This discussion is closed.
SasunD
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Just to point out, maybe someone has already done so, but the "Official Who Are You Thread" is not such a goo idea, because it has personally identifiable information from anyone who has posted with their real name and surname. With this information someone can actually find out your real phone number as enough info is given.

But in the end it is your right to post if you want...
curryADD
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by SasunD)
Just to point out, maybe someone has already done so, but the "Official Who Are You Thread" is not such a goo idea, because it has personally identifiable information from anyone who has posted with their real name and surname. With this information someone can actually find out your real phone number as enough info is given.

hmmm good point.....
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

if they really wanted to know they would have looked it up in the electoral register anyways.
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
if they really wanted to know they would have looked it up in the electoral register anyways.
*and there's me forgetting that half the people on here are too young to vote*
SasunD
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
if you go onto BT.com you can put in a persons name and surname, and armed with the information about the person location, you can easily find out who they are. Thats is why it is advisable to never give out your real name and address and stuff like that to anything, because it can all be tracked.

The internet is not such a safe place anymore.....
Sire
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
if you go onto BT.com you can put in a persons name and surname, and armed with the information about the person location, you can easily find out who they are. Thats is why it is advisable to never give out your real name and address and stuff like that to anything, because it can all be tracked.

The internet is not such a safe place anymore.....
The internet never was a safe place. And here is me with the arrogance of having my firewall turned off lol. Then again I'm running with only 3 ports open and a router on traffic coming through them lol.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Stick my name into google and the only person that is me that it finds is this
http://www.universityoptions.co.uk/p...t.asp?idno=193
And I did that voluntarily a year or so ago.

I've always been quite paranoid about giving out personal details - until I realised that the only reason to worry is if you are not being yourself.
MattG
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
hmm point taken, the chances are very slim.

a google search for my name resulted in this:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Mat...-8&hl=en&meta=

uklearning profile being 8th, my cousin is also mentioned on a page about 6 pages down lol.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (59)
13.41%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (57)
12.95%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (168)
38.18%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (46)
10.45%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (87)
19.77%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (23)
5.23%

Watched Threads