Is a masters needed to do a PhD Watch

This discussion is closed.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Fluffy)
BBSRC is going to 4 year masters (as are the MRC and the physicsy research council) - decision based on part by the recommendations of the Roberts Report.

This is a generic 1st year (usually spent doing mini-projects and learning techniques), before starting your research proper in year 2, submitting in year 4.

Shiny's D.Phil is following this model...
good to know I wasn't imagining it
Fluffy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Doh! 4 year PhD/D.Phil sorry, not masters! Hope you knew what I meant! Durrrr! At least there's only 25 minutes til home time
HITMAN_No1
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Alright i'm confused, i'm getting conflicting Opinions. Thanks for the reply anyways.
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by HITMAN_No1)
Alright i'm confused, i'm getting conflicting Opinions. Thanks for the reply anyways.
That's because there's no blanket concensus. It will depend on:

Discilpline to be studied
University
Department of uni
nikk
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Thanks PQ and Fluffy - I had heard about these new route PhD's but wasn't aware that this was now standard across Biosciences. It is certainly good news though and a much better system IMO
Chicken
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
When I went on my interview at one uni I applied to, the admissions tutor was telling us that if we planned on doing a PhD then we should do the BSc as its a quicker way to do it and we didn't need to do the extra year for the MChem degree (but then again he was nearing 60 and probably very much not with these 'new' style degrees...he did his years ago when none of these new fangled things were around!)
nikk
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Chicken)
When I went on my interview at one uni I applied to, the admissions tutor was telling us that if we planned on doing a PhD then we should do the BSc as its a quicker way to do it and we didn't need to do the extra year for the MChem degree (but then again he was nearing 60 and probably very much not with these 'new' style degrees...he did his years ago when none of these new fangled things were around!)
When I applied to university, I wasn't even aware that you could do a undergraduate degree and combined masters! I guess I should have researched a little more! Still, as it turns out, i'm happy with what i've got
Chicken
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by nikk)
When I applied to university, I wasn't even aware that you could do a undergraduate degree and combined masters! I guess I should have researched a little more! Still, as it turns out, i'm happy with what i've got
And i've dropped down from an MChem to a BSc now anyway! Although it is in favour of doing a more specific taught MSc instead of the MChem which is more broad chemistry but with fewer option modules available (and there's no way i'm going down the PhD route!).
danni_bella
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by nikk)
Yup my friend got a 2:1 in BSc Biological Sciences and went straight onto his PhD It must be said that most people do study a Masters first however.
Yeah I agree with what nikk said b/c there's someone at my uni who's done the same thing, ie. went on to do a PhD straight after BSc. Freak Jks jokes, hehe! :p: He's really smart actually, and clever with social skills too, to boot.

DB_x
nikk
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
And i've dropped down from an MChem to a BSc now anyway! Although it is in favour of doing a more specific taught MSc instead of the MChem which is more broad chemistry but with fewer option modules available
Yeah that would be my preference as well.

(and there's no way i'm going down the PhD route!).
hehe you've had enough now have you? :p:
Chicken
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by nikk)
hehe you've had enough now have you? :p:
I had enough about 3 months after I started :p:
Japie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'm thinking of doing a Ph.D. in Canada, and there it is possible to initially register for a M.Sc. program and continue straight into the Ph.D. program after 1 year, provided that you have achieved excellent results.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?

Yes (186)
18.98%
No (590)
60.2%
Not really bothered about them (204)
20.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise