how can you increase your chances into getting medical school Watch

Jacker956
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I heard that 5 year standard medicine (stragiht after medicine) is hard and very competitive.

How about if you spend three years on a medical course and then do graduate medicine.

Also would doing duke of edingbrough award reaaly impress the interviewer for applying medicine.

Could someone plzz tell me...
krisblade
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Jacker956)

Um, what? Do you mean do a science degree followed by graduate entry rather than a normal 5 year medical degree? Graduate entry is more competitive, it takes 7 years in total so it takes longer and costs more. It is generally considered harder to get on Graduate courses than to get into undergraduate medicine.

So by taking another degree and doing graduate medicine, you will spend more time and more money and will less likely to get a place due to increased competition. If you can apply for the undergraduate course you should. People generally only apply to graduate due to deciding later in their life having already done a degree or not being able to secure an undergraduate medical offer.

DoE is one of the many things people but on their UCAS. However I don't think it is "really impressive", its good but its not amazing or anything. In fact a large number of candidates have it, so it won't make you massively stand out.
waney2011
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by krisblade)
attention grab
What extra-curricular things did you have?
Chocothunder
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You gotts to have da brainz for da medasin.
TooSexyForMyStethoscope
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I heard that 5 year standard medicine (stragiht after medicine) is hard and very competitive.

How about if you spend three years on a medical course and then do graduate medicine.

Also would doing duke of edingbrough award reaaly impress the interviewer for applying medicine.

Entry to the five year undergraduate course is competitive....but the competition for the graduate courses is much worse!! If you can do the undergrad...do the undergrad!! DoE looks good but lots of people have it...and plenty of people (me included) got in without it.
magichearts
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
useful/committed work experience will probably help you "stand out". certainly having no work experience will make you stand out but probably not in a good way.
waney2011
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by magichearts)
useful/committed work experience will probably help you "stand out". certainly having no work experience will make you stand out but probably not in a good way.
Someone else in your year replied in this thread. :p:
krisblade
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by waney2011)
What extra-curricular things did you have?
I assume you mean volunteering and work experience things

I did 6 months volunteering at on a hospital ward (respiratory) 2-4 hours a week, 3 months volunteering with Age Concern 2 hours a week, I did a 6 week research placement at the University of Surrey for my Nuffield Bursary, got a gold CREST award for it. I got two weeks work experience in a hospital on a surgical ward, I taught children science workshops and I am a fully qualified phlebotomist. I also have some other things I mentioned in passing on my PS, but thats the main stuff really.

As for extra curriculars, I put the normal stuff, interesting in music, reading, played for a hockey team etc.
GuitarManSai
Report 8 years ago
hows this?
grade 8 electric guitar, DofE silver, Hospital work experience, St johns ambulance cadet 3 years, 6 years of rugby, 4 years of cricket

Thats what ill have finished by next year...
waney2011
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by krisblade)
I assume you mean volunteering and work experience things

I did 6 months volunteering at on a hospital ward (respiratory) 2-4 hours a week, 3 months volunteering with Age Concern 2 hours a week, I did a 6 week research placement at the University of Surrey for my Nuffield Bursary, got a gold CREST award for it. I got two weeks work experience in a hospital on a surgical ward, I taught children science workshops and I am a fully qualified phlebotomist. I also have some other things I mentioned in passing on my PS, but thats the main stuff really.

As for extra curriculars, I put the normal stuff, interesting in music, reading, played for a hockey team etc.
No, I meant what I wrote, extra-curricular i.e. interests, hobbies, things outside academia you've done.
magichearts
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Someone else in your year replied in this thread. :p:
lol i know. funny thing is that i don't know who krisblade is...she might know me though. not many canadians in our class.
gleek#1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Get good connections
BeanofJelly
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
There's a sticky in the medical forum about what grades/extracurriculars/etc people had and where they got offers. Read it. ALL OF YOU.

IMO the best thing you can do beyond the basics is look closely at the medical schools and see what kind of candidates they are accepting. Then apply to schools which accept candidates who are like you (ie: preference for certain A-levels, preference for certain GCSE grades, preference for certain types of work experience).

For example, say you had very good GCSEs, imho, it is wasting your advantage to apply to medschools that don't mention how they require an excellent set of GCSEs.

If you don't have very good GCSEs, don't apply to schools that will reject you outright. Common sense stuff but so many people waste chances this way.
krisblade
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
No, I meant what I wrote, extra-curricular i.e. interests, hobbies, things outside academia you've done.
I had many outside interests but I didn't actually put that many down nor was I asked about that many! At my Sheffield interview they asked me why SHeffield and I told them about my interest in rock climbing, they have really good facilities in Sheffield. I talked about my interests in hockey and the stuff I did with my team. I was asked how I relax and talked about my artwork and singing. In my PS I mentioned books I enjoy reading etc. To be honest, you don't get asked a huge amount about them, and we were only told to spend a tiny fraction of our PS on them :dontknow:

(Original post by magichearts)
lol i know. funny thing is that i don't know who krisblade is...she might know me though. not many canadians in our class.
The Canadian thing is basically the only clue I have I thnk I know who you are... I think I have you on facebook so you could probably guess who I am based on my username, lol. It's hard when theres like 250 of us!
Jacker956
Rep:
?
so if you go to the university interview for medicine, what are they looking for?
i.e. candiadate who done most work experience, charity work, Grades,
digitalis
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
so if you go to the university interview for medicine, what are they looking for?
i.e. candiadate who done most work experience, charity work, Grades,
Why don't you read the FAQ?
Jacker956
Rep:
?
if you take a look at this website: http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/index.php?pageid=11
This is for graduate medicine entry, notice how the percentage of accaptence are like 7 to 14 percent. That sucks. This means there is nothing you can do to impress the interviewer.
gildartz
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
bribe the interviewers

if you take a look at this website: http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/index.php?pageid=11
This is for graduate medicine entry, notice how the percentage of accaptence are like 7 to 14 percent. That sucks. This means there is nothing you can do to impress the interviewer.
don't read into those percentages too much.
as_94
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
This means there is nothing you can do to impress the interviewer.
Not at all

It means that lots of people apply for a very small number of places, therefore making it very competitive. Clearly, the 14% who did get in impressed the interviewer more than the rest of them :rolleyes:
Jacker956
Rep:
?
ohhhh
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (985)
79.37%
Leave (256)
20.63%

Watched Threads