Best course for Primary Teaching Watch

Megz_Wilkoz
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I want to go into primary teaching after earning my degree so I was wondering what degree would be best to take. I fancy combining Education Studies with Psychology but would that be pointless if I'm teaching primary school kids. Would it be more beneficial to combine it with something that is taught in a primary school (but for my A-levels I'm taking German, English Lit, Psychology and Human Biology), or would it be better to take just Education Studies or is Psychology and Education Studies a good idea? Is anyone else doing any of these? Please help, I'm so confused :confused:
little_k
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Ideally you should do a degree in a national curriculum subject, but saying that, education studies and psychology would give you a good grounding.

It may be that after your course you decide teaching isn't for you, so if education and psychology is something you really want to do then go for it!!

Perhaps you could email some unis that offer PGCEs and see what they would say about it?
gadget-Geek
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I agree with the above if you want to be a primary school teacher do a degree with the national curriculum in mind, psychology probably won't help, you'll learn about kids etc doing a PGCE why not do English lit therefore when you become a teacher you can earn more money by becoming leader/head in that subject with psychology you won't as it isn't taught
cloudengel
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
you could do a BEd or BA in actual primary teaching if you know already that that is what you want to do...
Vodkaslur
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
HELLO !!

I wanted to do primary education as a degree but my teacher basically screamed at me telling me that people who do a primary school teaching degree start off on a much lower salary than those who have a degree then go on to take their teaching degree ..They'll basically respect you more with a degree

Good luck thoughh xx
Megz_Wilkoz
Rep:
?
(Original post by gadget-Geek)
I agree with the above if you want to be a primary school teacher do a degree with the national curriculum in mind, psychology probably won't help, you'll learn about kids etc doing a PGCE why not do English lit therefore when you become a teacher you can earn more money by becoming leader/head in that subject with psychology you won't as it isn't taught
I had thought about that but English Lit isn't really a very strong subject for me.
Megz_Wilkoz
Rep:
?
(Original post by Vodkaslur)
HELLO !!

I wanted to do primary education as a degree but my teacher basically screamed at me telling me that people who do a primary school teaching degree start off on a much lower salary than those who have a degree then go on to take their teaching degree ..They'll basically respect you more with a degree

Good luck thoughh xx
Really!! Do you know what you are going to do? My cousin told me you don't get much of a social life doing Primary Education.
Johnny Luk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by little_k)
Ideally you should do a degree in a national curriculum subject, but saying that, education studies and psychology would give you a good grounding.

It may be that after your course you decide teaching isn't for you, so if education and psychology is something you really want to do then go for it!!

Perhaps you could email some unis that offer PGCEs and see what they would say about it?
Psychology is actually a excellent subject to do, especially if the course included developmental psychology, which can give a great insight in the mechanism of the way a child thinks, further enhancing your skill set as a teacher.
CharlotteCoster
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I am hopefully going to do a primary education degree next year and I would say, if u know thats what you want to be then do it as a degree as it gives you far more practice. and actually i am not sure i agree that you are given less pay, as it shows that you have decided early on that you want to be a primary teacher, and people will be far more respective of that. it shows your more committed too
sam.hunton
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
HELLO !!

Good luck thoughh xx
Quite laughable. Don't take this post seriously, there is a national pay framework for teachers which everyone starts on at the same level and progresses on at the same level.
Vodkaslur
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by sam.hunton)
Quite laughable. Don't take this post seriously, there is a national pay framework for teachers which everyone starts on at the same level and progresses on at the same level.
No they don't, don't be so judgemental on something you obviously have no idea about. :hmmm:

I doubt my teacher would lie. I also spoke to my old primary teacher and he confirmed it. :yep:

(Original post by Megz_Wilkoz)
Really!! Do you know what you are going to do? My cousin told me you don't get much of a social life doing Primary Education.
Yeahh it's mostly girls isn't it lol, but I guess you meet other people from your halls ... What are you going to do ??

EDIT: Sorry forgot to answer what I'm going to do lol ! .. Business and Marketing or Law .. although I want to do neither tbh lol
xx
sam.hunton
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
No they don't, don't be so judgemental on something you obviously have no idea about. :hmmm:

I doubt my teacher would lie. I also spoke to my old primary teacher and he confirmed it. :yep:

Yeahh it's mostly girls isn't it lol, but I guess you meet other people from your halls ... What are you going to do ??

xx

Take a look at the TDA website where it is in black and white.

http://www.tda.gov.uk/Recruit/lifeas...dbenefits.aspx
Vodkaslur
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by sam.hunton)
Take a look at the TDA website where it is in black and white.

http://www.tda.gov.uk/Recruit/lifeas...dbenefits.aspx
So? ... the starting salary can obviously be higher ... :\
sam.hunton
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Not in a state school. You receive TLR allowances for leading etc, based on experience.
*River
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
HELLO !!

Good luck thoughh xx
This is rubbish. It doesn't matter how you become an NQT - pay varies by region and there's a framework for the entire education sector (obviously excluding private schools).
Vodkaslur
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by *River)
This is rubbish. It doesn't matter how you become an NQT - pay varies by region and there's a framework for the entire education sector (obviously excluding private schools).
Okay. You'll see eventually I guess.
emma2308
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Megz_Wilkoz)
I want to go into primary teaching after earning my degree so I was wondering what degree would be best to take. I fancy combining Education Studies with Psychology but would that be pointless if I'm teaching primary school kids. Would it be more beneficial to combine it with something that is taught in a primary school (but for my A-levels I'm taking German, English Lit, Psychology and Human Biology), or would it be better to take just Education Studies or is Psychology and Education Studies a good idea? Is anyone else doing any of these? Please help, I'm so confused :confused:

I'm doing education and psychology at Greenwich uni this September! My reasons for choosing this is because I change my mind all the time about what I want to do and get bored easily, and doing this means at the end of the 3 yrs, i can do a pgce if i want to do primary, and if not then i can take a post grad course for something psychology related.

I've looked at all the modules for the course and they look really intresting, the only downside I can think of is that if your living in halls away from home, it might be hard to find course friends as you have lectures with different sets of people.

Plus i think it might look more impressive as a degree to have two subjects on it, you look more versatile and maybe even more knowledgeable :p: good luck!
*River
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Okay. You'll see eventually I guess.
I won't. Government payscales are not flexible and teachers are employees of the local council rather than the school itself. Obviously these payscales don't apply to the private sector, but the vast majority of teachers are employed in the state sector.
kim67ed
Report 8 years ago
Hi, I was in the same situation a few years ago and decided to take Maths as a degree first, just incase I didn't get on with Primary teaching.

The first thing I'd advise is that if you do take a degree first, you need to be really into whatever subject you decide to take. You have to work non-stop on this one subject for 3 years and it's going to be pretty boring and difficult if you don't really have a passion for the subject.

Secondly, in all of the PGCE interviews you are asked to explain the relevance of your subject to Primary teaching, so you need to make sure it's not a degree like media studies. Obviously English, Maths, Science are some really good degrees to pick as they are core subjects.

You could take a BEd, I don't think there's much difference in pay when you go into the field, as I imagine it all depends on how well you teach in the classroom. If you are going to hate 3 years of your life taking a degree not really related to what you want to do, then you should take a BEd.

It also depends if you're 100% certain that you want to be a Primary School Teacher. If you get a degree first you can get another high paying job later on in life, or teach secondary. If you get a BEd, you're basically stuck in Primary Teaching forever.

Hope this helps
Interrobang
  • TSR Support Team
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You can do a Primary PGCE with any degree - there are people on my course with degrees in anything from maths to English to journalism to graphic design... You just need to show your competency in them. After all, you will be teaching subjects that you haven't done since you were 14!

I was warned off the BEd, cos if you want to go into anything else, it's a pointless degree. At least if you decide to go into something else, you've got a non-vocational degree to fall back on.

Also, you don't have to have a degree in a subject you end up being the coordinator of - otherwise schools would have everyone from the same kind of background - a geography/history/art/French/etc degree and that's just not possible. You can be a leader by showing good teaching/planning/knowledge in the subject and then probably going on CPD courses for that subject
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1460)
79.56%
Leave (375)
20.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed