Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok, in the middle of a huge debate with my friend so any points I can argue would b appreciated!

I'm on the minimum loan, no grant and have minimal support from my parents. My accommodation fees are £700 greater than my loan. How is it fair that I have to get work to afford uni when students from lower income families get a lot more and grants.

Why should I have to take the cheapest room next year, loan still not covering it when my friend can afford the best room with £2000 left over to live off when I will struggle to afford food, electricity etc. I literally had to take the cheapest room I could find.

My arguement is that everyone who moves away to uni should be given the same amount because we are living in the same circumstances and being over 18 why should parental income and not outcome matter?

Im trying not to be arrogant but would like people's thoughts, especially those with simular reasons as me and arguements that I can use in my debate!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure.
    I guess the system at the moment isn't fair - because some people get more money than others. Ideally I suppose what would happen would be that everyone got loans/grants to cover all their accom, tuition, and basic living costs. But the government doesn't have a bottomless pit of money (although it likes to think so) - so they can't afford to pay for everyone to go to uni. So they've had to go for the second best scenario, in which those who can afford to pay for uni can do so, and those who can't get funded.

In the current system therefore, if parents can afford it, they are supposed to pay for their kids. It is unfortunate though that some parents are unwilling to help their children but I don't think that's the fault of the system, more a fault of the parents. Why do your parents refuse to support you? The system is designed so that they should be paying for you.

I do understand the view that everyone should get equal money, but I think it's just the fact that the government doesn't have enough money to do that that is stopping them. And if necessary I'm sure your parents could help you out in a dire situation, whereas someone on a lower income simply couldn't.

I feel for you though, it must suck that your parents won't support you but they earn too much for you to get grants. I'm glad that my parents are going to be supporting me through my degree.

ReputationRep:
    Perfectly reasonable system IMO.

ReputationRep:
    No.. it isnt. Everybody should pay, and if everybody had to pay without grants prices would be lower and people like you OP would get more for your money. If you want to go to uni, you need funding. To get funding you need to work or get it from your parents. Either way, the government should not pay for your academic investment, you should yourself.

ReputationRep:
    you should recieve no bursaries and ****, it's a disgrace that the taxpayer takes the burden, pay for you own education ffs

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why grants couldn't be removed entirely and then the amount of student loan available raised. Then everyone would be in the same situation: borrowing money as an adult as an investment which they will return later. Students from low-income households would still be able to go to uni if the student loan were raised to amount that people could actually subsist off.
    :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    The system is completely fair. The sad thing is most students have no idea how to pay off 20k of debt once they leave.

ReputationRep:
    so let's make this clear
    some of you seem to want students to pay for their own education.
    OK that will be at least £10K a year tuition fees because they are currently heavily subsidised.
    Who will lend this money?
    The Government can't afford it, the current loan subsidy is going to cost the taxpayer a fortune. Only 75% of loans will be paid back by the Govt's own calculations. Presumably then you want the 'adult' solution of commercial bank rates and the 'adult' solution of paying it back as soon as you finish regardless of income.
    You should be careful what you wish for!

ReputationRep:
    I get full loans and grants, but I don't agree with the way those whose parents earn more money get less. I don't think you can really expect parents to cover university costs for 3 or 4 years. At sixth form, I could understand, but most university students are over 18, independent and their parents won't be there during term-time.

Ideally, I'd like to see everybody getting enough loans to cover their maintenance costs and tuition fees, but no grants. I don't see why the taxpayer should pay for my living. They benefit from my education, not from my ice climbing or bitter ale.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why the taxpayer should pay for my living.
    With the loans at present they are doing just that. You pay £3290 a year not the actual cost of £10,000 a year. The taxpayer pays the difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    so let's make this clear
    some of you seem to want students to pay for their own education.
    OK that will be at least £10K a year tuition fees because they are currently heavily subsidised.
    Who will lend this money?
    The Government can't afford it, the current loan subsidy is going to cost the taxpayer a fortune. Only 75% of loans will be paid back by the Govt's own calculations. Presumably then you want the 'adult' solution of commercial bank rates and the 'adult' solution of paying it back as soon as you finish regardless of income.
    You should be careful what you wish for!
    I didn't see any posts saying taxpayers shouldn't fund universities to lower annual tuition fees for the students.

Tuition fees realistically cost at least 4x as much as we pay, and international students see this, because they pay £17k to study a science at Cambridge, £14k to study at Nottingham and what not.

Student study degrees to then go on and contribute in a much more positive manner to society. No doubt plumbers and store managers are essential to running, but so is scientific development and such.

If we're going to talk about tuition fees, then take a look at NUS' Blueprint proposal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    I don't see why the taxpayer should pay for my living.
    With the loans at present they are doing just that. You pay £3290 a year not the actual cost of £10,000 a year. The taxpayer pays the difference.
    You clearly didn't understand.

I don't see why the taxpayer should pay for my living, i.e. I don't see why I should get maintenance grants.

Subsidising degrees through taxes isn't paying for student living - it's investing into the future. Students will come out and be able to contribute to society in ways other people cannot. The money they pay there goes purely into the university, not into the pockets of students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caroline147)
    I don't see why grants couldn't be removed entirely and then the amount of student loan available raised. Then everyone would be in the same situation: borrowing money as an adult as an investment which they will return later. Students from low-income households would still be able to go to uni if the student loan were raised to amount that people could actually subsist off.
    :dontknow:
    This.

Also some parents with a higher income can't afford to heavily subsidise the living costs of their children, especially if they have more than one child.

ReputationRep:
    As fair as it can be. There's no way to take into account every possible situation a student may find themselves in. I do think the option of having an extra year of finance if you mess up or change your mind should be removed though, or if you take it the amount you get should be reduced so you get the same as someone who is taking their degree over 3 years.

ReputationRep:
    Too many people are going into further education; many courses are pure dross.
    The first step is to get rid of the frankly ludicrous idea that 50% of the population should have Bachelors.
    Nobody should have to pay for their degree, regardless of how wealthy ones parents are, full living costs should be available to students allowing said students to complete their studies without any financial concerns, this should be the case regardless as to whether or not the student is studying with a specific occupation in mind or studying due to a passion for a subject that they happen to be intelligent enough to study for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tefhel)
    I'm not sure.
    I guess the system at the moment isn't fair - because some people get more money than others. Ideally I suppose what would happen would be that everyone got loans/grants to cover all their accom, tuition, and basic living costs. But the government doesn't have a bottomless pit of money (although it likes to think so) - so they can't afford to pay for everyone to go to uni. So they've had to go for the second best scenario, in which those who can afford to pay for uni can do so, and those who can't get funded.
    But they could if grants where removed the cost of subsidising the loan is alot less than what they give away in grants! Oh yeah and id like to see use have to pay it back no matter what we earn even if the rate at which someone on a low income pays it back is really small.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brokenangel)
    But they could if grants where removed the cost of subsidising the loan is alot less than what they give away in grants! Oh yeah and id like to see use have to pay it back no matter what we earn even if the rate at which someone on a low income pays it back is really small.
    Actually I agree with that. They should remove grants and give everyone equal loans.

ReputationRep:
    Why are your parents not helping you?

ReputationRep:
    The problem with the system right now is that the goverment expects parents to pay for their children to go through school, which is fair enough, however I know many parents that don't/can't do this. Like my mum although she earns over 20k living costs are in line with that wage so she doesn't have money left over to pay for my education. She also thinks that because I'm over 18 and an adult I should pay for it myself.

It's like the government don't treat us like adults, they still see us as dependants.

I get that we shouldn't rely on the tax payer to pay for our education but I do feel like I am being discriminated against because my mother earns more than someone from a low income family. It's almost like my family is being punished for doing well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by umbrellasky)
    She also thinks that because I'm over 18 and an adult I should pay for it myself.
    What is wrong with paying for it yourself ill likely be paying for a significant proportion of my medical degree myself, why should you pay for your degree.

• create my feed
  • edit my feed

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.