Student Finance- Independent student Watch

Nasher and Basher
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hi,

This may sound really stupid, but if I apply for Student finance as a independent student, not dependent on my parents using my own income- can I still get the maintenance grant ??

Thanks
hypocriticaljap
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
you satisfy their definition of independent presumably?
Ie away from home for 3 years or over 25.
Nasher and Basher
Rep:
?
(Original post by hypocriticaljap)
you satisfy their definition of independent presumably?
Ie away from home for 3 years or over 25.
Neither of those, but I have been self supporting myself whilst living at home with parents.
hypocriticaljap
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
SFE won't buy that I'm afraid.
Jonpickles
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
SFE won't buy that I'm afraid.
Why wont they "buy" that, I've been self supporting for the last 4 Years, and I still live with my parents, I pay rent and all my own bills and for all my own food, so how on earth am i not supporting myself?
hypocriticaljap
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
you'll have to get in touch
here's their criteria for 'independence'
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Educatio...rted/DG_171579

If you are claiming to be an independent student
because you have supported yourself for three
years or more, you must provide evidence to show
how you have supported yourself.
Jonpickles
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
you'll have to get in touch
here's their criteria for 'independence'
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Educatio...rted/DG_171579
Well i've put my application in, and sent of my P60's and evidence of my income for the past 3 years as requested so hopefully will get the good news soon.
hypocriticaljap
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Jonpickles)
Well i've put my application in, and sent of my P60's and evidence of my income for the past 3 years as requested so hopefully will get the good news soon.
none of which is evidence of self support though.
Jonpickles
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

So I guess it means I'll have to give them copys of recipts for food i bought from super markets copys of payments i made to parents for rent and bills? and all other sorts of stuff?
Taiko
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Just been alerted to this. You can be under 25, living with parents and still be independent. We'd heard rumours of it being declined, but having knowledge of a test case done, it was proven they weren't, no questions asked.
Grotbag
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Taiko)
Just been alerted to this. You can be under 25, living with parents and still be independent. We'd heard rumours of it being declined, but having knowledge of a test case done, it was proven they weren't, no questions asked.
This is how I understand it too.

Although when I enquired as to how they determine what is considered 'self-supporting' there was a level of income that would be required to prove that you were independent although they didn't put a figure on it.
DarkWhite
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I know of 2 people who claimed to be living independently whilst living with their parents, because they were paying their own bills, transport, fuel, food and so forth. I know one of which didn't provide any evidence of this.

Really, you seem quite uptight about this student finance stuff.
Nasher and Basher
Rep:
?
(Original post by Grotbag)
This is how I understand it too.

Although when I enquired as to how they determine what is considered 'self-supporting' there was a level of income that would be required to prove that you were independent although they didn't put a figure on it.
Do you know what the level of income is ??
PatmaCrotch
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Taiko)
I turn 25 in my second year so in my 3rd year will I be assessed as indipendent?
Grotbag
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by PatmaCrotch)
I turn 25 in my second year so in my 3rd year will I be assessed as indipendent?
No, you must be 25 before the start of the course.

Do you know what the level of income is ??
I don't I'm afraid.
heidigirl
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Grotbag)
No, you must be 25 before the start of the course.
Got a link?

The student finance website says you have to be 25 before the start of the academic year (without specifying the first year of the course as it does for students claiming to be independent by self-supporting).

It then continues to ask you if you 'are or will be 25 by the start of the academic year' (pretty much in those exact words) in the 'continuing students' forms (i.e. when you're applying for 2nd/3rd year finance) and if you tick 'yes' it says 'you're an independent student'.

It does not say 'were you twenty five when your course started', it only asks about the singular academic year you are applying for. :yep:

(Original post by PatmaCrotch)
One or two people have asked this lately (including me-I will turn 25 in my third year and am on a 4 year course) and no one seems to know 100%, but based on what I've said above about the continuing student forms, it seems like the answer is yes, if you turn 25 half way through a course then you are classed as independent for the next academic year.
Grotbag
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by heidigirl)
Got a link?
That's what the advisor told me when I rang to enquire about the same thing last year. If it's not correct, then fair enough.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Performance Design and Practice Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?