Special Support Grant?! Watch

Disconfigured
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I've just checked student finance, and they have told me when I shall be receiving my money.
However, it says that I'll be having around 3k in 'Special Support Grant'.. something which I didn't realise I had applied for..
So I checked the tab about it, and it came up with the form I filled in, saying I did indeed say I wanted it, yet I answered no to all the questions in the 'are you eligible?' section of the form..

So, is it just their mistake that they've said I can have it.. based on the fact I asked for it yet I'm not eligible?
hypocriticaljap
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I reckon so!
Disconfigured
Rep:
?
(Original post by hypocriticaljap)
I reckon so!
So what do I do about it? Ring them up and ask them? I don't wanna spend a grant I'm not entitled to; couldn't afford the messup! I was hoping for 1700 each quarter, with the grant it's around 2300, without the grant it's 1300ish.
hypocriticaljap
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
go to direct gov and see if qualify for the special support grant as opposed to the maintenance grant. It is clear what the criteria are.
Disconfigured
Rep:
?
go to direct gov and see if qualify for the special support grant as opposed to the maintenance grant. It is clear what the criteria are.
Evidently I'm not eligible:

http://tinypic.com/r/2q05xt2/6
hypocriticaljap
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
so get in touch.
Disconfigured
Rep:
?
Oh it's okay!
Worked it out, the special support grant is my maintenance grant. (:
hypocriticaljap
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Disconfigured)
Oh it's okay!
Worked it out, the special support grant is my maintenance grant. (:
no it isn't.
If you get SSG your loan isn't reduced and it doesn't affect any other benefits you're entitled to.
If you get the maintenance grant your loan is reduced by 50p for every £1 of grant you receive and it can affect other benefits.

They are totally different things.

If they've said you're getting SSG you need to get it sorted out.
Disconfigured
Rep:
?
no it isn't.
If you get SSG your loan isn't reduced and it doesn't affect any other benefits you're entitled to.
If you get the maintenance grant your loan is reduced by 50p for every £1 of grant you receive and it can affect other benefits.

They are totally different things.

If they've said you're getting SSG you need to get it sorted out.
Well I checked direct gov, and it said what you're entitled to, money wise, based on general family income.
The amount of maintenance loan they say 25k income is allowed, is the same amount I'm apparently going to be getting from the SSG..
According to the student finance I'm getting SSG and the maintenance loan (and tuition).. so if the SSG isn't the maintenance grant, where is that?
hypocriticaljap
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
As I said you need to look at SSG on Directgov it is a very specifically targeted grant. It IS NOT the same as the Maintenance grant. If you are living at home with parents I guarantee you are not entitled to the SSG unless you meet very particular criteria.
sse here
http://www.studentfinance.direct.gov..._schema=PORTAL
Disconfigured
Rep:
?
As I said you need to look at SSG on Directgov it is a very specifically targeted grant. It IS NOT the same as the Maintenance grant. If you are living at home with parents I guarantee you are not entitled to the SSG unless you meet very particular criteria.
sse here
http://www.studentfinance.direct.gov..._schema=PORTAL
Uh huh..
Well I rang them up, the woman has no idea why they say I can have it. So she's going to get the people who do the applications to give me a ring within 6 days. Argh.

Also, if I'm not eligible for the SSG (which, I'm not) does this mean I can get the maintenance grant? At the moment they've just given me the maintenance loan and SSG.
Grotbag
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm having the opposite problem - I applied and am entitled to it but my application now says that I didn't want to be considered. :rolleyes:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1203)
79.56%
Leave (309)
20.44%

Watched Threads