Politics and Economics - no further maths? Watch

Smiz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hello

I have recently been considering doing an economics and politics joint degree, but i have no further maths a level, just normal maths, but am on track for an A. What are my chances at top unis? Would taking further maths as an extra AS next year be a good choice?
MagicNMedicine
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It would help yes, it will also strengthen the Maths you've already done which will help you when you get to uni. I don't think it's going to be a deal breaker but it will help if you are looking at LSE or Oxford.

Might be a good idea to put Essex down as one of your choices, lowish application numbers keep it quite easy to get an offer if you are a good A level student but it has a fantastic school of Government and one of the top Economics departments as well, so is always a good back up for that type of course.
goian123434
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Not really going to matter, you wont be doing much maths anyway. If you do politics with economics you probably wont do any and if you do economics and politics you will do some but nowhere as much as if you did a full economics degree.
yoyo462001
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Wont matter at all, you wont be doing many maths modules at all, and anyways they teach you from scratch.
Bakeyy
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It will help you on a personal level if you plan to take some of the more rigorous economics modules and it'll assure them you're ready for that side of the course, but I think A in maths at AS and A2 is proof enough, for a joint degree.
drive like june
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I would take further maths if you want to take it, but not for the sake of getting in uni. Normal maths is sufficient.
Bax-man
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I've received offers from both Birmingham and Newcastle without Further Maths. Indeed, I will only have AS Mathematics by the time I begin study.
.ACS.
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
No university will care if it's for Joint Honours Economics and Politics, the reason being the economic units you take will not be very quantitative at all. Additionally, it's unlikely you'll cover any econometrics on the course.
theCORN
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
As an Economics and Politics 3rd year student I can say that you will encounter econometrics and advanced statistics (especially if you choose to) BUT that you definitely won't need further maths. If you have normal maths you'll be absolutely fine. You'll even be fine if you had no maths since GCSE providing you can still understand the logic and so on.

You can answer questions in a quantitative or non-quantitative way. For instance my politics dissertation was probably the most mathematical essay I've done over the time. The difference when you get to Uni is that there are many 'right' answers, rather than just ticking boxes at A level.

However, if you're asking it on the basis of whether you'll get in or not then I'm not authority but I'd be amazed if it's a requirement anywhere. A good personal statement will be the decider.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (867)
80.06%
Leave (216)
19.94%

Watched Threads