ums are out of 150 to get the weightings for the various modules right
    Yeah, I completely forgot they convert the raw marks into UMS. But even so, the paper I did, each question carried 40 marks, and we had to answer three of them which was 120 marks altogether. But if the syllabus hasn't changed then yes the UMS mark for each paper at AS level and A2 level and the coursework is out of 150.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I completely forgot they convert the raw marks into UMS. But even so, the paper I did, each question carried 40 marks, and we had to answer four of them which was 120 marks altogether. But if the syllabus hasn't changed then yes the UMS mark for each paper at AS level and A2 level and the coursework is out of 150.
    I am doing Edexcel Religious Studies AS Level - Philosophy of Religion (Philosophy and Ethics) - same spec as last year

4 questions - have to answer 3.

each question has past i) 21 marks and part ii) 9 marks

- the second exam is one question for 50 marks (half the AS)

ReputationRep:
    ok cool, do you have any tips for revising the edexcel philosophy and ethics. ive made notes on the topics but feel i should do something else.

Also did you do an 'investigations' paper
    I can't really remember, investigations does ring a bell;

I did
    6581: This was called foundations.
    6582: This was the coursework, can't remember what the name for that was.

A2 Level.
    6583: Developments
    6584: Implications

I made notes on each of the topics in full.

Drew up tables of the main ideas, strengths and weaknesses.

I also did spider diagrams for each of the scholars, so Aquinas and whoever else and wrote down what their ideas were.

Revision cards also helped me a lot as well, I had these stuck up in bedroom.

For A2 and Im sure it will help you in AS as well, I answered the past paper questions using my notes, which helped me a lot.

Do you have to answer the ethics part of it as well, so utilitaranism? just war?

ReputationRep:
    I can't really remember, investigations does ring a bell;

I did
    6581: This was called foundations.
    6582: This was the coursework, can't remember what the name for that was.

A2 Level.
    6583: Developments
    6584: Implications

I made notes on each of the topics in full.

Drew up tables of the main ideas, strengths and weaknesses.

I also did spider diagrams for each of the scholars, so Aquinas and whoever else and wrote down what their ideas were.

Revision cards also helped me a lot as well, I had these stuck up in bedroom.

For A2 and Im sure it will help you in AS as well, I answered the past paper questions using my notes, which helped me a lot.

Do you have to answer the ethics part of it as well, so utilitaranism? just war?

Yeah Philosophy Topics
    - Cosmological
    - Teleological
    - Problem of Evil
    - Miracles

Ethics
    - Utilitarianism
    - Situation Ethics
    - Just War
    - Religion & Morality

Did you selectively revise? or just learn them all?

ReputationRep:
    you can revise two from one section and one from another.
    For example, im revising the cosmological argument from the philosophy section and just war and utilitarianism from ethics.
    Its up to you really just whatever 3 you feel comfortable with but you must make sure you answer either 2 from philosophy and one from ethics or 2 from ethics and one from philosophy. hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    I'm revising everything except - miracles, sexual ethics, religion and morality.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 28, 2010

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.