Hurt Locker packs hurt on illegal filesharing Watch

micky022
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
http://gizmodo.com/5537281/hurt-lock...gainst-pirates

Angry man. Opinions? Hope this isn't in the UK too.
moneyballs2
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Private Torrent Tracker >> Seedbox >via FTP> My PC

I think I'm pretty safe, plus, my wifi will inconvieniently be set to unsecured should they come looking for me. "OH NOES! Those darn hax0rs!"

Not that I don't anything illegally, I'm part of private trackers sharing copyright free stuff...
IchiCC
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I predict a massive increase in people torrenting Hurt Locker.
v-zero
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by moneyballs2)
I think I'm pretty safe, plus, my wifi will inconvieniently be set to unsecured should they come looking for me. "OH NOES! Those darn hax0rs!"
Any downloads are still your responsibility, that is no protection from conviction.
maybesBABY
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Private Torrent Tracker
sorry what is a private torrent tracker?

seedbox
same question about seedbox too... i heard they protect your privacy but how?
jumpingjesusholycow
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'll do whatever the **** I want with my laptop.

And hollywood can go **** itself.

Simple as that really

moneyballs2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by maybesBABY)
sorry what is a private torrent tracker?

same question about seedbox too... i heard they protect your privacy but how?
Afraid you'll have to google it yourself, can't say here, they'll come for me (the mods)

If you do go into the route of private trackers and/or seedboxes, make sure you have read lots and lots of advice first. Don't buy private tracker invites EVER.
iainthegreat
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by G8D)
Meh, I'll get it from PtP when I get my own laptop and no one will trace me :ninja:

Bit random, but love the song in your sig, remind me to rep you tomorrow.
Sephiroth
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
People still use torrents for illegal downloads? I thought Rapidshare and such were the big thing these days. It's safer because you aren't sharing it, unless you were the one who hosted it originally. I believe you can only be prosecuted for sharing and not just for downloading. Unless the law has changed?
S-man10
Badges: 18
Report 8 years ago
Afraid you'll have to google it yourself, can't say here, they'll come for me (the mods)

If you do go into the route of private trackers and/or seedboxes, make sure you have read lots and lots of advice first. Don't buy private tracker invites EVER.

Just to make one thing clear.

You cant be traced if you are part of a private tracker?

Or would they even bother suing for people outside the US?
I HEART KFC!!!
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
i am in nz??? can they actually get me?? this sounds a bit too serious ... wait i remember... they wont ... since i was flatting at the time and moved out of that house last year ... LOOOOOOOOL..
member159703
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
This is why I use wbb and RS
Mad Vlad
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by v-zero)
Any downloads are still your responsibility, that is no protection from conviction.
Show me any piece of (in force) UK legislation that says this.

The Digital Economy Act 2010, I believe adds provisions to make this the case, but it's not yet in force, but there have been numerous occasions where completely innocent people have been served papers from shyster "legal" firms demanding money because they've supposedly downloaded intellectual property illegally, when in fact, their level of competence with a computer extends no further than turning it on and opening up their emails. Following investigation, these cases were dropped as there was no evidence of the infringement on their computer and that they had an unsecured wireless network.

In my opinion, it would be very difficult to bring about a case under existing legislation, where an internet subscriber had an unsecured, or a WEP secured wireless network, as there's no conclusive way to prove that they did it (unless of course it's on their computer).
micky022
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
From what I've heard, the Act reverses the rules of natural justice by presuming guilt- if you're accused, you have to prove you didn't do it.

Also, I've heard good things about something called PeerGuardian. Masks your IP or somesuch.
MrDoovde
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
REsPECT THE PRODUCER.
axhdn
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
private trackers win
axhdn
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
peer guardian 2 is about 5 years old and isnt updated, i wouldnt recommend it. ive got an auto-updating IP blacklist for utorrent but i cant remember where i got it
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
it won't matter in uk, they've never prosecuted anyone for piracy, the amazing country that we are
Psyk
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Mad Vlad)
In my opinion, it would be very difficult to bring about a case under existing legislation, where an internet subscriber had an unsecured, or a WEP secured wireless network, as there's no conclusive way to prove that they did it (unless of course it's on their computer).
Or they posted on a public Internet forum about their intentions to download it and claim ignorance. I'd say that would count as pretty good evidence.
Mad Vlad
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Just to clarify guys, I'm happy to keep this open for discussion about the news topic and the implications of filesharing, but please don't discuss methods as to how to fileshare and get away with it.

(Original post by Psyk)
Or they posted on a public Internet forum about their intentions to download it and claim ignorance. I'd say that would count as pretty good evidence.
Well quite :p:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (108)
19.78%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (222)
40.66%
Nope, not that interesting (216)
39.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise