Turn on thread page Beta

Royal family is the cause of "class divisions" watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Would you agree with this?

Just so you know where I stand, I firmly stand to the left perhaps even to far left. Coming from Scotland I haven't directly experienced much class divide but it exists although thankfully not as bad as I've heard in England. Anyway, everyone I've spoken to here agree the the Royal family promote class divisions as it clearly seperates people into having more importance than others it also shows everyone that class mobility is not easy since there will always be people "higher" than you no matter how hard you work.

ReputationRep:
    No. I've never me anyone who thought that. Do nyou hang out with other lefties too? Class is just a convenient pigeon hol that people can sling mud at for their own purposes.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say they are the cause of class divisions, but they are a symbol of some of the more unfair and undemocratic parts of our society.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by feelingsupersonic)
    Just so you know where I stand, I firmly stand to the left perhaps even to far left. Coming from Scotland I haven't directly experienced much class divide but it exists although thankfully not as bad as I've heard in England.
    I wouldn't agree with that. As far as class division goes in Britain, there is a pretty large divide in the main Scottish cities.

Anyway, everyone I've spoken to here agree the the Royal family promote class divisions as it clearly seperates people into having more importance than others it also shows everyone that class mobility is not easy since there will always be people "higher" than you no matter how hard you work.
    That's the reality of Britain today: class mobility is not about how hard you work, it's effectively a caste into which you are born. Dedicated social climbers often just end up looking like fools.

No, I don't think the Royal family have anything whatsoever to do with that: they're barely significant in the average person's daily life, yet this social divide in British society certainly is. As for 'importance' - the Queen performs a duty rather than having some sort of privilege: that's what it means to be a constitutional monarch in modern Britain. It's not about importance.

For my own part, I don't really mind class divides.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    So you think it's fair that two babies could be born at the exact same time in the exact same hospital yet when they left the hospital with their families, one could have an easy path already laid out for them into university then onto a good job, the other would have a high percent chance of achieving little academically and in the end have a much shorter life expectancy?

ReputationRep:
    No, they are a symptom.

ReputationRep:
    I don't get people's obsession with class divides either. I don't see what's wrong with them tbh. And I don't think the Royal Family influences them, in fact I don't think they influence much of anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    That's the reality of Britain today: class mobility is not about how hard you work, it's effectively a caste into which you are born. Dedicated social climbers often just end up looking like fools.
    :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tefhel)
    I don't get people's obsession with class divides either. I don't see what's wrong with them tbh. And I don't think the Royal Family influences them, in fact I don't think they influence much of anything.
    Lets stop wasting money on them then and use their allowance to sort our economy out :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ludwig Wittgenstein)
    Lets stop wasting money on them then and use their allowance to sort our economy out :rolleyes:
    I don't think £8 million a year will sort out the economy. Maybe we should stick huge taxes on football transfers - that'd easily raise far more.

ReputationRep:
    OP, your signature is sort of cool :yep: but I'm not in agreement that the monarchy promotes social divides. The royals themselves are patrons of charities which help the poorest in this country, and William and Harry are servicemen and work alongside people from all walks of life. :love: I am working-class, and I blame social divisions on failed politics rather than the monarchy.

ReputationRep:
    The class didvide is only as important as you make it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    I wouldn't agree with that. As far as class division goes in Britain, there is a pretty large divide in the main Scottish cities.

No, I don't think the Royal family have anything whatsoever to do with that: they're barely significant in the average person's daily life, yet this social divide in British society certainly is. As for 'importance' - the Queen performs a duty rather than having some sort of privilege: that's what it means to be a constitutional monarch in modern Britain. It's not about importance.

The true notion of Torie thinking shines through. Facade of meritocracy when actually you value Boris and Little Lord Fauntelroy. You don't deserve democracy.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think £8 million a year will sort out the economy. Maybe we should stick huge taxes on football transfers - that'd easily raise far more.
    Well while the Tories want to cut public spending they still have no problem with paying a bunch of ignorant and disconnected toffs to sit on their arses, have sex scams and perhaps fly to a third world country once a year to go shake a dying Africans hand. Every little helps, yanno?

SWEET.

ReputationRep:
    Well while the Tories want to cut public spending they still have no problem with paying a bunch of ignorant and disconnected toffs to sit on their arses, have sex scams and perhaps fly to a third world country once a year to go shake a dying Africans hand. Every little helps, yanno?

SWEET.
    At least they are paying it to people who do something - go out as ambassadors for the country, representing our nation.

It'd be far better to cut the spending that goes to fat lazy people on benefits who stay at home all day watching Trisha. Believe me they cost far more than £8 million a year.

ReputationRep:
    When in doubt about ingrained class inequality - blame the monarchy! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    At least they are paying it to people who do something - go out as ambassadors for the country, representing our nation.

It'd be far better to cut the spending that goes to fat lazy people on benefits who stay at home all day watching Trisha. Believe me they cost far more than £8 million a year.
    oh come on, you know it's not as simple as that. don't discredit yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)

I agree with most of what you say, though the queen doesn't really serve a duty, unless by duty you are referring to her largely irrelevant and replaceable role within current politics. If you were part of the underclass would the last line you typed, which I don't agree with, change?

ReputationRep:
    oh come on, you know it's not as simple as that. don't discredit yourself.
    Yeah, and it's not as simple as the Royal Family sitting on a gilded chair all day - presumably just staring into nothingness and sometimes shaking a 'dying African's hand', is it?

Pot, kettle, black much?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nempozpag)
    I agree with most of what you say, though the queen doesn't really serve a duty, unless by duty you are referring to her largely irrelevant and replaceable role within current politics. If you were part of the underclass would the last line you typed, which I don't agree with, change?
    Does the President of Germany serve a duty?

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.