AQA biology unit 3 higher: How was it? Watch

onelessdayofschool
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
How did everyone find the AQA biology unit 3 test?
I thought it was ok but the ethanol question confused me.
im so academic
Badges: 13
Report 8 years ago
I didn't do it, but people I do who did apparently thought it was hard. :erm:
STARMissyB
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by onelessdayofschool)
How did everyone find the AQA biology unit 3 test?
I thought it was ok but the ethanol question confused me.
This is exactly what I thought
Contagious Chemistry <3
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I thought it was alright. Tad annoying they had three 'big' questions. No Transpiration questions! I thought the paper was a lot easier than unit 2
jipol
Badges: 0
Report 8 years ago
i only just remebered the theory was biogenesis pretty close to the end. I didnt really know why methane grows after carbon dioxide started growing.
The long questions were annoying but I think I got them right
SM94
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Easier than unit 2, but also got confused by the ethanol one
onelessdayofschool
Rep:
?
(Original post by jipol)
i only just remebered the theory was biogenesis pretty close to the end. I didnt really know why methane grows after carbon dioxide started growing.
for the methane qu' - i put the bacteria respire aerobically so they have energy to multiply and then respire anaerobically once there are a large number of bacteria. Not sure if it's right though
delllboy
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by jipol)
carbon dioxide first rose because oxygen was present and it respired aerobicly. once the oxygen was all consumed it repired anaerobicly which produced methane so then the methane went up.
atleast thats what i put :p:
juliewho
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
the ethanol-based fuels one was horrible, i wrote carbohydrase for some reason..?
+ the methane/Co2 one? :/
i had no idea, i wrote it respires aerobically and produces co2... got stuck.. and then wrote "methane production is later" ;D
laura94
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It was ok - thing is my class never finished the syllabus - all we learnt was about gas exchange in plants and animals, and how the kidneys work. (Though I still think I got the kidneys question wrong.)
The rest of it, I have no idea. I just guessed
I think my A* hopes just went out the window...
onelessdayofschool
Rep:
?
at least biology is OVER
jipol
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by juliewho)
the ethanol-based fuels one was horrible, i wrote carbohydrase for some reason..?
+ the methane/Co2 one? :/
i had no idea, i wrote it respires aerobically and produces co2... got stuck.. and then wrote "methane production is later" ;D
what it was is, the starch in the plant is broken down by carbohydrase into sugar. Then the yeast uses this sugar to respire anaerobically to produce ethanol.
juliewho
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by jipol)
what it was is, the starch in the plant is broken down by carbohydrase into sugar. Then the yeast uses this sugar to respire anaerobically to produce ethanol.
wow, i think i might've got it right then >.< i wrote the rest of the question first and then filled in the enzyme name right at the end because i couldnt come up with anything else :L
JoyBarking
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hmm, what did you put for the 'why did the sourdough bread taste sour at 32 degrees' question?
geeeek93
Report 8 years ago
i personally found it much easier than unit 2, but i know people who found it really hard.
liviluck
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by JoyBarking)
Hmm, what did you put for the 'why did the sourdough bread taste sour at 32 degrees' question?
That question confused me. I wrote about lactic acid then crossed it out and wrote about fermentation making ethanol. I think I was completely wrong though .
JoyBarking
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Ahh yeah, same here with the lactic acid thing as i saw the question after was about pH. I originally thought it was about carbon dioxide tasting sour then crossed that out haha. It must be something to do with that bacteria
instrumentalist
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
you were right with lactic acid:
the lactic acid caused sourness in the bread, and 32 degrees is when the bacteria had it's maximum growth rate therefore lactic acid was being produced the most
JoyBarking
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by instrumentalist)
you were right with lactic acid:
the lactic acid caused sourness in the bread, and 32 degrees is when the bacteria had it's maximum growth rate therefore lactic acid was being produced the most
Oh I see. Okay, thank you so much.
amylevasseur
Report 8 years ago
Why was that 'digestor' more expensive to run then other designs? oh and why did the solid concentration have to stay low?
I put for the latter that if there was too much solid the stirrer would not work, plus it would take much longer for the fermentation to occur and would require filtering etc. so more work.
For the 'digestor' question I put that it required lots of heat and that the fuel was expensive to store and basically a lot of scribbles.
any ideas?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Design: Ceramics, Furniture or Jewellery Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 25 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Do you think the internet has made political discussion more aggressive?

Yes (52)
98.11%
No (1)
1.89%

Watched Threads