When is it ok to say the "N" word???? Watch

ShayCamp
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
So this is my problem...Some black people: "oh we are soo oppressed cos we were slaves and got called "******" or "negros" an oohhh white people cant say it cos it means YOU RACIST." But hold on...so why are black rappers calling themselves ****** then...oh surely it's alright to say it now...i mean its been 200 years since there were slaves ok so it's not a big deal now.... right??
But no, if a white person today were to drop the "n" word into a conversation, even if it's a jokey one, the room will go silent.
And here's the thing, white people I know are actually scared to say the"n" word in the company of a black person for fear of, i dont know what. I mean i personally dont give a **** one way or the other as i dont feel anything for those words.
But wait a minute arent there offensive words for white people? Like the "H" word and stuff? So why are black people allowed to call themselves "******" and white people "honkeys" but white people are still practically shot if they ever say the "n" word? :mad:

P.S If you guys still dont believe me then look again...which offensive words are blocked out by TSR and which words arent?
username406752
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It isn't okay from anyone in imo it's a common word for common people. Black people who say it are so hypocritical. But I think the the problem comes from the connotations of the word, if a black person says it it's not taken to be hateful but if a white person says it then it's implied that the person is racist.
The TSR Star.
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
when you are black and with a black homie.
The TSR Star.
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Natha_Lite)
It isn't okay from anyone in imo it's a common word for common people. Black people who say it are so hypocritical. But I think the the problem comes from the connotations of the word, if a black person says it it's not taken to be hateful but if a white person says it then it's implied that the person is racist.
Not all black people who say it are hypocritical. Its the ones who say it, and get mad when other people calling them a n****r. It's not just black people who say it to one another too, i've seen white people say it to their black friends but its all completely in jest. It depends how you say it as well.
D.R.E
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Rappers are not the the elected representatives of the entire black race.

And yes, white people should be wary of saying the 'n' word as you call it around a black person for obvious reasons.

To be honest this is actually a pretty stupid question, why would you feel the need to say the word to someone in the first place?
ciawhobat
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I use the word with anyone I meet fairly soon. If they get upset and offended then they can **** off, and if they giggle then we'll likely remain friends.
assmaster
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Like the dog in Dambusters...
lm_wfc
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ShayCamp)
i mean its been 200 years since there were slaves ok so it's not a big deal now.... right??]

lol.

but they ones who use it themselves and ones who get offended when other races use it are normally different groups of people.
username406752
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by The TSR Star.)
Not all black people who say it are hypocritical. Its the ones who say it, and get mad when other people calling them a n****r. It's not just black people who say it to one another too, i've seen white people say it to their black friends but its all completely in jest. It depends how you say it as well.
Yeah that's what I meant, if they want to say that word then they should be fine with hearing it imo. I think it's such a stupid word though so I don't say it but I'm not particularly offended by it.
Puma
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It is not racist to say that word, it is racist to say that word with the intent to cause harm or distress.
QwentyJ
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
In context or if a black person says I can use it in his/her presence.
VanDerWaal
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63M34s8afbo
Tyrotoxism
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
when you are black or when a damn ****** pushes you over and steals your monies.
x y z
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Spetznaaz)
Good point. There is a difference between n*gga and n*gger though, they call themselves n*ggas's not n*ggers
What's the difference? Lol. They both sound the same.
Xx.MissEG.xX
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
So this is my problem...Some black people: "oh we are soo oppressed cos we were slaves and got called "******" or "negros" an oohhh white people cant say it cos it means YOU RACIST." But hold on...so why are black rappers calling themselves ****** then...oh surely it's alright to say it now...i mean its been 200 years since there were slaves ok so it's not a big deal now.... right??
But no, if a white person today were to drop the "n" word into a conversation, even if it's a jokey one, the room will go silent.
And here's the thing, white people I know are actually scared to say the"n" word in the company of a black person for fear of, i dont know what. I mean i personally dont give a **** one way or the other as i dont feel anything for those words.
But wait a minute arent there offensive words for white people? Like the "H" word and stuff? So why are black people allowed to call themselves "******" and white people "honkeys" but white people are still practically shot if they ever say the "n" word? :mad:

P.S If you guys still dont believe me then look again...which offensive words are blocked out by TSR and which words arent?

Haven't really read all of it, but the only time it is ok is when it's black people calling themselves that. If white people use it, they're racist, but they call themselves that all the time.. Ah well, I guess it'll always stay that way
Memo100
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
My friend said it today, but because shes my friend I didn't say nothing, if she wasn't it was certainly going down.

Btw slavery was a major thing, its a shame that people don't put it in the same category as the holocaust and AA's are told to "move on" ie the word N***** should be used by everyone, you will never tell a jew to "move on ".

If you aint black don't use the word simple, or use the word and get killed. You're not allowed to use homophobic language, if a gay person said "that's so gay" would I tell him off? (obviously i'd be like wth, but if the word "gay" in the sense that most people use it was used in the same way that the "N" was used.
D.R.E
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Natha_Lite)
Yeah that's what I meant, if they want to say that word then they should be fine with hearing it imo.
To be honest, this is a pretty stupid thing to say.

Most of you in this thread seem to be convinced we use this word all day everyday when talking to each other. I can assure you, that we certainly do not so I don't see how it can be ok for you to say it.

Half of these supposedly 'funny' or 'friendly' uses of this word aren't even that. Would your mum think its 'funny' or 'friendly' if you walked in the house one day and called her a *****? Oh, but that word has existed for over 500 years and women can vote now, surely she should get over it right?

Grow up people.
SuperStarr1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

No, not at all. Racism still exists - it may not be as big as it used to be, but it is STILL around! Black people may use the N word to show a form of "brotherhood" so to speak, I don't know, I don't use it. But I do think why do white people feel the need to say it? Even if it is in a jokey/playful mood. Why should it become acceptable to say, just because 200 years have passed?

Ohh and I would find that the N word with "er" on the end, more offensive than "as" on the end. Why? I don't know! (& btw why can you write "n***os" and not "n***a" without censoring it?)
hungryhippo
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
..in your head :perve:
Joluk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iau-e...eature=related

Chris rock sketch :p:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (56)
19.31%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (117)
40.34%
Nope, not that interesting (117)
40.34%

Watched Threads