BSc Maths in OPEN UNI, thne MA in CITY? Watch

Alexander0884
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
So I am interested in Mathematics and Finance. You know Open university really appeals to me because of the flexibility it offers you to manage your education, work and social life.

However I feel that I had done several weeks research into this, and some people still bias about doing a distance degree, or rather "internet degree".

Anyway, so really Its competitive the kind of field I want to go into. Now, problem is I am an international student, from the EU. MY grades were kinda different.

Lets just say Id have to take A levels all over again, or for some reason. I cant bring myself to go through this again because in my country, A level material is somethign we study in high school, 2 years before we leave. Id would be like a secondary school pupil going back to primary school SAT exams.

1. So, I dont really want to waste time, I am allready turnign 22. Figures if I do a degree in Open UNI< I will be automatically Qualified to do a degree or a Masters in another University if I am right? Especialy if I get a First or a 2:1 as you call it? I assume University is only competitive for A Level students, but once a Student with a relative degree wants to apply, then its much easier?

2. So, ive mailed some universities about doing a foundation year, or going through a test of some sort. I understand that a lot of Universities havea foundation year programme, however many are reluctant to accept people into it?

3. Open University and employability. Ok the degree itself might be good, I will not argue with what I dont know. However, traditional, "brick and mortar" universities have got opportunities, job fairs, Sandwitch Years, industry placements etc. How does OU compare to them? I mean so far I understand theres zero, perspective on the employability of UO Graduates, they simply dont receive the same kind of benefits, level of Employment Help that traditional students get?

Sure it does state that 70% of UO students are employed, blah, anyone can get a damn job, its the kind of job that you WANT to get that counts. I dont wish to work as a Office Assistant with a mathematics degree for example. DOnt get me wrong here, I do not actually know what the figures are, I am in fact asking anyone who had graduated and has experience job hunting with an UO Certification.

Thanks in advance.
morecambebay
Badges: 16
Report 8 years ago
Did you find this site yet? http://www.open.ac.uk/careers/
dogie
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Alexander0884)
So I am interested in Mathematics and Finance. You know Open university really appeals to me because of the flexibility it offers you to manage your education, work and social life.

However I feel that I had done several weeks research into this, and some people still bias about doing a distance degree, or rather "internet degree".

Anyway, so really Its competitive the kind of field I want to go into. Now, problem is I am an international student, from the EU. MY grades were kinda different.

Lets just say Id have to take A levels all over again, or for some reason. I cant bring myself to go through this again because in my country, A level material is somethign we study in high school, 2 years before we leave. Id would be like a secondary school pupil going back to primary school SAT exams.

1. So, I dont really want to waste time, I am allready turnign 22. Figures if I do a degree in Open UNI< I will be automatically Qualified to do a degree or a Masters in another University if I am right? Especialy if I get a First or a 2:1 as you call it? I assume University is only competitive for A Level students, but once a Student with a relative degree wants to apply, then its much easier?

2. So, ive mailed some universities about doing a foundation year, or going through a test of some sort. I understand that a lot of Universities havea foundation year programme, however many are reluctant to accept people into it?

3. Open University and employability. Ok the degree itself might be good, I will not argue with what I dont know. However, traditional, "brick and mortar" universities have got opportunities, job fairs, Sandwitch Years, industry placements etc. How does OU compare to them? I mean so far I understand theres zero, perspective on the employability of UO Graduates, they simply dont receive the same kind of benefits, level of Employment Help that traditional students get?

Sure it does state that 70% of UO students are employed, blah, anyone can get a damn job, its the kind of job that you WANT to get that counts. I dont wish to work as a Office Assistant with a mathematics degree for example. DOnt get me wrong here, I do not actually know what the figures are, I am in fact asking anyone who had graduated and has experience job hunting with an UO Certification.

Thanks in advance.
1) Just because you already have a degree does not guarantee you will get in anywhere else. A lot of universities in fact do not like people studying a second undergraduate (without a post grad). And unless it is something SO SO SO important to you, remember the cost of studying in the UK as not a national.

2) The majority of universities do NOT require you to do a levels, but can substitute the qualifications of your own country.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a role model?

Yes - I know them personally (295)
26.06%
Yes - they're famous (288)
25.44%
No I don't (549)
48.5%

Watched Threads