The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

aprilterri
As a black person I'd be insulted if someone called me the N word, regardless of race. The N word is still used as a derogatory term and it will never be reclaimed. Those who try to do it may have good intentions but it is still foolish. It gets me as well when Africans who haven't had the experience of slavery use it and try and use the same argument. like wtf? If some white people are still using the word as an insult then your reclaim campaign has failed. Black people who call me their N word will be met with my fist as I still see the word as an insult. I don't understand why people would want to reclaim such a word. It has a terrible past behind it and if anything should be forgotten.
It is mostly Americans who try to use it and it really gets to me when people over here try to copy such a stupid trend.
For me it is never ok to say the N word.
Also I've never heard anyone use racist words against white people.

But dont you think this whole preserving the word and viewing it with fear is what makes it more offensive? If someone views the word in a context in which it is made out to be some horrible thing then surely it is inevitable that on a personal level you find it so offensive. On the other hand someone who uses casually may not be offended by it because they use it in a casual manner. Basically a word is only as offensive as we want it to be.
seriously get over it. I can't think of any situations where it is "ok" to say the "n" word. As other people have mentioned, why would you want to or feel the need to? You meet someone new, and what instantly springs to mind is to say hi "n", if so i don't get why. I also haven't heard anyone call a white person a racist word before. I take on board and agree with you that it seems hypocritical that some black people (i think you are mainly going on RAP culture etc here) call each other this and so why cant other non black people say it though, but like i said i think you are thinking of many rappers...and i don't think they are saying that word they are saying it in a different way as others have mentioned which again does sound silly.

Also it's like the fact that fat people can say other people are fat without them getting too upset, gay people can often call each other rude words referring to being gay and so on, it doesn't make much sense i know but oh well. These sort of threads are so typical of TSR.
D.R.E
Rappers are not the the elected representatives of the entire black race.

And yes, white people should be wary of saying the 'n' word as you call it around a black person for obvious reasons.

To be honest this is actually a pretty stupid question, why would you feel the need to say the word to someone in the first place?

When you've listened to as much gangsta rap as I have, and completed gta san andreas twice, it's hard not to end every sentence with *****, *****.
To be honest, the only reason the word has an impact on black brits is because of the influence of the USA. That's definitely a not a reason to start saying it though.
Reply 64
I can't believe so many people think its ok to use this word. I'd personally break the jaw of any person who called me a n___ that's how much I'm against it. I really couldn't give a rats arseh0le if the likes of 50cent and Jay Z want to say it in their songs- they're illiterate ignorant rappers who were dragged up and not raised properly. I doubt they even know where the word comes from.

I also don't know any black people who use this word to each other either. OP you're making it sound as if we all go around calling each other it. Idiot.

I only have one word for black people who call it to each other. That is a "disgrace". Have some pride and self-respect. It's 2010 and we're not on a plantation. You make me sick.
In my opinion its never ok...
Reply 66
D.R.E
Half of these supposedly 'funny' or 'friendly' uses of this word aren't even that. Would your mum think its 'funny' or 'friendly' if you walked in the house one day and called her a bitch? Oh, but that word has existed for over 500 years and women can vote now, surely she should get over it right?

Grow up people.

i liked this.
and i agree completely.
i'm not black but i don't ever use that word.
ok so you may not mean it in a racist way, but its just something you don't have to say.
theres no point...
why can't you just say 'black' ?
i don't understand some people. :/
Reply 67
Best to shout it across the streets in Harlem, cant imagine anything bad could happen.
Reply 68
The ******* word needs to get eradicated. Doesn't matter if you're black or white or ******* green. Word needs to die.

If I hear anyone use it, my respect immediately decreases to a tenth of what I thought of them previously. There's no actual need to use the word out of its context, which in this case is 150 years ago.
Reply 69
I triple dare you to say it infront of a black person, just for kicks..
Sayers
Wrong! The word was born out of hate and will ALWAYS be a sign of hate. Now the word ***** and ****** are view in different lights by some of the black community. ****** (the N-word) was the one born out of hate. N*gga is the reformed version of n*gger often used greetings, rap songs and normal conversations. The meaning of the word n*gga is argued to have a new or changed meaning. Similar to females refereeing to themselves as B****'s. The meaning has changed in some ways and is now dependent on the use. And for some black people the issue with a with a person saying it is that they dont know your meaning or intent in your use.
I personally dont use either word nor do I think anyone should because of history behind the word.
Now as for you argument of it 'being 200 yrs. since slavery' it's a very ignorant and idiotic one. Yes it has been years since slavery but aggressive racism and the use of the word ******* was still taking place in the later half of the 1900's. Your question is similar to asking ' why can't we bring wear swastika's anymore? It been forever since WWII'. You wouldn't ask an foolish question like that now would you?
I think the bigger question is why would you feel the need to say the word?

exactly!

The word has negative connotations and racism still exists. DUH!
Reply 71
the social taboo over the word ****** disgusts me...
Why would you ever need to say it? :s-smilie:
Reply 73
Words aren't racist. Intent is racist. You can be incredibly racist without using any 'banned' phrases.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZCS5I80X-8
Reply 74
only black people can say it
x y z
No it isn't ok. Either anyone can use the word or no one can. I'm mixed race and I'm absolutely sick of the way black people segregate themselves.

No, not as in my opinion, I don't think it's ok. I meant for them it is..
Reply 77
...when asking for the re-up?
I get you OP, i personally hate it when black people use that word tbh ¬_¬
Reply 79
Only when your black yourself.

Latest

Trending

Trending