Can somebody help me with Student Finance? Because they're not. Watch

Lysdexia
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Just spent 5 minutes on the phone talking to some Indian guy with piss-poor English; didn't understand a word.

Anyway, my total household income for 2008/2009 was, let's say, £50,000+. This year it's around, £40,000. So, we downloaded a Current Year Income Assessment Form and my dad's accountant (because he's self-employed) filled in his estimated earnings of £30,000 for this year, but also put my mum's income on of £10,000. Should we instead have downloaded a separate form for each parent? (i.e. will SFE see this as my dad earning a total of £40,000, plus my mum earning £10,000?)

Also, since my dad is self-employed we were unable to send off a P60 or anything for his 2008/2009 income and for this form no evidence seems to be required. Will I have to send SFE some form of evidence of my dad's earnings, lest I end up getting the basic loan?

Finally... my dad is estimated to pay, let's say, £625 towards his private pension contributions. This won't be added to his total income, surely? I'd just miss out on a bursary if it does...

Thanks a lot for reading, rep goes to a helpful person.
u_dun_noe
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Erm, I wish I could help you by giving you the answer - but I think the best suggestion would be to call them up again (hoping that you get someone who understands you properly).

Each time I've called them, I've had no problem communicating with them at all - so hopefully, you'll be fine also =)
abbii
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
i think the pension contributions are included but i cant be sure, they are still income afterall but there is a part where you fill in how much of your income goes towards pensions if i remember right
evidence of your dads earnings would be a coppy of his tax return, (you can request somthing similar from HMRC if he didnt keep a copy, i think its a statement of earnings)
im thinking you would need a current year income assessment form for each parent since technically they have the right to refuse the other parent access to that information

and sometimes when you call they can be really nice and helpful so maybe try again
hypocriticaljap
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Your parents must fill in a PFF1 each.
On the figures you quote you won't get a maintenance grant but will get more maintenance loan. Are you sure about the bursary? Most universities only give bursaries to students on the maximum maintenance grant ie family income of £25K or under.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?