Turn on thread page Beta

birkbeck students..everyone welcome.. watch

ReputationRep:

Hello all..

just wondering..who did get into an access course this year ??

I just got uncoditional offer from Birkbeck university(certificate of higher education to subjects allied to med.), iam very happy about it .

anyone applied to birkbeck ?

update us people..how is everything going? any interviews? any offers?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, ive got uncond. offer as well on Fri 21st, ive also recieved an email confirming that.
    i am hoping to apply to medschool next year but im not sure how many medical school are there accepting this course?! and what unis or how likely medschool offers places to this course!

just hop for good........

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I graduated from Birkbeck in June 2009, with a Certificate of HE in Legal Methods. I am now nearing the end of my first year as a law student at Oxford University.

Just thought I will say hi and offer my advice and support to people who might visit this thread.

ReputationRep:
    Hey

Anyone got an interview date at Birkbeck?
    The last time I heard of them was in March; they wanted to come back to me once they had an interview date arranged .. aren't they supposed to be sometime around June?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vitamortis)
    :hello:

I had an interview on Friday, 21st of June for Life Sciences for Subjects Allied to Medicine and received an unconditional offer.

What are you going to study?
    I had mine on the 21st as well in the end Obviously just started worrying too early about it. Got an unconditional offer as well and will be studying Theatre Studies & English. Got everything sorted out for October already? =)

ReputationRep:
    Anyone doing a research degree at Birkbeck?

ReputationRep:
    I'm a second year Law LLB student!!! Already looking forward to going back in October!!!

ReputationRep:
    Oh excellent! Are you studying a degree, or Certificate of Higher Education? I am somewhat prepared. :p:

Yourself?
    Well, somewhat sounds good It's a degree, but neither am I fully enrolled yet as I still don't have a UK bank account to pay my fees nor do I have any idea where I'll be living. But time will tell, I suppose.

(Original post by ms throatwobbler-mangrove)
    Well, somewhat sounds good It's a degree, but neither am I fully enrolled yet as I still don't have a UK bank account to pay my fees nor do I have any idea where I'll be living. But time will tell, I suppose.
    Oh, I see. Are you in London at the moment? I wouldn't worry about it, to be honest. I'm sure everything will sort itself out in the end!

ReputationRep:
    im lookin for accomodation near the birkeck school of law, have applied to the 4 yr LLB program, does anyone know of safe accomodation near Birkbeck, school of law?

(Original post by allis20)
    im lookin for accomodation near the birkeck school of law, have applied to the 4 yr LLB program, does anyone know of safe accomodation near Birkbeck, school of law?
    I'm not quite sure if the university offers accommodation. Are you looking to rent?

ReputationRep:
    :hello:

I sent you a message a while ago, but perhaps you didn't receive it. :dontknow:

But anyway, I was hoping you could give me some advice for applying to Oxford, and life as a student at Birkbeck. I was just wondering about the references the tutors give out for UCAS, and since the Oxbridge deadline is just 2 weeks after the course begins, isn't that going to be a little problematic? I mean, how are the tutors at one of the best universities in the world supposed to base their decisions when you have little-to-nothing in terms of academic achievement? I assume the personal statement is going to be very important in receiving an interview? Also, if you have any other tips, I'd be very grateful! And how's the teaching at Birkbeck?

Thank you!
    Hi!

I'm sorry, I don't remember receiving a message from you :dontknow:

What would you like to know about applying to Oxford? I'm afraid you might have to be a more specific....

In terms of life as a student at Birkbeck, I studied once a week and my classes were on Monday evening and lasted for three hours. There were six assessments, including an in class test, plus a continuous assessment of class participation. Our tutor was great and so were other tutors on the LLB. The law department's director of studies is a very inspiring man too

Re the references, it wasn't a problem. The tutor predicted me a distinction and I also got the second reference from the director of studies, who was happy to help.

In respect to PS, yes, I think it plays a very important role, as does your work experience and previous achievements outside of academia. The interview is what matters most, I think. Or at least that was the impression I got at HMC.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=eve_22]

Re the references, it wasn't a problem. The tutor predicted me a distinction and I also got the second reference from the director of studies, who was happy to help.

Hi all, also starting at Birkbeck this October doing a CertHE.

Eve, it would be very helpful to know the criteria used for your prediction. I will only have two classes with my tutor before the Oct 15th deadline so unless we are given course work week on the first day of the course to be submitted the following week and marked immediately, I don't understand how a tutor could predict a distinction?:confused:

(Original post by Orianne)
    Hi all, also starting at Birkbeck this October doing a CertHE.
    What are you studying?

ReputationRep:
    What are you studying?
    legal studies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eve_22)
    Hi everyone,

I graduated from Birkbeck in June 2009, with a Certificate of HE in Legal Methods. I am now nearing the end of my first year as a law student at Oxford University.

Just thought I will say hi and offer my advice and support to people who might visit this thread.

I would like to know more about ur experience @ birbeck. am shocked OXFORD university accepted your legal method certificate. r u really studying @ Oxford. am impressed legal method was accepted. pls mail me back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peckham)
    I would like to know more about ur experience @ birbeck. am shocked OXFORD university accepted your legal method certificate. r u really studying @ Oxford. am impressed legal method was accepted. pls mail me back.

To be honest, I don't really feel the need to convince you that I am in fact studying at Oxford :yep: . Indeed, to pretend to study at Oxford would require one to be a rather sad person....

However, if my entry qualifications surprise you, check this page http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/under...nt_offers.html - scroll down to Birkbeck college and you will there was an offer made by Oxford in 2009 for law, conditional on a distinction in the Legal Methods course.

As for more information about Birkbeck, I cannot really tell you much unless you ask specific questions... :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I'm not quite sure if the university offers accommodation. Are you looking to rent?

yes i am thank you. applied to the part-time LLB, so not eligible for residence i hear.

anyone know of apartments nearby, near the tube stations?

any links etc, would be helpful.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be doing the full-time LLB so looking forward to meeting you guys =)

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,

I have completed a few modules on Birkbecks Cert in History and have been accepted on to the History BA. However, I have deferred until next year due to financial reasons and the fact that I am now expecting baby number 3 in March.

I am ready though and although a little anxious to get started despite it now not being until next year I plan to keep my academic momentum going with the prelim reading lists for the modules I will study.

For those of you who want to know what it is like to study there... my experience so far has been brilliant. I was a little intimidated at first as I (at 28) seemed to be one of the youngest in my class and everyone just seemed to know so much and have such well formed opinions, however over the last year I can see that this is a massive asset to my learning and I cannot wait to get going.

I have found all the staff helpful, knowledgable and engaging.

I find it useful to attends public lectures to hear them speak so I can rule out those who send me to sleep so that I only pick subjects and lecturers who I find engaging.

The atmosphere is brilliant as it is situated between SOAS and UCL so I feel like I am in a real academic world.

The library is reasonably well stocked but I would advise that you join Senate House next door who always have many more copies than Birkbeck.

I believe that you can also use the other UoL libraries.

Good luck all... and even though I am not startying this year now.... I might stick around if that is ok.

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.