Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I saw this disgusting video.

Seriously, if you don't like gore or cruelty to animals then don't watch this. I don't know how widespread this is, but I have never seen anything like this in my life before.

http://www.peta.org/feat/chinesefurfarms/index.asp

I hate the fact that I need these kind of images in my face before I start to think about an issue like this though.

ReputationRep:
    Has this affected anyone else in a similar way?

ReputationRep:
    Theres loads of things out there, but peta will take the most extreme stuff they can find and claim its happening all over the world when its one small business in a third world country.

ReputationRep:
    The truth is that there are too many issues for humans to worry about. I could show you pictures of some obscure species of animal suffering, and you would feel guilty about not previously knowing about the plight of said species. Take on and engage with issues closest to heart, but don't feel guilty about remote things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StudentLingerie)
    Theres loads of things out there, but peta will take the most extreme stuff they can find and claim its happening all over the world when its one small business in a third world country.
    Cruel fur farming practises in east Asia is hardly one small business in a third world country. It's done on an industrial scale in China and Vietnam. It's not just Peta who have exposed it, the WWF, Born Free, and WSPA, have all gone to great efforts to expose it and then tackle it at an international level.

But alas it's easier on ones conscience to deny the problem exists.

ReputationRep:
    PETA are mental. They kill so many animals.

http://www.petakillsanimals.com/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Janjanjan)
    PETA are mental. They kill so many animals.

http://www.petakillsanimals.com/
    Peta kills animals is a junk site produced by the American Centre for Consumer Freedom, which is a pressure group for companies such as Philip Morris Tobacco, KFC, McDonalds, the fur industry, etc.

It's a lunatic organisation which in the past has tried to slander everyone from doctors and researchers at the Harvard School of Public Health to the charity organisation Mothers Against Drunk Driving. It basically targets anyone who publishes information contrary to what it's funders want in the public eye.

The CCF was initially set up with a $600,000 grant from Philip Morris tobacco with money later chipped in from other organisations and companies with reputations to protect. The CCF is essentially nothing more than a PR firm.

Do your research before posting junk links.

Anyway Peta has never claimed it was a rescue and re-homing charity it does not have the facilities for that, it's a pressure group which aims to expose and lobby for changes in the law not an organisation designed to take in strays. But alas your CCF website doesn't like to state the other side of the story.

ReputationRep:
    peta is stupid

i dont give a **** about animals. there are humans suffering even more than this and they complain about some animals

lol do you remember when all these earthquakes and natural disasters happen which kill thousands of people, and then peta starts talking about saving stray cats and dogs in this area lol what a joke!! they dont even care about human life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hunagdi)
    The truth is that there are too many issues for humans to worry about. I could show you pictures of some obscure species of animal suffering, and you would feel guilty about not previously knowing about the plight of said species. Take on and engage with issues closest to heart, but don't feel guilty about remote things.
    Almost every industrial country practices animal cruelty, perhaps most accessibly within the meat industry.

It's not some distant problem.

And if you plan to spout some anthropocentric claims that animal suffering is the least of our worries, which is causing constant and systematic unethical harm, and something more 'relevant', e.g. the economy, should be our primary concern - then I say you're wrong. Or do we value life - any life - so lowly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redkicker)
    peta is stupid

i dont give a **** about animals. there are humans suffering even more than this and they complain about some animals

lol do you remember when all these earthquakes and natural disasters happen which kill thousands of people, and then peta starts talking about saving stray cats and dogs in this area lol what a joke!! they dont even care about human life
    That's probably because they're an animal charity. Ingrid Newkirk has always said she there are plenty of other people to worry about humans, she wants to help the animals that get overlooked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Musty_Elbow)
    I saw this disgusting video.

Seriously, if you don't like gore or cruelty to animals then don't watch this. I don't know how widespread this is, but I have never seen anything like this in my life before.

http://www.peta.org/feat/chinesefurfarms/index.asp

I hate the fact that I need these kind of images in my face before I start to think about an issue like this though.

Wow. That's actually disgusting. Thanks for sharing, will definitely look into PETA in more detail.

To be fair, some 'cruelty' to animals I think is necessary. For instance for important medical research. But that is ridiculus.

Like you said, I'm ashamed it took something that graphic to make me realise this problem. Ignorance is bliss.

ReputationRep:
    Does a mollusc have rights?

ReputationRep:
    I get the whole idea behind treat the animals as well as we can, and there should be appropriate laws in place to protect animals from gross harm.

but I'd preferably like to see human rights atrocities funded more than animal abuse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ragnar_jonsson)
    Almost every industrial country practices animal cruelty, perhaps most accessibly within the meat industry.

It's not some distant problem.

And if you plan to spout some anthropocentric claims that animal suffering is the least of our worries, which is causing constant and systematic unethical harm, and something more 'relevant', e.g. the economy, should be our primary concern - then I say you're wrong. Or do we value life - any life - so lowly?
    I have never stated the unethical treatment of animals is in any way distant or remote. As for your question about life, I ask you what is the immediate thought behind the word 'life' when we use it in daily conversation? People are undoubtedly thinking about human life, not the life of other species. I don't want to sound too pedantic or too philosophical (wittgenstein), but not many people seriously care about animal ethics and people like you need to stop shoving the issue down the throats of others who don't care.

ReputationRep:
    Not a nice video, doubt there's many that would disagree with that but doesnt change my views on the issue, I support peoples choice to wear fur :yep: ... and will continue to wear my leather shoes, leather belt and leather jacket.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not against animal rights, but I hate PETA. I'm not going to trust anything coming from them.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to take a part in animal right your choice....But not PETA they are just a bag of contradictions do some research on them and youll see what I mean

ReputationRep:
    PETA are dicks but yeah, if I see people harming animals for no reason I harm them.

STREET JUSTICE. > : |

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't trust PETA as an objective source on animal rights concerns. However, one interesting thing that my history teacher said is that she believes over the next 100 years the biggest change in ethics we'll see is the advancement of primate rights. Will people in 100 years time be horrified that we kept our closest relatives in captivity? Who knows.

(Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Does a mollusc have rights?
    Of course not, only cute fluffy animals do.

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.