Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi i had my assessment done in March and one of the recommendations was that i have a computer. The assessor said that he could only ask for a desk top as i don't do placements on my course. He said that i would be able to get an upgrade to an laptop if i wanted to, i would need to pay the extra.

I would pefer to get a laptop as i don't really have any where to put a desktop. I recieved a telephone call from the company who will be supplying the equipment and i metioned to them that i would like to upgrade to a laptop, they said they would need to speak to his collegue who would email me. I finally got an email last week from the supplier and they said that they need to get permission from the assessor and from student finance. Is this normal as i will be paying for the upgrade.

Also this is what the spec of the desktop was going to be. The desk top was quoted by the supplier as been £400.00 with out vat

Desktop PC. CE approved case,
    Intel Dual Core 2.0Ghz CPU,
    2Gb RAM,
    250Gb Hard Disk Drive,
    22 x DVD-RW ,
    Gigabit LAN and Wireless LAN,
    19" TFT Monitor,
    Keyboard & Mouse,
    Speakers,
    Microsoft Windows 7 OEM.

The supplier is saying that to upgrade to a laptop would cost £98.00. I had to ask them for the spec details. They said that the brand is usually compaq or IBM

The spec is
    Intel Dual Core 2.0GHz,
    2GB RAM,
    160GB Hard Drive,
    DVD-RW Optical Drive,
    15.4" TFT Screen,
    Microsoft Windows 7 OEM.

Is this a normal price you would pay to upgrade, as that would then be making the laptop about £500.00 and when i looked on sites like pc world, you could get a much better laptop for about fifty pounds cheaper. It seems that the laptops with that spec were around £350 to £400.

Can anyone help with this please.

ReputationRep:
    No
    PC world back up is crap.
    Stop trying to bite the hand that feeds you.
    You get what you're given. End of.

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou for your help. Im going to email them back and do the upgrade. I do appricate the help that i am recieving. I never expected to recieve anything.

ReputationRep:
    What you're due to pay sounds like quite a bit, tbh. I paid £90 for an upgrade for a 17" laptop. However, I'm sure my desktop had a slightly different spec.

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.