Turn on thread page Beta

Buzzing from active monitors watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I run a pair of Tascam active monitors from my Mac using a Phonic Digitrack usb soundcard. I get a lot of buzzing from the left channel (and a small amount on the right) which is very noticeable and annoying when they are on but not being used. Is there anyway i can correct this. Monitors are about 4 years old.

Thanks
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Does it sound like this?

ReputationRep:
    Does it sound like this?
    Sounds like the 50hz but obvs not quite that loud.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Is your Mac a laptop? Try unplugging it from the mains.

ReputationRep:
    Is your Mac a laptop? Try unplugging it from the mains
    Dosen't seem to make any difference. The speakers are plugged into the main any way.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Okay, it must be coming from another source. I'd try unplugging stuff in succession and see if you can work out what's the root cause of it. Also try moving power supplies away from your audio rig.

Unfortunately I'm not sure there's much you'll be able to do short of an isolator, which is rather overkill for something like this...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reviresco)
    I run a pair of Tascam active monitors from my Mac using a Phonic Digitrack usb soundcard. I get a lot of buzzing from the left channel (and a small amount on the right) which is very noticeable and annoying when they are on but not being used. Is there anyway i can correct this. Monitors are about 4 years old.

Thanks
    As Dez suggested, you could use a ground loop isolator. I have active monitors that buzz slightly. I find that there is less buzzing when I set the gain on the speaker low but with the source level set high (but not clipped).
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    That's cheaper than I thought it would be. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    That's cheaper than I thought it would be. :p:
    I don't know what the quality of it will be like though. In Maplins they charge about £30 for a GLI.

Edit: just done a google search and you can get them for a few quid.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by friendly_fiend2)
    I don't know what the quality of it will be like though. In Maplins they charge about £30 for a GLI.

Edit: just done a google search and you can get them for a few quid.
    That's 'cos it's Maplin, innit. They're always overpriced.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    That's 'cos it's Maplin, innit. They're always overpriced.
    t'internet prices FTW.

ReputationRep:
    just done a google search and you can get them for a few quid.
    Will give it a shot, though i may just have of subjected them to too much abuse.

ReputationRep:
    It may also be one of the compenents picking up mains from another source. It may also be worth trying different cables and also unplugging different parts to see what effect that has.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.