pints of milk
    etc ...

so, why?
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    For the lulz?

ReputationRep:
    It just seems easier for me to visualise since I was never taught the metric system in school.

ReputationRep:
    what about time!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I wish the car economy figures are in metric. makes it easier to work out how much ive used.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greatmonte)
    what about time!!!!!!!!!!
    Time my friend is something as you know, doesn't work with a base 10 system.

you can use seconds which is a SI unit, but how many people would be comfortable in using ~86400 seconds to describe a day?

ReputationRep:
    Because historically we've had imperial?

ReputationRep:
    We kept imperial to help the older generation as they didn't like the metric system and so for a lot of people we were taught in imperial when we were children and then at school learnt metric
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Adonis)
    for example, a lot of people still give weights in stones
    heights in feet/inches
    pints of milk
    etc ...

so, why?
    Because most people were traditionally brought up with the Imperial system, and in the context of everyday usage, Imperial works fine.

ReputationRep:
    Just get rid of them, theyre obselete.
    Can you imagine trying to work out the kinetic energy of an object using stones and ounces?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshTerminator)
    It just seems easier for me to visualise since I was never taught the metric system in school.
    So why does it make more sense to me to use imperial for some things when I was only taught metric at school?:p:

It's kind of strange. For some things I think in metric, for others imperial. Doesn't just depend on what quantity I'm measuring, it depends on the actual thing I'm measuring. For example when I think about a person's height I think in feet and inches. If I think about the size of a room, I think in metres. Long distances, I think in miles. Small measurements I think in centimetres. Penis size I think in inches.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    So why does it make more sense to me to use imperial for some things when I was only taught metric at school?:p:

It's kind of strange. For some things I think in metric, for others imperial. Doesn't just depend on what quantity I'm measuring, it depends on the actual thing I'm measuring. For example when I think about a person's height I think in feet and inches. If I think about the size of a room, I think in metres. Long distances, I think in miles. Small measurements I think in centimetres. Penis size I think in inches.
    Because I'm bigger than you! (possibly)

Does anyone know when schools switched to teaching metric? I'm only 18 so the second year of 6th form and like I say, I've never been taught metric.

ReputationRep:
    I like using imperial, it makes me feel old.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshTerminator)
    Because I'm bigger than you! (possibly)

Does anyone know when schools switched to teaching metric? I'm only 18 so the second year of 6th form and like I say, I've never been taught metric.
    Wales must be at least 5 years behind then:p: I'm 23.

You must not do any science subjects. Surely no science teacher in their right mind would teach in imperial?

ReputationRep:
    because it works.

ReputationRep:
    Because I don't want to ask the barman, "Yeah, can I get five hundred and sixty eight mills of Pale Rider please mate?"

ReputationRep:
    I find the Metric system much easier to use. Just guess it's what I'm used to.

I hate the way that we buy Petrol in litres, but efficiency is in Miles per Gallon. It takes so much effort to work out how many miles per litre. I prefer driving in miles though, it's like I know what a mile is more than a km.

Give it 20 ish years and it'll mostly be Metric. I've noticed the milk is increasingly being sold in litres over the past few years

ReputationRep:
    Because Imperial works, for me anyways. Imperial just seems to fit better around everyday life, and we were taught metric at school

ReputationRep:
    Old people

ReputationRep:
    I can't get my head around metric. You go to the shop for a pint of milk, not 568 mils.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.