The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

SK-mar
according to wikipedia parrafin oil (kerosene) is obtained from distillation of crude oil or can be extracted from coal.....so you probs have the mark! :smile:

Thank you darlinxxx That made feel a lot lot better - considering its my resit and it had to be good or else my dentistry entry just fades awayxxx
I don't mind if I got a few things wrong, my result can't be much worse than the D I got on resit number 1...
I did all 3 of the previous chemistry 1 papers in the few days leading up to the exam and it was all much the same difficulty. Maybe a bit easier than the first 2, but that's only because Edexcel became a bit more lax after the first year.
iloverocknroll
5:1 . You had to work out the empirical formulam :biggrin:

Was this the answer on option C or D? My maths went completely insane I couldn't figure out which one it was :frown:
amani-puresapphire
Was this the answer on option C or D? My maths went completely insane I couldn't figure out which one it was :frown:

It was C. In the question they said Helium-Neon ratio, so the amount of Helium goes first. *coughs*IAlreadyMadeACockUpLikeThatOnAnotherPastPaper*coughs*
FallenPetal
It was C. In the question they said Helium-Neon ratio, so the amount of Helium goes first. *coughs*IAlreadyMadeACockUpLikeThatOnAnotherPastPaper*coughs*

Aww damn i was thinking they should have written something like that. I stupidly didnt read the question again, selected C, crossed it out and put D. This paper is worse than i expected.
Btw how did people draw the polymer with 2 monomer repeat units? I didn't know whether to put brackets round it and write n or not
woozeybear
Btw how did people draw the polymer with 2 monomer repeat units? I didn't know whether to put brackets round it and write n or not

I put brackets around it, but I didn't think to do the n
Mally-xo
I put brackets around it, but I didn't think to do the n

Hmm I circled the question number and wrote brackets?by the side as I was meant to go back and look at it but never did hmmmm..someone said to draw a single unit and write 2 in front of it but I don't know lol was confused
woozeybear

When they say draw units all you have to do is draw out two identical units joined together and you'll get the marks, provided that the carbons on the end have one unbonded line.

I don't think they'll penalize you for putting brackets round it, but if you really want to know I'd look through one of the 3 old markschemes to see if they penalize it there.
FallenPetal
When they say draw units all you have to do is draw out two identical units joined together and you'll get the marks, provided that the carbons on the end have one unbonded line.

I don't think they'll penalize you for putting brackets round it, but if you really want to know I'd look through one of the 3 old markschemes to see if they penalize it there.

They don't have any questions on it, just one on drawing the polymer hmm..I did what you said usually when it's 50:50 I pick the wrong thing lol :smile: hopefully though!
amani-puresapphire
Aww damn i was thinking they should have written something like that. I stupidly didnt read the question again, selected C, crossed it out and put D. This paper is worse than i expected.

Multiple choice is a minefield of trick questions. And dw, it's only one mark.
Guys wasnt the enthalpy of combustion a positive answer? +760kjmol -1
woozeybear
They don't have any questions on it, just one on drawing the polymer hmm..I did what you said usually when it's 50:50 I pick the wrong thing lol :smile: hopefully though!

You could always try old spec. then I guess, though they may have changed their minds as to whether it is acceptable or not.

And ye, I am well familiar with the 50/50 sods law in exams :s-smilie:
Guys wasnt the enthalpy of combustion a positive answer = 760 Kjmole????
Reply 455
iloverocknroll

yh i got a positive number 700 something but the ppl in here is saying saying they got a negative number
iloverocknroll

I got -ve because heat was given out as the temperature went up which meant that it was exothermic..:s-smilie:
iloverocknroll

You were supposed to add a negative to the front of your answer. Although having said all that i go the sign right and the answer wrong :tongue: Does anyone know if you get marks for getting the sign right?
Reply 458
woozeybear
Hmm I circled the question number and wrote brackets?by the side as I was meant to go back and look at it but never did hmmmm..someone said to draw a single unit and write 2 in front of it but I don't know lol was confused

I drew two of the monomer units and had single bonds between them ,

so: -[CHC6H5-CH2-CHC6H5-CH2]-n

i hope this is right
Reply 459
amani-puresapphire
You were supposed to add a negative to the front of your answer. Although having said all that i go the sign right and the answer wrong :tongue: Does anyone know if you get marks for getting the sign right?

i think for stating its an exothermic reaction (which you did by putting the sign there) then you can get 1 mark.

Latest

Trending

Trending