Turn on thread page Beta

15 weeks to get a good body- achievable? watch

ReputationRep:
    I've got 15 weeks (just over 3 months) break over summer, and one of my aims is to get a good body. By this I mean I want to have bulked up a lot, as well as cut down my body fat level. I've been to the gym sporadically, but due to the fact that I have exams soon, I haven't gone at all for the past couple of months. I'm quite skinny, but I've developed a bit of a belly in the last couple of months due to not exercising enough/eating too much junk food. However, I want to change this all.

Just to give you a brief idea of my proportions:

height: 6ft 1
    Weight: 80kg

Now I know that in order to bulk up, I will need to eat a lot (I'm aiming for about 4000cals a day), and also lift heavy. I'm planning on starting the Starting Strength program, going to the gym 3 times a week. The only thing is, I have a history of very tight hamstrings, and so I find it difficult to squat low enough. Is there an alternative exercise to this?

Do you think I could achieve this type of body in the 15 weeks? (below). Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Haha...

That would probably take 3+ years naturally. Probably more...

ReputationRep:
    Like that guy? Not a chance.

ReputationRep:
    Unless you post how you look now, how can we say?

Guy has out of proportion arms and a reasonable chest with low bodyfat.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on where you are now, but given that you've just been going to the gym "sporadically" I can't imagine you're at a point where all you need to do to get into that sort of shape is cut. You can add a bit of muscle in 15 weeks on a good strength routine (especially if you're a beginner) and a good diet, or you can cut quite a lot of fat if you're strict about it, but you haven't got long enough to bulk up enough to make a cut down to a bodyfat as low as in that picture worth it.

ReputationRep:
    from skinny and natural I reckon that physique is probably a years worth of training....probably a bit more. But while he looks good, he's not that big at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by josco2941)
    I've got 15 weeks (just over 3 months) break over summer, and one of my aims is to get a good body. By this I mean I want to have bulked up a lot, as well as cut down my body fat level. I've been to the gym sporadically, but due to the fact that I have exams soon, I haven't gone at all for the past couple of months. I'm quite skinny, but I've developed a bit of a belly in the last couple of months due to not exercising enough/eating too much junk food. However, I want to change this all.

Just to give you a brief idea of my proportions:

height: 6ft 1
    Weight: 80kg

Now I know that in order to bulk up, I will need to eat a lot (I'm aiming for about 4000cals a day), and also lift heavy. I'm planning on starting the Starting Strength program, going to the gym 3 times a week. The only thing is, I have a history of very tight hamstrings, and so I find it difficult to squat low enough. Is there an alternative exercise to this?

Do you think I could achieve this type of body in the 15 weeks? (below). Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I think it would take about 4 months if you went at full on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Genesis-ar92)
    I think it would take about 4 months if you went at full on
    If it was that easy, half the guys at gyms would look like that.

Which unless you go to a proper gym, they won't.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but most guys at the gym train terrible and eat terrible.

With a good routine and good diet, you can achieve a lot in 6 months, with average genetics. What you have to take inconsideration though is that their diet will just generally improve over time, very few people have routine and diet nailed right away.....knowing what to do and doing it is also 2 different things. That's why i think telling people to do a perfect routine and diet right away is pointless....best off just improving the main bits such as routine, then improve diet a fair bit and then just let them improve over the next months.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LoRdShRaPnEl)
    If it was that easy, half the guys at gyms would look like that.

Which unless you go to a proper gym, they won't.
    yeah you are right its not that easy, but I mean if you just dedicated nearly 3 hours a day to solid building you may have a chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hugh-Jackman)

With a good routine and good diet, you can achieve a lot in 6 months, with average genetics. What you have to take inconsideration though is that their diet will just generally improve over time, very few people have routine and diet nailed right away.....knowing what to do and doing it is also 2 different things. That's why i think telling people to do a perfect routine and diet right away is pointless....best off just improving the main bits such as routine, then improve diet a fair bit and then just let them improve over the next months.
    I suppose that's true.

(Original post by Genesis-ar92)
    yeah you are right its not that easy, but I mean if you just dedicated nearly 3 hours a day to solid building you may have a chance.
    What would you do for 3 hours??

ReputationRep:
    Ofcourse, it only takes lyk fifteen minutes.
    And I have xx chromosomes.
    wtf.

)

ReputationRep:
    no, but post pics when you do achieve that please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hugh-Jackman)

I know where you're coming from, but there's a massive difference to being that big (in the picture) to being that size and ripped. It would take years, naturally.

I'm pretty lean, but I would lose a lot of size getting to that level of conditioning.

ReputationRep:
    Even if you ate perfectly and had a great routine a skinny noob wouldn't achieve that in 6 months.

ReputationRep:
    Like has been said, 15 weeks is a push.

For next summer would be a more realistic target, at 6ft 1 your talking 90-95kg roughly for something like that roughly?

ReputationRep:
    I'm assuming that you're not very advanced, and so no, thats not do-able in 15 weeks. You could pack on a decent amount of muscle with a good diet and routine, however. I wouldn't consider cutting back until you've put on a good amount of bulk.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it'll be worth the weight.

ReputationRep:
    That's not achievable in that sort of time frame dude, though no doubt that in 4 months you can still improve quite a bit.

From what I hear, to get that cut he (Ryan Reynolds) went on a very intense diet/exercise regime. Not sure what kind of timeframe he did it in though, or what his starting point was.

edit:

Quote from an interview he did soon after Blade Trinity (which he bulked up for)

"Reynolds is shirtless for much of the film, showing off his added bulk. The look didn’t come through 8 minutes a day of Bowflex. It was a *****. “I’m not a guy who can bulk up very easily. It was seven months of one-track mind and utter focus. Three hour workout sessions and then you go into a 15-hour workday shooting the movie. It was intense.”

Before this bootcamp-ish regimen, his most demanding exercise was, well, hiking. “When I asked the trainer if I could get ripped by hiking, he didn’t find that funny or possible at all."

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that's enough time.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.