The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Z_Ahmed
I'm in S6, and what if i don't meet my uni offer this year. Am i basically screwed then, this i can't resit or anything and it's extremely shameful that i couldn't meet an offer which was set at a level which i could have easily achieved.

So yh screwed some of my highers, probs got C's this yr instead of A's and B's. What should i do now, go and do a levels or something and get in through uni that way?

Ever heard of College? Re sit your highers and then go to uni.
Reply 2
Ross93
Ever heard of College? Re sit your highers and then go to uni.

I can't resit my highers after 2 yrs of doing them... it'll just be really tedious. Argh, how about clearing.. It's an option but what sort of courses usually go in clearing.
Reply 3
Options:
- Clearing. It might be worth looking at what courses were in clearing last year and see if you are interested in them.
- Gap year and reapply. With AAA at higher and 2/3 more highers you should be able to get into somewhere reasonable.
Reply 4
well i dont have enough knowledge about uni and all but dont u get like help and stuff from summer school :s-smilie:?
Z_Ahmed
I'm in S6, and what if i don't meet my uni offer this year. Am i basically screwed then, this i can't resit or anything and it's extremely shameful that i couldn't meet an offer which was set at a level which i could have easily achieved.

So yh screwed some of my highers, probs got C's this yr instead of A's and B's. What should i do now, go and do a levels or something and get in through uni that way?

If you don't get the offer there is still a chance of getting in, maybe your course still has spaces left and so you'll still get your space.
Reply 6
If you don't meet your offer:

- Call up the university on results day and see if they'll let you in (you might have a small chance if you just missed it).
- Go into Clearing.
- Take a gap year and re-apply.
- Go to a college and re-sit what you need to.

:smile:
Reply 7
Don't do clearing and jump into a crap Uni like I did. Wait a year. Use that year to get work experience, travel a little, take karate classes, whatever, perhaps you could do a short college course that would help you get into a course of your choice at a better Uni that you would have done had you gone through clearing. I panicked, and went to the only Uni left that offered a course I knew I would enjoy (I'm a 'Jack of All Trades- I enjoy a lot of things, but there was only one option left for me as I was on holiday during the first week of clearing). I got A's at GCSE, but did poorly at A-Level (mainly because of awful home life) and now I'm at Greenwich, knowing I could have gone somewhere much better. Don't do it! Wait!
Babb_zz
well i dont have enough knowledge about uni and all but dont u get like help and stuff from summer school :s-smilie:?

We don't have summer school in Scotland. Well, not anywhere I've heard of anyway. That would suck, being stuck in school during summer. Our teachers are too lazy though. :biggrin: And so are we. :p:
Reply 9
NaturalDisaster
We don't have summer school in Scotland. Well, not anywhere I've heard of anyway. That would suck, being stuck in school during summer. Our teachers are too lazy though. :biggrin: And so are we. :p:

There are. For example, Aberdeen University does a Summer School for Access programme. It consists of a ten-week course in degree related subjects, and allows people to develop and demonstrate their capability and potential for successful study at first year degree level. :smile:
rosie9391
There are. For example, Aberdeen University does a Summer School for Access programme. It consists of a ten-week course in degree related subjects, and allows people to develop and demonstrate their capability and potential for successful study at first year degree level. :smile:

Yeah, but that's university, not like proper summer school like they have in American TV shows. That's what I'm talking about. :p:
Reply 11
rosie9391

How would that help them to get into university if they missed their offer? Would they ask someone who has missed the offer to enroll on the programme in order to get in? :smile:
NaturalDisaster
Yeah, but that's university, not like proper summer school like they have in American TV shows. That's what I'm talking about. :p:

Oh, right, sorry. :o: I've heard of a few private schools in Scotland doing them, but no, not like the American style and they do have quite an emphasis on team/sporting activites. :p:
ENNGUF
How would that help them to get into university if they missed their offer? Would they ask someone who has missed the offer to enroll on the programme in order to get in? :smile:

If you think you haven't preformed well in the exams and will fail to meet the offer you can apply for the programme, it's done (well at Aberdeen) before results come out so it's up to you to apply or sometimes the uni will make it part of the offer for people returning to education. I'm not completely sure how it all works, sorry, as I've not had to look into it but have a couple friends who completed the Aberdeen one.

Latest

Trending

Trending