is it hard to make friends at college? Watch

hjp94
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
i am going to a college next year, but i dont have any of my friends going with me so i will be completely on my own, i'm not the loudest of people but im not completely rude and quiet either. is it hard to make friends?
SmartFool
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I went to college only knowing one person, and its caused more problems than it would if i went on my own :/ , best idea is to go where you know at least a few people from high school, after visiting another college in my area and seeing mine also, it seems that as long as you know a few people then as a "group" you make more friends, whereas i know some people who are on their own that go home for lunch everyday!... However if you do go to a new college on your own, make sure you mix, always go to the college canteen!!! it seems the people who made friends did this and made friends there! make sure you are semi-close to one person and it should be ok,
if you are a boy it will be much easier though!
Kuriso
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by hjp94)
i am going to a college next year, but i dont have any of my friends going with me so i will be completely on my own
In my experience you shouldn't have much of a problem at all, most people at college barely know anyone else there (except for one school that pretty much sent it's entire year there :shifty:) and people are generally very friendly and up to talking to anyone and everyone
i'm not the loudest of people but im not completely rude and quiet either. is it hard to make friends?
I was a lot like this a well tbf, just make the effort to talk to as many people as you can in the first couple of weeks and you shouldn't have any problems :yy:
tashhh
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
When I started college in September, only one of my friends was going with me and we didn't have a single class together (I was kind of lucky in that people I'd known from primary school were there so I wasn't totally lost but basically I hadn't spoken to them in five years!). Now, I can pretty much always find a few friends to hang around with during frees etc.

I found the best thing to do was to have a couple of random conversation starters (other than the obvious 'so what other subjects do you do/what did you do for GCSE/what school are you from' ones which take up 75% of the first few weeks) so if there's an awkward silence you can say something to fill it. Also, being absolutely honest ('I know absolutely no-one in this room, mind if I sit here?' said with a big smile) works well too.

Remember, everyone's going to be in classes/tutor groups with at least a few total strangers, so you're not the only one!
StartSomething
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It is very easy to make friends at college
Just make sure you get in there on the first day and make loads of friends.
I didn't know anyone when I started college and made some great friends from it
Pedus
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
well lets just say that if you're a social retard, then I'm sure you'll fit into the "geeks club" up in the maths rooms.. :ahee:
ranbow99
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by hjp94)
i am going to a college next year, but i dont have any of my friends going with me so i will be completely on my own, i'm not the loudest of people but im not completely rude and quiet either. is it hard to make friends?
Depends which one you go to...

Some colleges can be quite cliquy (like mine is) and most people know a lot of other people because they went to the same school. I also found many of the girls at my college were quite *****y and didn't want to break out of their friendship groups. But if you're a guy you probably won't have this problem!!

Just talk to everyone and if you meet a friendly person in your class, ask them if you can eat lunch with them. Its a bit scary for the first few weeks, but it gets better :yep: It goes really fast too, so make the most of the experience!
Scandalousk
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I was nervous when I first went to college...the first couple of weeks will be the hardest, but you will make a friend or friends after that, it just happens.It's so weird looking back at the year and realising how close i am with people now that I didnt even know at the beginning of the year.

Dont stress, enjoy your summer,lol
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (139)
46.33%
Pro-humanity (161)
53.67%