Watch
This discussion is closed.
Infinity
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by curryADD)
you shouldnt be smoking if your pregnant infinity.......your baby could be deformed
LOL, could we let eric's pregnant joke die now, before people start beleiving I am pregnant.
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Infinity)
LOL, could we let eric's pregnant joke die now, before people start beleiving I am pregnant.
You're pregnant? wow, congratulations, boy or girl? got any names picked out yet )))
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by caz)
as if i would honestly praise a death every eight seconds...then again the world is overpopulated...but, no
caz: you've got some style when you want it lol
caz
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by foolfarian)
I know this is a wind up post, but I can't help but laugh at the arrogance that you think smoking came from Americans. Of course tobacco existed in north america, but lets face it native americans were about as backwards as you could get. It was the far more advanced South Americans who realised it's potential. They chewed it (as with coca leaves) used the extracted juices for...enemas, and then later smoked it too. First recorded smoking was from the mayan civilisation. Think that's mexico region isn't it?
Its quite a funny tale really, because the native americans then of picked up on it, and gave it to columbus when he arrived. He thought it was junk so threw it away. The first European smoker was some spaniard called Torres. When he came back to spain smoking the villagers thought he was the devil and ran away. He was imprisoned by the spanish inquisitors for near on a decade, and by the time he was released smoking had taken off.
J
i thought i said nicotine?
xAngelx
Report 16 years ago
if smoking is a bad thing ban it

they should free da weed though now that'll be good hahaha
caz
Rep:
?
(Original post by xAngelx)
if smoking is a bad thing ban it

they should free da weed though now that'll be good hahaha
ban smoking? you go to hell !
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 16 years ago
Excuse me, backwards? The native people follow their own set of traditions, which are beleived to have come from the great spirit. These traditions did not come about because some other culture was doing this. It is ridiculous for you to even state such an idea as the native people were smoking tobbacco and other substances long before any settlers set foot on this continent.
Besides I don't think caz meant for this thread to be taken so litterally!
What are you talking about!?! Why is it ridiculous to STATE that the native americans were smoking before any settlers arrived.
And as for this quote, "These traditions did not come about because some other culture was doing this." You may well think that the great spirit said upon all native americans (simultaneously of course) "smoking is really fun and, like, spirtual" but it doesnt wash with me. Every tradition has an origin, and the apparent origin of tobacco chewing and smoking is South America. Through trade of goods and ideas it would then have spread.
J
Jamie
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by caz)
i thought i said nicotine?
You probably did, i dont know why yousay this...(i only mentioned coca leaves because they are chewed like tobacco leaves were once)
J
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by caz)
ban smoking? you go to hell !
Quite right. Smoking is better than most people think. The taxes imposed by Governments on the bloody things generates an extremely large amount of revenue.
Mr Brightside
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Immediately when i read Caz's post it struck me as totally sarcastic (ish) and meant in no way to be taken so literally. I laughed when I seen the immediate outrage by a few.lol. aw well.

Totally true Sire. If people want to smoke and kill themselves thats fine, in the meantime we'll take their cash and perhaps use it to improve the country.
caz
Rep:
?
(Original post by Woodsy)
Immediately when i read Caz's post it struck me as totally sarcastic (ish) and meant in no way to be taken so literally. I laughed when I seen the immediate outrage by a few.lol. aw well.

Totally true Sire. If people want to smoke and kill themselves thats fine, in the meantime we'll take their cash and perhaps use it to improve the country.
lol so there is sanity out there
caz
Rep:
?
You probably did, i dont know why yousay this...(i only mentioned coca leaves because they are chewed like tobacco leaves were once)
J
Hm...oh, I don't know...perhaps because of this you idiot:

I know this is a wind up post, but I can't help but laugh at the arrogance that you think smoking came from Americans
Yay! Don't try to act innocent
caz
Rep:
?
What are you talking about!?! Why is it ridiculous to STATE that the native americans were smoking before any settlers arrived.
And as for this quote, "These traditions did not come about because some other culture was doing this." You may well think that the great spirit said upon all native americans (simultaneously of course) "smoking is really fun and, like, spirtual" but it doesnt wash with me. Every tradition has an origin, and the apparent origin of tobacco chewing and smoking is South America. Through trade of goods and ideas it would then have spread.
J
You really don't understand English. She made a very good point, and Sout America is American isn't it? Not that I said Americans invented smoking tobacco, but you at one point said they did not, and now you are saying they did, without admitting you were wrong.
Infinity
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
J
I think you completely missed my point there. (and misinterpreted aswell)
What I got from your original post was that you are saying the native people only started smoking because they saw someone else doing so, Which is not the case. That and your comment about them being backwards, which is what set me off in the first place as I found that quite offensive. Of course every tradition has it's own origin, but these traditions take on various forms, while still remaining simular they each have they're own origins. Unless you have an extensive knowledge of the ways of the native american people or grew up with they're traditions, don't make assumptions on how a tradition began.
Jamie
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by caz)
You really don't understand English. She made a very good point, and Sout America is American isn't it? Not that I said Americans invented smoking tobacco, but you at one point said they did not, and now you are saying they did, without admitting you were wrong.
O don't be a **** your whole life. EVERYONE knows that use of the word "Americans" relates to persons from the USA. Whoever looked at a Brazilian or Peurto Rican and said - look at the American.
So yeh, if you want to be perdantic, SOUTH Americans invented it. That is people not from the USA or the lands which the USA now encompasses.
It's no wonder I've been getting confused, I didn't realise just what a pedantic gimp you were being.
I'm not wrong. Suoth Americans ie The Incas (from Andes) and the Mayans (actually more from Central American regions) and perhaps even the Aztecs. These were the civilisations first recorded as having used tobacco.

As for infinity, I apologise for being quite disrespectful w.r.t native americans. However, one can only go with the bulk of evidence, which all suggests it developed in South American. I've read it a load of times before, but I can't find a webpage with it on.
It is an interesting Arch and Anth enigma though. Why did the Chinese, Japanese and Europeans all develop...but North Americans and Africans did not.
J
Infinity
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
As for infinity, I apologise for being quite disrespectful w.r.t native americans. However, one can only go with the bulk of evidence, which all suggests it developed in South American. I've read it a load of times before, but I can't find a webpage with it on.
It is an interesting Arch and Anth enigma though. Why did the Chinese, Japanese and Europeans all develop...but North Americans and Africans did not.
J
Apology accepted.
I think we are arguing different points, whereas the south american people may have been the ones to set it off as a recreational habit, I was refering to the traditional ways of my people where ceremonial smoking has been around as long as the people themselves. Beleive me this is not something they picked up from watching someone else, nor am I saying they can take credit for starting the trend as these ceremonies took place behind 'closed doors' if you will, as they were considered at one time sacred ceremonies.

Call me a 'backwards injun' if you must, but I'm not clear on your point with that last comment.
Jamie
Report 16 years ago
Apology accepted.
I think we are arguing different points, whereas the south american people may have been the ones to set it off as a recreational habit, I was refering to the traditional ways of my people where ceremonial smoking has been around as long as the people themselves. Beleive me this is not something they picked up from watching someone else, nor am I saying they can take credit for starting the trend as these ceremonies took place behind 'closed doors' if you will, as they were considered at one time sacred ceremonies.

Call me a 'backwards injun' if you must, but I'm not clear on your point with that last comment.
For some reason I've only just remembered the whole peace pipe tradition. And to think the amount of westerns my grandad made me watch...

My point was that the indians and africans made no decent technological discoveries, whereas the europeans, chinese, middle easterns etc did.
What drove discovery in one society, but was lacking in the other?
J
ps I dont actually have an answer to that last question
Infinity
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
For some reason I've only just remembered the whole peace pipe tradition. And to think the amount of westerns my grandad made me watch...

My point was that the indians and africans made no decent technological discoveries, whereas the europeans, chinese, middle easterns etc did.
What drove discovery in one society, but was lacking in the other?
J
ps I dont actually have an answer to that last question
Yes the glorified peace pipe, didn't you ever wonder what they were really smoking in them?

Well as far as my people go, your correct that they never made any technological discoveries, however that doesn't mean they weren't capable. You have to understand that most feel that such technological advances will be the downfall of civilisation. My uncle won't even look at a computer he just walks off muttering about them being 'bad medicine'.
And here I am the 'black sheep' going to school for web design and graphic arts.
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by caz)
The cigarette, containing nicotine (a plant first smoked regularly by Native Americans) has been witnessed an addiction and beautiful bar of lust and luxary in many, many cultures world-wide.

Once believed to be safe and sexy, now is believed to be sexy and deadly, and truly a sign of coolness. If you don't smoke you are a loser.

The cigarette has made many friends over the years. I'd have to say tobacco, nicotine, cyanide, and the lusty lip-locker cotton are probably one of not just mine, but everyone's friend. What else lets you watch your breathe ooze into a lusterous oblivion like the intercourse of you and a stick of paper? What else takes the virginity of 90,000 children every day like a lung first tasting its breath of finely tuned white clouds?

I, for one, want to stand up and take a bow for this magnificent blessing we Americans have bestowed upon the world, with our beautiful nicotine. So then, stand up all you smokers and smoker-wannabes, and hold a V for victory, count to eight seconds, and bid farewell to one of your own! God bless nicotine, and god bless America!
If you honestly think that, then good luck to you.

Free speech - no matter how idiotic - must be allowed.

Just dont smoke near me.
El_Borish
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
unfortunately, caz is right about one hting, smoking DOES make you look cool, despite everyone saying it doesn't. i dont smoke much myself (too expensive), and hate kissing smokers (eugh), but it can look great - just look at film noir stuff - sexy as hell!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (89)
21.76%
No (320)
78.24%

Watched Threads