Edexcel Mark Scheme BS Watch

nitez
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Why dont we get full marks for getting the answer correct?
TheEd
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by nitez)
Why dont we get full marks for getting the answer correct?
You may have used an incorrect method to get there
nitez
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by TheEd)
Does it matter? As long as I got the answer...
TheEd
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by nitez)
Does it matter? As long as I got the answer...
Yes because you are being tested on your ability to use a correct method!
puma21
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Because you don't agree with it? :curious:
LJbrowning
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by TheEd)
I would suggest its more 'pro student' than you suggest.

Method marks are given as many students make arithmetic errors when doing 3,4,5 mark questions for example.

At the end of the day how hard is it to write down your workings in GCSE exams. The questions are not taxing.

Now lets flip this.

You have a 6 mark trig questions and do it all right yet have your calculator in radians mode. All working, method and aswers in the build up are correct yet your final answer is wring.

Do you want 5 marks for your efforts or do you just want the examiner to say 0/6 "wrong answer"

You are told to 'state' in some questions which means just write your answer, others require more.

Generally A,B and M marks are given to help students, not hinder them. So those who moan, leave your answer and just hope you get them all right...I know I certainly wouldnt regardless of level
matt2k8
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
If it's not a "show that" question, and you didn't get the right answer with the wrong method somehow you WILL get all the marks.
TheEd
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by LJbrowning)
I would suggest its more 'pro student' than you suggest.

Method marks are given as many students make arithmetic errors when doing 3,4,5 mark questions for example.

At the end of the day how hard is it to write down your workings in GCSE exams. The questions are not taxing.

Now lets flip this.

You have a 6 mark trig questions and do it all right yet have your calculator in radians mode. All working, method and aswers in the build up are correct yet your final answer is wring.

Do you want 5 marks for your efforts or do you just want the examiner to say 0/6 "wrong answer"

You are told to 'state' in some questions which means just write your answer, others require more.

Generally A,B and M marks are given to help students, not hinder them. So those who moan, leave your answer and just hope you get them all right...I know I certainly wouldnt regardless of level
Oh absolutely it's better for the student and you should always leave a clear indication of how you arrived at an answer unless you're answering 'state that' or 'write down' types of questions.
LJbrowning
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by TheEd)
Oh absolutely it's better for the student and you should always leave a clear indication of how you arrived at an answer unless you're answering 'state that' or 'write down' types of questions.
I think the OP was talking about all questions (I think)

I chuckle when these "don't need to write answers" folk start on A level maths :yep: even as easy as topics like the trap rule in C2
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1234)
79.61%
Leave (316)
20.39%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed