Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Post exam discussion......
Andrea03
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Went really well i thought, easy questions in Section A and section B was a treat!
sluginajug
Report 8 years ago
phillipines question threw me... came up last January I think, didn't think it would come again :/
merton81
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
hey any one do cold environments? what was the answer to that 4 marker on seasonal variations?
Thanks....
kebabmonk
Report 8 years ago
i thought it also went ok.... I did Q7 on section B (hazard one)

I initially did not want to do this type of Q as my teacher said they are quite hard to get full marks on but i thought it was the best question so i had no choice really. 1 question that did throw me was "what is the difference between a natural hazard and a natural disaster?". I just could not think

Oh well.....
Andrea03
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by kebabmonk)
i thought it also went ok.... I did Q7 on section B (hazard one)

I initially did not want to do this type of Q as my teacher said they are quite hard to get full marks on but i thought it was the best question so i had no choice really. 1 question that did throw me was "what is the difference between a natural hazard and a natural disaster?". I just could not think

Oh well.....
For that one i put: A natural hazard is a perceived event which has the potential to threaten life. However a natural disaster normally involves extreme geological and hydro-meteorological processes coupled with high vulnerability which pose a great risk to life and goods.
Farhan.Hanif93
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Andrea03)
For that one i put: A natural hazard is a perceived event which has the potential to threaten life. However a natural disaster normally involves extreme geological and hydro-meteorological processes coupled with high vulnerability which pose a great risk to life and goods.
This is exactly what I said
The paper was generally easy, will be gutted to get less than 93%ish
Andrea03
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Farhan.Hanif93)
This is exactly what I said
The paper was generally easy, will be gutted to get less than 93%ish
Ha ye wicked man, overall i was chuffed lots of revision payed off, whizzed through them. I did question 10 first as my teacher recommended to.
Sad3k
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Thought it went really well, as usual i lost marks on the 15marker due to insufficient time. But yeah everything went so smooth. Everything I had revised had come up. only question which troubled me at first was the difference between natural hazard/disaster and the human/physical geography aspects for parts like Bangladesh, India and Malaysia.
However I loved the 5/4 markers at the end they were so challenging yet i can evaluate and talk so much. I kept going over the space they provided by 2/3 lines.

I did question 8 on Section B as i remember doign a 4marker question ona previous paper of the advtanges of melting in the Artic and just linked it to Greenland, I remember writing down like 8 advantages and I used each one with an explanaition. I should be getting an A in this paper. I would love 92% so I can get an A overall. but a B is fine for me.
Farhan.Hanif93
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Ha ye wicked man, overall i was chuffed lots of revision payed off, whizzed through them. I did question 10 first as my teacher recommended to.
I spent three or four minutes on decided what question to choose in Section B :p: I was torn between 7 and 8 (not much interest in human geog.)
I was sooo lazy in revising for this, it only really kicked off about 4-5 days ago :p: how did everyone revise for it?
Andrea03
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Sad3k)
Thought it went really well, as usual i lost marks on the 15marker due to insufficient time. But yeah everything went so smooth. Everything I had revised had come up. only question which troubled me at first was the difference between natural hazard/disaster and the human/physical geography aspects for parts like Bangladesh, India and Malaysia.
However I loved the 5/4 markers at the end they were so challenging yet i can evaluate and talk so much. I kept going over the space they provided by 2/3 lines.

I did question 8 on Section B as i remember doign a 4marker question ona previous paper of the advtanges of melting in the Artic and just linked it to Greenland, I remember writing down like 8 advantages and I used each one with an explanaition. I should be getting an A in this paper. I would love 92% so I can get an A overall. but a B is fine for me.
Are you doing unit 2 aswell? So if you get 92% in this what do you have to get in the other
Sad3k
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

Was that the Population of Uk question? I was planning to go for that, but felt a bit worried so went for Arctic even though I hated the Arctic case study. And yes everythign I revised came up. Shocked not to see anything about Opec/OECD members even though you could link china to the NIC in a question they asked. And nothing about long/medium term climate change.
Sad3k
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Are you doing unit 2 aswell? So if you get 92% in this what do you have to get in the other

I did unit 2 in January and scored 68% hence i left a 10 marker out due to insufficient time. All I need is a C at AS for university, but a B or an A would be better. I guess it feels better when you know you've done better than what you needed.
Sad3k
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Farhan.Hanif93)
I spent three or four minutes on decided what question to choose in Section B :p: I was torn between 7 and 8 (not much interest in human geog.)
I was sooo lazy in revising for this, it only really kicked off about 4-5 days ago :p: how did everyone revise for it?

We had powerpoints from each topics well 13 altogether and they came from the board. So I went through each at least 3 times then took out ones I thought were most important that I hardly knew. So I just read over them like 30 times in total there were 22 slides from the 150 I had. Erm then I went through specimen paper, Jan 09, May 09, Jan 10, and just answered questions studied the answers inside out. I did model essays for 20 certain things that can come up. Read those. Made about 40 Case studies to memorise, and I read all of them. I brought the CGP revision guide and made so much notes to read from. I think on thursday there was a point where I just gave up revising because I never knew what else to read.
Andrea03
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I just read through the large ed-excel sue warn book, found it really useful! The grade boundaries seem low for this module 63/90 for an A
Sad3k
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I just read through the large ed-excel sue warn book, found it really useful! The grade boundaries seem low for this module 63/90 for an A
63/90? where did u find that?
Farhan.Hanif93
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Sad3k)
63/90? where did u find that?
My teacher gave the exact same figure so I assume it's true. Really low around 70% for an A
kebabmonk
Report 8 years ago
yeah that is right.... i have worked out grade boundaries since it started in jan 09 and A (average)= 72%, B= 66%, C=60%.

I dont understand why they are so low... i got 90% in the jan 09 paper (as our mock). Strange......
merton81
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Wait which paper are we talking about here?! This is Unit 1 out of 120 right??!!!
taxatoon
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
What did people put for the last four mark question? It was something along the lines of why can some countries be more sustainable than others..?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Performance Design and Practice Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?