The Student Room Group

PC2 Maths, AQA 24/05/10

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
could someone please for once and for all put me out of my misery and give me some clarity with regards to the translation - I'm sure I got it wrong, my answer being [3 0]
Reply 281
Jfranny
could someone please for once and for all put me out of my misery and give me some clarity with regards to the translation - I'm sure I got it wrong, my answer being [3 0]

There are four lot of "x", if you translate each "x" 3 unit to the right. The graph would move 12 unit......

Hope this make sense (which it doesnt) :frown:
Jfranny

Yeah, you got it wrong.
4x-3
4(x-(3/4))
translation of [3/4 , 0]. sorry!
Reply 283
:'(
Does anyone have a copy of the paper yet?
Reply 285
anonnumber6
was that for the integral value question? I thought the question states find the value of this integral and not the area under the graph therefore -1.7 is acceptable?

you can do it without using the answer found earlier

it said find the value of the integral, not the area, so I left it as minus on purpose.
Reply 286
i got for the area under the intergral -94.5..
was this the question where you had to find area between 1 and 0.5 ?
I really messed up in both of the core 1 and core 2 exams yeasterday! REALLY messed up. It was a retake as well and I was confident I was going to be fine. But now I don't know whether to carry it on to A2 because if I get a D or below isn't that a bit pointless? Can someone tell me what I should do pleasssse. I would've loved to carry it on to A2 and I was really good in class, like in practice papers I got C's and B's the real exam just let me down so bad.
Is there any point retaking for the third time? Or maybe retaking one unit in January? Or just erasing maths out of my life for good?
Jfranny
I hope you're right about the translation, although I suspect you're wrong.

Didn't it just ask for where it crossed the y axis or x axis, not the co-ords? I remember findinga value of 0 for something... just not (0,0)

It is [3/4,0] when you do a translation of 'a' along the x axis you replace 'x' with '(x-a)'. So 4(x-a)=4x-3 so just simply by eqauting the terms you can see 4a=3 so a equals 3/4.

Basma
it said find the value of the integral, not the area, so I left it as minus on purpose.

Then I'm 99% sure they can't mark you down for leaving it as a negative as that is the value of the integral and 17/10 isn't. However I do think the mark schemes will just wnat the absolute value so both negative and postive answers will be acceptable.
Reply 289
Possibly the hardest Core 2 exam I've seen since the beginning of the new specification, with some very nasty questions, particularly the last one which required using an answer in the previous question but not explicitly telling you that was necessary. Therefore I'm guessing the grade boundaries will be quite low. Anyone agree?
liambwfc
Possibly the hardest Core 2 exam I've seen since the beginning of the new specification, with some very nasty questions, particularly the last one which required using an answer in the previous question but not explicitly telling you that was necessary. Therefore I'm guessing the grade boundaries will be quite low. Anyone agree?

I think the last question was fair, you didn't have to use the answer to the earlier part to get it right. Hwoever I'm not sure how low the grade boundaires will be but it was on the same level as Jan '10 IMO so I would guess the garde boundaires will be similar.
Reply 291
Simonc89
Does anyone have a copy of the paper yet?

Ok guys I have the paper, once I figure out how to upload these photos I'll do so!!! And sorry in advance for the quality, but my camera's broken so I'm having to use a 1MP integrated webcam (:

P.s. you better all add to my reputation for this! :biggrin:
Reply 292
And Ollie, as I previously explained, for (8c) the transformation was a translation of 3/4 units parallel to the x axis, & apropos (8d) which asked for the x-coordinate of the x-intercept, the answer was x=3/4 also, as I also previously explained. Read chronicle's post #283 if you cannot be bothered to trail through the other 280 for mine for 8(c).
Reply 293
what was answer to the translation question...what was point Q???
Reply 294
rob...
Ok guys I have the paper, once I figure out how to upload these photos I'll do so!!! And sorry in advance for the quality, but my camera's broken so I'm having to use a 1MP integrated webcam (:

how the hell?
Reply 295
Jfranny
how the hell?

I've managed to hijack the paper, but i best replace it tomorrow before anyone notices :P
I'm just finishing off my answers on microsoft word, I won't be long :p:

See Page 16, post #s 301-303 for my typed solutions and questions!
**** my life.
Reply 297
rob...

Here they are:
Reply 299
And the answers: to which I hope you're all very grateful as it's taken me ages to find all the right symbols on microsoft word, and re-do the paper haha :wink:

There is the document, in the formats:
word 2009;
word 97-03;
PDF.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending