The Student Room Group
Reply 1
worst geography exam ever! the questions were terrible!
Reply 2
can anyone remember what was the 15 mark question on population?
Reply 3
...I didnt think it was that bad, thought it would've been much worse. Absolutely loved the 15 marker rivers and floods question! Hated all the coast questions apart from the first one about constructive waves, and the question about trade or something for energy, urgh! And yeah the DTM one, i think i got that wrong too :frown:
Reply 4
edf3456

It was something about the issue with population and resources, i think.. i cant really remember.. haha
it was to do with the balance between pop and resources, i did the uk and uganda - ageing/youthful population
overall i thought it was pretty good but the ordanance survey at the beginning threw me abit :s still
i wouldn't worry too much, because for the jan 2010 exams you only needed 60 out of 120 to get an A!! Honest, it's on the aqa website, grade boundaries :smile:
Reply 6
edf3456

Rivers, Floods and Management
OS map extract of Dentdale, N. Yorks.

Describe the long profile of the River Dee from one of its sources at to the bridge in Dent at . (4)
Contrast the cross profile of the valley occupied by the river at with that at . (4)
Explain why a river valley changes in its cross profile downstream. (7)
Compare and comment on the economic and social effects of flooding in two contrasting areas of the world. (15)

Cold Environments
Define the term 'periglacial'. (2)
Outline the process of frost shattering. (3)
Explain the annual changes in the active layer above the permafrost. (4)
Describe the patterned ground shown in Fig 3 and explain its formation. (6)
Discuss how a balance may be found between protection and development in Antarctica. (15)

Coastal Environments

Describe the characteristics of the waves shown in Fig 3. (2)
Outline the effects of constructive waves such as those shown in Fig 3. (3)
Explain the role of sub-aerial weathering in coastal environments. (4)
Explain the formation of headlands and bays. (4)
Discuss issues relating to a coastal area where soft engineering management strategies have been adopted. (15)

Hot desert environments and their margins
Distinguish between arid and semi-arid areas. (2)
Describe the characteristics of the vegetation shown in Fig 4. (3)
Explain how vegetation of arid areas is adapted to the climate. (4)
Describe and explain the different sources of water in hot desert environments. (6)
Assess the sustainability of different strategies used to manage land use, including agriculture in contrasting arid areas of the world. (15)

Population Change
Complete Fig 5 (partially completed DTM diagram) by adding appropriate labels to the diagram. (4)
To what extent does Malaysia fit the DTM for the time period shown in Fig 6 (a table with BR, DR and total population for Malaysia from 1960 - 2007)? (6)
Describe how the population structure of a country in stage 2 of the DTM is different from that of a country in stage 4. (5)
Comment on the impact of different population structures on the balance between population and resources. (15)

Food supply issues
What is meant by the geopolitics of food? (4)
Outline the characteristics of an extensive livestock farming system. (5)
Using Fig 7 (extract from a geog publication about coffee production) and your own knowledge, explain the problems for growers of switching to cash crop production. (6)
Describe two contrasting approaches to managing food supply and demand. (15)

Energy Issues
Distinguish between primary and secondary energy. (4)
Desribe and suggest reasons for the changes shown in Fig 8 (graph of "energy mix for electricity production in the UK from 1990 to 2004). (6)
For one non-renewable source of energy, summarise features of world trade in the commodity. (5)
Discuss advantages and disadvantages of two contrasting approaches to managing energy. (15)

Health issues
Distinguish between morbidity and mortality. (4)
For one 'disease of affluence' summarise features of its global distribution. (5)
Using Fig 9 (extract from the website of a tobacco TNC) and your own knowledge, comment on the role which the transnational tobacco corporations play in influencing world health. (6)
With reference to a local case study, assess the relative importance of age, gender and wealth for the provision of health care. (15)
Reply 7
hmmm i wrote about malthus and boserup for 15marker on population
Reply 8
Telford
hmmm i wrote about malthus and boserup for 15marker on population

Ahh should of done that, nice one Telford.
Reply 9
what did people put for soft management for coasts? I could only think of Beach norishment and vegetaion
Reply 10
Beave
Ahh should of done that, nice one Telford.

I did malthus/simon/clubofrome/mentioned boserup and gave case studies to support it, but I didn't speak about population structure :/

Latest

Trending

Trending